Hex-plus Allen keys? What the Dickens?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've just been away at a trade fair in Munich and ended up having to use my tools to help buld a big machine (I'm sales but will cheerfully muck in when I can). The engineers at work all own their own tools, which meant I had to take my own tools, including my set of hex keys from Aldi...

It turns out my Aldi hex keys aren't all that great, which I should have guessed when the holder fell apart when challenged by a light draft.

So I need some hex keys that are fit for purpose, and have identified what I think looks like a decent set here - http://www.screwfix.com/p/wera-9-piece-hex-plus-hexagon-key-set-ball-end/78506

But what the deuce does 'hex-plus' denote? Will hex-plus keys work with standard hex bolts?

As a supplimental question do ratchet hex keys exist?

Star Strider

They are profiled/dished between the edges to prevent rounding out, Wera ones have been like that for years. They fit all standard metric hex fixings.

They are about the best you can get right now, Wera do also make a ratchet hex driver if you should wish to buy one.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
[QUOTE 2376962, member: 45"]Lidl did a hex ratchet driver a few weeks ago. I got one and it's pretty good. They might have a few left.[/quote]

Cheers, I'm passing the local Lidl later this afternoon so I'll pop in and have a look.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Two features are at play here.

The stubby end - which you use to get most leverage - is fluted which helps prevent rounding out.

The longer, ball end means you can get a limited amount of purchase on the bolt with the key at a range of angles - handy if access is limited.

Star Strider

If you wish to really save mither than a cordless impact driver is about the fastest tool for fitting jobs.

Makita/bosch/dewalt etc etc all make decent ones that use the same quick release driver bits.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Cheers all. To give you an idea if the scales involved - the two parts of the machine we set up total over 3000kg and are partly pulled into alignment by eight M10 bolts. There are then 12 M10 levelling bolts.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
thats tool pron . you should hav ewarned people not to click unless they wanted ( tha actual tool ) . that is just a great tool i want and will find a need for

Ha ha I know that exact feeling! I actually checked my bank account after seeing that tool set!

The last time I obsessed that way I bought a Lenze multi tool and have used it at least ten times a day every day and even the engineers at work think it's great!

Top Bottom