Hey guys... Where do I start??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Railingz

So I've always enjoyed cycling as a kid and as a teen but with the Olympics inspiring me I've decided to get my first ever road bike, now I literally dunno where to begin... I was looking a decent 300£ bike from halfords which got good reviews. Then I need to learn about what gear to get too

Just looking for some advice really, thanks

Raging Squirrel

was it a Carerra by any chance? TDF? If so I wouldn't bother, have a look at the Triban 3 online

OP
OP
R

Railingz

I think it was that yeah, any links to that one you recommended? I'm looking for just a "decent" first road bike that's not too pricey, thanks for input bud

:welcome:Railingz :thumbsup:

The TDF is a decent bike, but Halfords service can be very hit and miss.

The Triban 3 does get good reviews, (ignore any views expressed on here by Speedking, the guys just a troll), and Decathlon seem to know how to set their bikes up, whereas Halfords may not depending on the quality of the staff at your local store.

[EDIT] here's a LINK to the Triban :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Railingz

:welcome:Railingz :thumbsup:

The TDF is a decent bike, but Halfords service can be very hit and miss.

The Triban 3 does get good reviews, (ignore any views expressed on here by Speedking, the guys just a troll), and Decathlon seem to know how to set their bikes up, whereas Halfords may not depending on the quality of the staff at your local store.

[EDIT] here's a LINK to the Triban :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy so would that bike be my best bet?

Anything I should know about road bikes, other gear and accessories ??

I can't stress enough the importance of riding as many bikes as you can before you decide. What suits someone else may very well not suit you, this goes for the Triban, the TDF, in fact just about all bikes.

I know Halfords don't tend to allow test rides :thumbsdown:, but i don't know about Decathlon. That said most Decathlon stores are big enough to ride around inside anyway :cycle:

It may be worth your while going to a large chain such as Evans Cycles. They carry wide stocks so you should have a fair few to go at and see what fits best, unless your very tall like me in which case no-one ever stocks larger frame sizes :cry:

As for 'other gear', make sure you know how to change a puncture and get the gear to do this at the roadside, a pump, inner tubes, tyre levers. I also carry a chain tool and a missing link, but these are things you can build up over time as you get more into things.

Clothing wise I'd say comfort first, if you're happy to wear lycra, fill your boots, if not then don't.

Helmets are a very contentious issue. I wear one, many don't.

Clip in pedals are also a love hate thing. I can't ride without them, but if you haven't used them before I'd recommend you get the bike first, get some miles in, then once you are totally comfortable with the bike may be consider going clipless :thumbsup:

Above all make sure you enjoy it.

Good luck and ride safe :thumbsup:

daSmirnov

What are you looking to achieve?

Roads bikes are fun, but *can* take a while to get used to if you've not been on one for a while. Great for commuting too, and carrying moderate loads over smooth surfaces.
Hybrid's are good general purpose work-horses, that are both fast, comfortable and can handle pretty much any terrain. Can be loaded up with luggage and shopping and still ride well.
Mountain bikes, well... Unless ur climbing mountains/extreme off-road best to avoid.

If you wanna be a hardcore lyrca-lout. You'll need clipless shoes and pedals (say £50 + £25 for pedals if the bike comes with flats). Lyrca, Lidl sell cheap stuff when they do bike stuff, but its always pot luck if they have your size in stock. From bike shops the quality goes up but the price does drastically, say £100 to be kitted out with descent padded shorts/jersey/glasses don't forget the gloves. If you come off your hands not your head are probably going to take the brunt of the impact, plus cycling ones are padded to reduce vibration.

OP
OP
R

Railingz

Firstly thanks for the sudden feedback and the very helpful posts guys. I'm a total noob when it comes to road cycling I've only ever rode a bmx and a mountain bike.

I'm not ready to scrap my car and ride everywhere especially with our terrible weather, however on those sunny days a cruise in the car is GREAT but I get utterly jealous when I see a road cyclists and have had many thoughts about hoping on a sick little bike and crusing in the sun.

I just want to get a bike firstly, I'll probably just wear shorts and whatever at first but would like to get the proper gear and look the part as time goes on.

I'm just pretty eager to start cycling. I already bodybuild and love the sport but can see myself with the same passion with cycling, setting times beating PBS the enjoyment etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Height isn't an issue (well not for bike buying) - just need to get one that is the right size - shops and members here will advise

Happy shopping - £300 the Triban is truly a no brainer going on the reviews and feedback :smile:

OP
OP
R

Railingz

Haha so a medium size frame is what I'm looking for I suppose? Do seats adjust on road bikes?

I will defiantly get myself to a decathlon and look at the recommended bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can move the seat up and down and back and forth (all within limits of course) and you can shorten handlebar stems etc :smile:

OP
OP
R

Railingz

Don't suppose someone can explain the gear system I'm just used to the standard 1-5 one hand then maybe 1-7 the other or something but heard its different on a road bike?

+1 for vicksters comments. You can also flip the stem through 180 degrees to give a more relaxed or more racy position with a lot of stems, but any store worth their salt will make sure the bike fits you properly before you pay up.

Don't be fobbed off if they tell you sit on it and ride round the car park, even a basic fitting is far more involved than that. While you won't get a full on fitting without paying for it, your height, reach and leg length should all be taken into consideration when any shop fits you up.

Top Bottom