HGV Safety awareness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Andypenson

I think that's in place at the moment especially now that cyclists tend to carry cameras. But ideally we want to stop this dangerous driving without even having to sack people or have an initial problem to get them banned

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think that requiring cyclists to have a chip is the downfall here. A LiDAR system would not require sensors but unfortunately would be more expensive.

I think that's in place at the moment especially now that cyclists tend to carry cameras. But ideally we want to stop this dangerous driving without even having to sack people or have an initial problem to get them banned
Sorry you think HGV drives are banned for those infringements?

I've answered no; for all the reasons above.

+ one more? For London, and even parts of Leeds, even assuming only 50% of cyclists have the chip/app .... I'm guessing the alarm will be going off so often that it will just be ignored as one more frustration.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I answered no because of a couple of reasons....

What if I have the app or chip and my fellow cyclist doesn't..... I'm not sure I want to increase the risk to other cyclists who haven't got the chip in their bike.

And i can decide if I want a driver coming to rely on it rather than looking.

I have plenty of experience with sharing the road with lorries, including experiences I'd rather not have again. I'm seeing more lorries with the audible warning on the roads, and I've seen trials of the system used to detect cyclists without having a chip or app. I would prefer that as then at least the safety measure is passed to the thing that is creating the danger rather than to the cyclist.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I think as has already been pointed out, if the sensor activates when the vehicle is halted or is travelling slowly, then in towns and cities where there is a greater number of cyclists using the road, then the sensor will potentially be going off with, so far as the driver is concerned, an almost constant irritation in the cab. Is that going to make them a more careful driver?

Even if a way was found of muting, or whatever, the signal, drivers will become complacent and assume that no noise = no cyclist. Just look at how dependent some car and lorry drivers have become on satnavs, as one example of in vehicle technology and how in some instances common sense is over ridden by the technology.

If chip technology was available, cyclists will be blamed, or at least finger pointed, if they don't use it. To give you an example, one of the questions on the last police accident report I had to complete, having been hit by a filter lane jumper, was whether I was wearing hi viz clothing. So far I am concerned that has nothing to do with matter. If I am cycling in broad daylight, I should be allowed to wear whatever I want without fear of being hit, or being questioned about what I was wearing. If riding in poor or little light, the relevant questions are concerned with lighting and reflectors on my bike, not my clothing.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I answered "no" to the victim-blaming ideas as HGVs should not be on highways until they are safe enough to use them. Nice that someone is looking to try to solve this problem though.

The problem with those systems they can be delayed or wont be precise especially on a larger lorry scale by adding a chip or App this gives a precise location quickly. It will also help to differentiate cyclists from overall traffic in busy areas

What solutions can you provide to this problem we are still in an early stage of idea generation any ideas are welcome.

Two road haulage firms have recently been stripped of their licences to operate after their employees killed cyclists. One driver was uninsured and unlicensed, the other was over-worked and had fiddled the tacho. If you think either of those companies or any of the hundreds like them would use your app or any sort of alarm system then I'd suggest you haven't really considered the issue.

Drago

Legendary Member
then wat solution can you think of?

We've already told you - stop hiring aggressive knuckle draggers on minimum wage, stop paying tipper truck drivers by the load. When driven carefully and conscientiously (and when cyclists behave the same way around them) lorries present no undue hazard. It's the pond life from the bottom of the employment gene-pool that end up driving so many of them that cause the problems.

Train and tube drivers get paid well and treated well in the expectation they'll perform well and behave, and generally they do because they've too much to lose. Sadly this culture doesn't translate to the road haulage sector. In addition, safety rules on the railways are enforced with an iron fist and infractions are leaped upon and punished mercilessly, unlike our weakly enforced road traffic laws.

You can ram the cab full of every safety gadget you can think of and then some, but stick some aggressive chump behaving the wheel and none of it matters a jot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom