HGV Cyclist Safety Campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Some of the children at my daughter's school had some training recently in relation to HGVs (7/8 years olds I think). It was called the "dode hoek" project which translates as "dead corner" or blind spot and the kids had a chance to sit in the cab to get a sense of what drivers can and can't see. It was nice to see the issue addressed from an early age; might of course help too if they grow up to be HGV drivers.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
classic33- excellent- can you pm me details - life is pretty crazy and in limbo at the moment but that sounds like fantastic news - if there is company hgv input then that is fantastic - I was always under the impression that if we got someone on board we would have to tweak things a little as well. I think I might have a solution to camera crew since Jake's no longer on the board.

If I don't reply- it's cause my net access is a bit unpredictable at present but will reply asap

classic33

Leg End Member
ttcycle said:
classic33- excellent- can you pm me details - life is pretty crazy and in limbo at the moment but that sounds like fantastic news - if there is company hgv input then that is fantastic - I was always under the impression that if we got someone on board we would have to tweak things a little as well. I think I might have a solution to camera crew since Jake's no longer on the board.

If I don't reply- it's cause my net access is a bit unpredictable at present but will reply asap

Done

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hello folks,

not on here for very long but just some questions.

What would we like to achieve? What organisations do we want to work with?
It seems like there are a 100 and 1 different things that people want to campaign for in relation to HGV issues, it might be an idea to try and link in with others to get a more concerted approach as all the different groups have a rather scatter gun approach at the moment.

That's my pennies worth for today.
Hope to be back onto this soon.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think Magnatom got the closest on his opening post in "Time For Action" with regards what wanted doing.
That being to raise the awareness of the dangers of getting too close to a lorry which may end up turning across your path.

Lorry having moved to the right will be turning right, not left. Why would it go to the right if they want to go left?

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
i agree with your sentiments classic on the educational side but also have to highlight that to focus on education of cyclists may be limiting plus, psychologically and what often is a problem with perceptions of police after accidents is blame of the cyclist for doing something wrong which may not have always been the case.

Do you know what I mean? However nuts and bolts this campaign is to basically say on one element - those that don't know, don't filter up the left. However, there are more things.

classic33

Leg End Member
I thought it was to raise awarness, on allsides, with regards what each can do to try & prevent this type of incident. Whilst at the same time showing what can be done to try to reduce the number of incidents.

Some cyclists are not aware that drivers of LGV's need to move out more to the centre of a road when turning left. Thinking there is now space they go up the inside.
The view from the cab can be restrictive for the driver making the turn. Not many people like being caught behind one, especially when it takes up road centre as though it is going to be turning right & not left. The concentration of the driver will be on the things that he can see, or saw & have now been lost from sight. Cyclists are small when compared to a small car.

As for the police blaming the cyclist in an accident. Been there, had that done & set out to prove them wrong & did so. Hit by a drink driver, driving a car with no lights, which wasn't his. I was on the main road, he joined from a side road. Taking me on the bonnet & the bike in front of the vehicle halfway across the road, sideways.

Police & driver initially agreed that I was at fault for being on the road. At night, whilst fully lit up.

Been purposely sideswiped by a lorry on a busy local A-road in the morning rush hour. Spoke to some other drivers from the same company & for me that was better than complaining to the company. They "had words with him" even coming out to let me know they had.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
bloody hell classic...what a awful off!
Still, fantastic progress made about awareness.

I knew what you meant re the above but as this thread/threads have been going for some time; it's good to get a recap.

Origamist

Legendary Member

classic33

Leg End Member
That starts shifting the blame onto the driver. Not what was wanted at the start of this.

Educate all on what the others can & cannot see.
Not place the blame on one party.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mayor and TfL announce major initiatives to improve cycle safety around lorries:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/16139.aspx

The FTA/ TfL Memorandum of Understanding on Cycling

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/memorandum-of-understanding-on-cycling.pdf

New Think! poster:
4768609209_1c093df75f_b.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Poster is mis leading and not strictly true. Aside from the fact that there is "blindspot" mirror fitted.

As said before this statred as an attempt to try & educate both sides to the danger. Not to lay the blame soley on one party.

Lets remenber that.

Origamist

Legendary Member
classic33 said:
Poster is mis leading and not strictly true. Aside from the fact that there is "blindspot" mirror fitted.

As said before this statred as an attempt to try & educate both sides to the danger. Not to lay the blame soley on one party.

Lets remenber that.

What are you going on about. The poster is trying to educate cyclists going up the nearside of a HGV - it's not about blame.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ok folks

still a bit short of time but lets get this show back on the road!!!

We have some cash- is the vid still a viable option?

Top Bottom