HGV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We call them artics where I come from.

We had one just this week that was trying to squeeze down our narrow Victorian street and couldn't make the corner. I asked him where he was going and he had no need to have left the main road at all. Obviously following a sat nav if some kind set for the shortest route. Me and another guy had to help him reverse back out. Quite amusing really. Luckily he didn't scrape anyone's motor.

I followed one down from the Grane Road in Lancashire, turned off just before Haslingdon down towards Helmshore, chap was going to get himself stuck if he wasn't careful, came to a stop the other side of Helmshore after wiggling through the narrow parked car stretch.

Pulled up next to him, got off the bike, helmet off (was on the motorbike) and asked where he was trying to get to and where he wanted to turn into.

High vis yellow bike jacket and white helmet, cars thought I was police which helped get the chap turned round!

D

Deleted member 1258

The 7.5 ton thing was removing the right for anyone to drive one who didn't pass their test before January 97.

I've got 7.5 ton on my licence, but have always refused to drive a vehicle of that size, some years ago a gaffer got the hump with me when I said no unless he arranged some extra training on it. In the past I've done a lot of mileage on up to 3.5 ton without problems.

Slick

Guru
I've got 7.5 ton on my licence, but have always refused to drive a vehicle of that size, some years ago a gaffer got the hump with me when I said no unless he arranged some extra training on it. In the past I've done a lot of mileage on up to 3.5 ton without problems.
Your quite right, I remember my first run between Lochgilphead and Oban on a 7.5 flat and it wasn't pretty. That was back in the day when they flung anyone a set of keys and told to get in with it.

D

Deleted member 1258

Your quite right, I remember my first run between Lochgilphead and Oban on a 7.5 flat and it wasn't pretty. That was back in the day when they flung anyone a set of keys and told to get in with it.

The first few times I drove the 3.5 ton flat back I had the regular driver with me. Another engineering firm loaded up the little connect van told me where I was going and gave me the keys, that despite the fact that I hadn't driven for about five years.

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5162837, member: 9609"]May be the term LGV just didn't take off any where. The first I ever come across the term was in the harmonisation of driving licences across Europe in 96/97 (which was a good thing as there was a lot of nonsense with HGV licences prior to that) I believe the idea was to split good vehicles up into 3 categories Small (>3.5t) Medium (3.5>7.5t) and Large (>7.5t). Prior to that change I had never heard the term Large Goods Vehicle as an official type description, I still thing that wording exists around the licences and tests, just very few people use it.[/QUOTE]
Remember the old class 3 licence? It changed when they removed that and stopped issuing licences on weight, preferring axles and length.

classic33

Leg End Member
Under both UK and European law the ‘HGV’ (heavy good vehicle) and ‘LGV’ (Large good vehicle) is exactly the same licence. The Classification still stands as HGV/LGV are commercial trucks with a gross combination mass of more than 3500kg.

https://www.hgvtrainingcentre.co.uk/is-there-a-difference-between-hgv-and-lgv/

Levo-Lon

Guru
I can drive a 7.5 tonner with my license , but it all sounds like hard work to me.
Mutidrop with a bipper would be bad enough :laugh:

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5163033, member: 9609"]going back to when I started (early 80s) Class 3 was for any 2 axle ridged. Class 2 was any ridged vehicle (3 & 4 axle) and Class 1 was Artics.

The daftness then was, there was no licence restrictions for pulling trailers. So a class 3 driver, could pull a 3 axle trailer with a 2 axle wagon, the drawbar combination (known now as 'wag & drag') was a bigger vehicle than the artic. (same weight but about 30% more load bed) And then there was the percuilularity surrounding pulling dollies, nobody seemed to know what the law was if you pulled a dolly behind a wag & drag, showmen/fairground used to do it all the time, police used to stop them then stand about looking puzzled.

The whole thing was a complete mess, if I remember correctly the road tax on a 32t artic was about £1600 a draw bar running at the same weight was £350 and you could pay the driver less as it was class 3 not class1 - fights used to break out at truckstops between artic drivers and drawbar boys - LOL[/QUOTE]
Ha ha, I think they still do. :laugh:

I didn't realise about the drag anomaly, just a bit before my time, but not much. I knew the old class 3 was for a 4 wheeler but it was already gone by the time I went for my licence. I still reckon that's when they started referring to it as Lgv as that's obviously when they changed the criteria.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5163033, member: 9609"]going back to when I started (early 80s) Class 3 was for any 2 axle ridged. Class 2 was any ridged vehicle (3 & 4 axle) and Class 1 was Artics.

The daftness then was, there was no licence restrictions for pulling trailers. So a class 3 driver, could pull a 3 axle trailer with a 2 axle wagon, the drawbar combination (known now as 'wag & drag') was a bigger vehicle than the artic. (same weight but about 30% more load bed) And then there was the percuilularity surrounding pulling dollies, nobody seemed to know what the law was if you pulled a dolly behind a wag & drag, showmen/fairground used to do it all the time, police used to stop them then stand about looking puzzled.

The whole thing was a complete mess, if I remember correctly the road tax on a 32t artic was about £1600 a draw bar running at the same weight was £350 and you could pay the driver less as it was class 3 not class1 - fights used to break out at truckstops between artic drivers and drawbar boys - LOL[/QUOTE]
Fairground wagons can be a bit 'extreme'

View: https://youtu.be/3zB_2gVDibQ

Top Bottom