Hey guys... Where do I start??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't suppose someone can explain the gear system I'm just used to the standard 1-5 one hand then maybe 1-7 the other or something but heard its different on a road bike?
If the bike has 'brifters' that's slang for combined brake/gear shifters, then the right hand brake lever, (front brake) has another lever behind it that controls the rear dérailleur, the left brake lever, (rear brake) has the same style lever behind it that controls the front dérailleur.

It's very intuitive and therefore easy to get to grips with :thumbsup:

shifteri.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
The entry level Shimano gearing - 2300 and Sora - (typically on sub £700-800 bike) have a lever behind the brakes and then on the right a thumb button - the lever shifts one way, the button the other

The entry level Shimano gearing - 2300 and Sora - (typically on sub £700-800 bike) have a lever behind the brakes and then on the right a thumb button - the lever shifts one way, the button the other
Good point, forgot about Sora. You can see the thumb shifters on this pic
29060.jpg

Shimano hierarchy starts with 2800, then goes up through Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Ui2, Dura-Ace, Dura-Ace carbon, Di2

I suspect your budget will see you in 2800/Sora territory. Unless you go second hand in which you'll get a lot more bike for your money, but you do need your wits about you and a reasonable amount of knowledge.

[EDIT] as vickster pointed out, it's 2300, not 2800 :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it's 2300 - which is what the Triban has?

To be honest, given the GB love of cycling, with £300, even second hand it'll probably be 2300, maybe Sora. Not Tiagra - I've had a look at fleabay etc, With £300, the Triban is a no brainer, it's new, has a guarantee and if there's an issue, Deacathlon have stores with mechanics around the country :smile:

Just bought a Triban 3 yesterday and think it's awesome for the money. I'm 5'8" and went for a 54 sized frame and it seems to fit perfectly. The guys in store were very helpful and wouldn't let me go before I'd ridden it and knew how to change gear smoothly...all good! Have fitted my Shimano M520 pedals to it and can't wait for my first long ride tomorrow! Good luck!

Top Bottom