Hi all - Lockdown Newbie here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunja99

Hi all,

Wanted to introduce my self to the forum, and where I am in my cycling journey. During lockdown I dug out a "hybrid" falcon I acquired free about 4 years ago, changed the tyres, and got out with my other half and the kids a bit and started to enjoy it. I have been a keen runner for about 8 - 9 years and in my local club there are a lot of cyclists/tri athletes (all the way to Iron Man and more!), but have always been a bit scared to ride on the roads!

About a month ago a friend of mine offered to let me borrow his 17 year old Cannondale Bad Boy. We did 25 miles, I loved it... So much so started to look into bikes, was going to spend a decent whack on something new, then realised the market isn't great. Being new into bikes had road bikes, cyclocross, gravel, hybrids... OMG so much to learn, and what to get.

I asked on my running club FB group for some information on flats vs drops, and was offered rides on theirs etc, until someone linked me a B'TWIN Triban 500SE for sale. I jumped at the chance, and had it home in less than a day. Ut's in GREAT condition, and done under 400 miles for a 5 year old bike that's great. The guy I bought it off is a member of a local club, and known to friends of mine. They selling for more than I bought it for on ebay, is a fraction of what I was willing to spend, so means more on accessories, etc! My work collegues are very very keen cyclists, and one of them gave it a good service, and said wasn't much to do, all in great condition, I've lucked out there!

So I've done 3 long (25, 25 and one 36 mile ride on it), including not one but 2 BIG hills (Cheshire Killer Mile accidentally) in one ride! I just love it. I'm struggling a "little" with the brakes on drops (small fingers), and having never used drop bars before was worried about gears too, but that just "clicked" love it. Apparently the bars were turned up too much, so rotated them down a little for my next ride.

Bought some bits and bobs and cleaning/maintenance stuff, been reading loads on these forums, and checking out Park Tool and GCM on Youtube. I've learnt a LOT in a couple of weeks! I've got track pumps, inner tubes, CO2 canisters, saddle bag, bottle cage bag, multi tool, mini pump, etc, etc...

What I am wondering is how to find out what "parts" are on my bike. Seems part shimano, and part "Microshift" (the shifters, are them), not one of the three main makes I've seen mentioned. I've tried searching decathlon for information on it, but for example if I were to need new shifters, cables, brake pads, bottom bracket (under pressure going up the hills it creaked a little) how do I know what to replace with? As I say it's a B'TWIN Triban 500SE from 2015, was bought new from Decathlon, any information would be great?

So here I am on what I hope to be a long love for cycling (until I jump in the open water and start tris!)

Gunja!

PS. Sorry for long post ;)

Attachments

• 20200628_092443.jpg
    20200628_092443.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 21

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi all,

Wanted to introduce my self to the forum, and where I am in my cycling journey. During lockdown I dug out a "hybrid" falcon I acquired free about 4 years ago, changed the tyres, and got out with my other half and the kids a bit and started to enjoy it. I have been a keen runner for about 8 - 9 years and in my local club there are a lot of cyclists/tri athletes (all the way to Iron Man and more!), but have always been a bit scared to ride on the roads!

About a month ago a friend of mine offered to let me borrow his 17 year old Cannondale Bad Boy. We did 25 miles, I loved it... So much so started to look into bikes, was going to spend a decent whack on something new, then realised the market isn't great. Being new into bikes had road bikes, cyclocross, gravel, hybrids... OMG so much to learn, and what to get.

I asked on my running club FB group for some information on flats vs drops, and was offered rides on theirs etc, until someone linked me a B'TWIN Triban 500SE for sale. I jumped at the chance, and had it home in less than a day. Ut's in GREAT condition, and done under 400 miles for a 5 year old bike that's great. The guy I bought it off is a member of a local club, and known to friends of mine. They selling for more than I bought it for on ebay, is a fraction of what I was willing to spend, so means more on accessories, etc! My work collegues are very very keen cyclists, and one of them gave it a good service, and said wasn't much to do, all in great condition, I've lucked out there!

