HGV driver CPC training online...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Doing this today. What a complete waste of time and money... I don't even drive HGV's any longer, but want to keep my licence live, as you never know what the future brings especially with CV19 being around...

So I have to do 35 hours in front of a laptop listening to somebody reading stuff out of a book... Stuff that any driver should already know, and much of which is irrelevant, e.g. bus drivers sitting listening to instructions on how to load a lorry....

£45 for each 7 hour module. Jobs for the boys, and pretty much worthless in terms of professional development or road safety. Zzzzzz.....

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I had mine t'other day.. 7 hours of my new employers induction.

I did learn one thing. If a truck hits a railway bridge, it can cost £4,000 a minute for any train delays, plus engineers costs etc.

Apart from that, we ate a lot of biscuits! ^_^

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I had mine t'other day.. 7 hours of my new employers induction.

I did learn one thing. If a truck hits a railway bridge, it can cost £4,000 a minute for any train delays, plus engineers costs etc.

Apart from that, we ate a lot of biscuits! ^_^
Moved from Morrisons then IIRC? Who are you with now?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
How of the 35 hours told you how to not to run over vulnerable road users? This is a serious question, not a dig.
To comply with the rules, you only need to do 35 hours theory training. You can, technically, do the same module 5 times over. Only 1 module deals with vulnerable road users, so it is up to the individual if they choose to do that particular module. Sadly, car drivers, being the worst offenders, are exempt from any type of training after passing their very basic driving test.....

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To comply with the rules, you only need to do 35 hours theory training. You can, technically, do the same module 5 times over. Only 1 module deals with vulnerable road users, so it is up to the individual if they choose to do that particular module. Sadly, car drivers, being the worst offenders, are exempt from any type of training after passing their very basic driving test.....
Wow, that is pretty scary. Are you tested on the theory too, or is it just a turn up and try stay awake to pass?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
It is a wonder HGV drivers actually so good on the roads then. It is rare that an HGV causes me problems, I cannot say the same for lighter vehicles like tippers and vans.
Tippers ARE HGV's.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Doing this today. What a complete waste of time and money... I don't even drive HGV's any longer, but want to keep my licence live, as you never know what the future brings especially with CV19 being around...

So I have to do 35 hours in front of a laptop listening to somebody reading stuff out of a book... Stuff that any driver should already know, and much of which is irrelevant, e.g. bus drivers sitting listening to instructions on how to load a lorry....

£45 for each 7 hour module. Jobs for the boys, and pretty much worthless in terms of professional development or road safety. Zzzzzz.....
Yeah, my mate Pete let his lapse once he'd retired, he half wishes he hadn't now.

PeteXXX

How of the 35 hours told you how to not to run over vulnerable road users? This is a serious question, not a dig.
Last CPC, about 15 minutes. The recent one, 2 minutes saying about the H Code review giving cyclists priority. (At which I waved my helmet at them, as I was on the commute that day, and said "Rock on!!" :laugh:)

PeteXXX

They have, or are stopping the repeat of the same module, so I was told. It was pointless tbh.

DRM

Guru
To me it's a load of cobblers, any HGV driver should know off by heart the rules they have to work by, it's just a money making scam, it's not rocket science to load a vehicle correctly, secure the load, know your driving hours regulations, know that if you hit a railway bridge it's expensive etc, etc

Top Bottom