HGV Cyclist Safety Campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Money? What money? ;):smile:

Yes I think the video is still a go-er. I'm also wondering if there could be some connection with jonny jeez commute guide. Maybe launch publicity for both at the same time.

So who is still on board, or do we need to make a new call?

classic33

Leg End Member
Money? What money? ;):smile:

Yes I think the video is still a go-er. I'm also wondering if there could be some connection with jonny jeez commute guide. Maybe launch publicity for both at the same time.

So who is still on board, or do we need to make a new call?

Still here & still trying to get support from within the industry itself.

If I were to seek camera footage, giving the drivers view point, from the companies would it be usable.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Does anybody think that this is worthwhile?

Dear Mr.Ms. (H+S Director)

You may have read about the tragic death of Catriona Patel. Catriona was killed by a truck owned by Thames Materials which turned left across her. The driver, Dennis Putz, had been drinking, and he was on his mobile phone when he ran over Catriona. Putz is now starting a seven year jail sentence.

None of this needed to happen. Thames Materials employed Putz despite his appalling record. He had twice been jailed for driving offences. He’d been caught driving while disqualified sixteen times. Either Thames Materials didn’t check, or they didn’t care.

We’re pretty sure that you care. Main Contractors have invested endless hours and millions of pounds in Health and Safety on site, and with commendable results. For this we’re all grateful, but we would like you to go one step further. Construction vehicles wreak a terrible cost in lives across London. You can make a difference.

We’re asking Main Contractors to commit to the following

- To gain a commitment from all subcontractors and suppliers that they will not send people with driving convictions to your sites.

- To gain a commitment from all subcontractors and suppliers that they will ensure that by December 31[sup]st[/sup] 2011 all HGV drivers in their employ, whether salaried or not, will be required to undertake training courses sanctioned by the London Cycling Campaign within a month of starting in their employ.

- To gain a commitment from all subcontractors and suppliers that they will ensure that passenger side mirrors on all their commercial vehicles will allow drivers to see cyclists and pedestrians on their left hand side.

We don’t suggest for a second that cyclists should not do their best to keep out of harm’s way, but Catriona didn’t have that option - she was run over from behind by a man who just didn’t care enough to stay sober and refrain from making a telephone call, a man whose record was so appalling that he should never have been let anywhere near the cab of an HGV

We’re looking for a Main Contractor to set a standard that others will follow. Will that be you?

hatler

Guru
Does anybody think that this is worthwhile?

Dear Mr.Ms. (H+S Director)

You may have read about the tragic death of Catriona Patel. Catriona was killed by a truck owned by Thames Materials which turned left across her. The driver, Dennis Putz, had been drinking, and he was on his mobile phone when he ran over Catriona. Putz is now starting a seven year jail sentence.

None of this needed to happen. Thames Materials employed Putz despite his appalling record. He had twice been jailed for driving offences. He’d been caught driving while disqualified sixteen times. Either Thames Materials didn’t check, or they didn’t care.

We’re pretty sure that you care. Main Contractors have invested endless hours and millions of pounds in Health and Safety on site, and with commendable results. For this we’re all grateful, but we would like you to go one step further. Construction vehicles wreak a terrible cost in lives across London. You can make a difference.

We’re asking Main Contractors to commit to the following

- To gain a commitment from all subcontractors and suppliers that they will not send people with driving convictions to your sites.

- To gain a commitment from all subcontractors and suppliers that they will ensure that by December 31[sup]st[/sup] 2011 all HGV drivers in their employ, whether salaried or not, will be required to undertake training courses sanctioned by the London Cycling Campaign within a month of starting in their employ.

- To gain a commitment from all subcontractors and suppliers that they will ensure that passenger side mirrors on all their commercial vehicles will allow drivers to see cyclists and pedestrians on their left hand side.

We don’t suggest for a second that cyclists should not do their best to keep out of harm’s way, but Catriona didn’t have that option - she was run over from behind by a man who just didn’t care enough to stay sober and refrain from making a telephone call, a man whose record was so appalling that he should never have been let anywhere near the cab of an HGV

We’re looking for a Main Contractor to set a standard that others will follow. Will that be you?

Cool.

Has anyone got a list of main contractors ready to hand ?

tonyhgv

Poster is mis leading and not strictly true. Aside from the fact that there is "blindspot" mirror fitted.

As said before this statred as an attempt to try & educate both sides to the danger. Not to lay the blame soley on one party.

Lets remenber that. As a 44 ton hgv class 1 driver who has a mountain bike and a yamaha 1300 xjr motorbike ,car and does regular truck runs to the city of london...this poster is correct and i will tell you why..there is no blindspot mirror on the nearside...there are two mirrors the long one is for normal use but no good once you start turning left and the one at top of door is called a kerbside mirror and that is used for watching the nearside front when reversing in tight spots...if you look at all new( from about 2006) hgv`s there are two more smaller mirrors on both sides placed under long mirror THESE are blindspot mirrors...and in reply to woman killed by truck..if as stated he had been disqualified 16 times there is no way he was an hgv driver ..he would not have got his hgv licence back espeicially for drink driving offences...car licence yes..if you past your car driving test before 1997 you can drive any truck or van upto 7.5 ton on that licence,they are NOT hgv`s.......remember there are good and bad road users in/on all vehicles/bikes etc

Bikepeter

I recently had the misfortune of losing a friend in a cycle accident. She was run over by an HGV after being caught in its blind spot.

It has reopened the debate on cycle safety at crossroads especially busy ones in London about whether more can be done to help reduce the blind spot for HGV's when turning left.

A cheap and effective way of doing this is using the trixiemirror which is attached to the street lights and is used to great effect in Switzerland & Germany already.

This mirrow is incredibly cheap and could be installed tomorrow.

To help with this debate and to try to stop any other lives from being ruined I am trying to make a difference to the safety of the streets.

For more information on this debate take a look at the below petition which has been created in the name of my deceased friend, and I would also be interested in hearing your comments about the suggestion of the trixiemirror and if you think it would save lives.

Peter

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/boris-install-mirrors-that-save-cyclists-lives-petiti.html

Top Bottom