So I've done 3 long (25, 25 and one 36 mile ride on it), including not one but 2 BIG hills (Cheshire Killer Mile accidentally) in one ride! I just love it. I'm struggling a "little" with the brakes on drops (small fingers), and having never used drop bars before was worried about gears too, but that just "clicked" love it. Apparently the bars were turned up too much, so rotated them down a little for my next ride.

Bought some bits and bobs and cleaning/maintenance stuff, been reading loads on these forums, and checking out Park Tool and GCM on Youtube. I've learnt a LOT in a couple of weeks! I've got track pumps, inner tubes, CO2 canisters, saddle bag, bottle cage bag, multi tool, mini pump, etc, etc...

What I am wondering is how to find out what "parts" are on my bike. Seems part shimano, and part "Microshift" (the shifters, are them), not one of the three main makes I've seen mentioned. I've tried searching decathlon for information on it, but for example if I were to need new shifters, cables, brake pads, bottom bracket (under pressure going up the hills it creaked a little) how do I know what to replace with? As I say it's a B'TWIN Triban 500SE from 2015, was bought new from Decathlon, any information would be great?

So here I am on what I hope to be a long love for cycling (until I jump in the open water and start tris!)

Gunja!

PS. Sorry for long post ;)
I'm glad you're enjoying your cycling

I have a couple of bikes from Decathlon. For basic stuff I can either read the part references on the parts themselves or its on the Decathlon website. However, they do change their specs over time

If I'm unsure then I call up the bike maintenance department of my nearest Decathlon, this usually does the trick as they can access the central database of specifications. Worst comes to the worst, I've taken the relevant component off the bike and taken it to them to look at in person

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Thanks nickyboy. Will be things as brake pads and possibly the bottom bracket. Shifters, etc I'd be able to find out, but did think that there would be a lot of minor changes even between the same bikes at times :smile:

Looking forward to my weekend ride, can see so much more and go further than the runs I do :smile:

FitMum

Regular
Hi! Great to see another runner starting cycling. I love running marathons, and swimming. Now I have my eye on the London Classics medal, so getting into cycling too. Do you find it harder than running? I hate the hills....

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Hi! Great to see another runner starting cycling. I love running marathons, and swimming. Now I have my eye on the London Classics medal, so getting into cycling too. Do you find it harder than running? I hate the hills....
Hi Fitmum,

I've done around 15 marathons and ultras, not jumped in the pool/lake yet, but hey will do (I was a good swimmer as a kid!). I've found getting to 35 miles quite easy (but I've now run every day since 1st April, 103 and counting), so have a reasonable level of fitness. I find it easier, but NOT the hills. Boy we have a hill near here called the killer mile. I used to rep it on foot quite easily, tried to cycle it a few weeks ago... Hah! Guess need more hill practise, and choosing the right gears, but that'll come I'm sure. I started running 1.5 miles and struggling, and can knock out a HM on demand these days!

Not sure what I'll do competitively, but boy do I wanna do an Ironman one day.... Better get that wetsuit ;)

Good luck!

Shreds

Whilst Decathlon is good for a start, you may progress beyond their offerings? Local bikes shops offer a wealth of knowledge, but better still, if you can do some basic bits yourself, you will never get caught out.

As a manual for bike maintenance, look up Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance.

Local clubs also have a vast amount of knowledge from members that is free.

Which bit of Cheshire are you in? I know it well from years ago.

The gearing on your bike may make your hill slog easier?

(Presume you are likely East /Pennine side).

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
From what i can find on the internet...

Frame
6061 T6 aluminium sloped tube with socket for integrated headset. Short geometry, 1.9 kg in size 57, solid frame.
Available in 5 sizes for users from 1.65 m to 2 m tall.
Fork / suspension
B'Twin Sport carbon fork with aluminium pivot (550 g).
Drivetrain
Highly precise 8-speed Microshift shifters with a very sturdy design. Ergonomic and very comfortable, these shifters are pleasant for any size hands to use. Very precise front and rear Microshift derailleur ensuring amazingly-smooth chain crossovers.
Cassette: 12 x 25.
Crankset / cassette
Aluminium 50/39/30 triple chainring, crankset works perfectly on all types of flat and inclined terrain.
Two crank sizes: 170 mm and 175 mm, depending on the size of the frame.
Brakes
B'Twin double pivot with pads mounted on brake shoes to make it easy to replace when worn down without changing the position of the brakes.
Handlebars / stem / steering
B'Twin oversize, compact handlebar stem, with component sizes that are proportional to the size of the frame (stem length: 80 mm to 130 mm on a size 63 bike).
Wheels
B'Twin aluminium double-wall rim with eyelets, 32 stainless steel spokes, front and rear quick-release hubs.
Tyres
Hutchinson Equinox (Section 23): an excellent tyre for training sessions at a fast pace.
Weight: 290 g. Equipped with steel beads.
Bi-material rubber: the tread is harder than the sidewalls; mounted on a 66 TPI carcass.
Saddle / seat post
B'Twin aluminium seat post with a BTR screw adjustment (29.8 mm diameter). Ergonomic B'Twin saddle that is comfortable even on long rides.

Brand names for parts are never really mentioned unless they are higher spec'd bikes. So im guessing they change suppler based on availability and most of it comes from an unknown factory in China for cost cutting reasons. None the less the important info is there.

This was pulled from a persons for sale thread in another forum so i am unaware if the the decription includes any modifications to the bike. It looks to be pretty stock though. You can order parts based off these specs and upgrade everything if you wanted to with this info.

Lozz360

Veteran
Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a pair of B’twins. One of which is the 500SE also from 2015. There is a FB page called Decathlon Velo Club (it used to be the B’twin club but changed to include the new Decathlon brands). The FB page is a good source of info if you have any queries. The site is frequented owners and Decathlon staff.

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Brilliant information guys, will have to make sure pin this for when anything "major" happens/requried. I'll be OK with gear, cable, tyres, rubes maintenance. It'll be when issues happen with bottom brackets, cranks, etc. I know they microshift shifters (think Shimano compatible). Having cleaned it all up nicely (not that was in a bad state), can read the ratios on the bracket, and cranks too. All massive learning curve, and with the info here, a couple of very keen experienced cyclists in the office, and other net sites, think I am sorted. However if I really enjoy it and keep at it, an upgrade might be on the cards next year when all this C19 is over!

I live near to Sandbach BTW @Shreds work Knutsford (not gonna commute the 17 miles on the A50 though!)

FitMum

Regular
Hi Fitmum,

I've done around 15 marathons and ultras, not jumped in the pool/lake yet, but hey will do (I was a good swimmer as a kid!). I've found getting to 35 miles quite easy (but I've now run every day since 1st April, 103 and counting), so have a reasonable level of fitness. I find it easier, but NOT the hills. Boy we have a hill near here called the killer mile. I used to rep it on foot quite easily, tried to cycle it a few weeks ago... Hah! Guess need more hill practise, and choosing the right gears, but that'll come I'm sure. I started running 1.5 miles and struggling, and can knock out a HM on demand these days!

Not sure what I'll do competitively, but boy do I wanna do an Ironman one day.... Better get that wetsuit ;)

Good luck!
Wow, impressive, I've done only 6 marathons, pregnancy jumped in the way too. Glad to see you find hills as hard as me, and agree the more we do the better we get, practice is everything. Good luck with your swimming, I am still hoping to do 2 mile Swimserpentine this September if it goes ahead ;-) Then will try to get into triathlons too ;-)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Wow, impressive, I've done only 6 marathons, pregnancy jumped in the way too. Glad to see you find hills as hard as me, and agree the more we do the better we get, practice is everything. Good luck with your swimming, I am still hoping to do 2 mile Swimserpentine this September if it goes ahead ;-) Then will try to get into triathlons too ;-)

Congratulations!:wub: sounds like you'll be giving birth to an Olympic medallist! :wahhey:

Top Bottom