Hi All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JakeSmith87

Hi All

I’m a Media Student doing some research on an essay article I’m writing. I’m doing a piece on the debate whether cycle helmets should be mandatory or not.

You all look like a really friendly group of people and I would really appreciate your comments and opinions.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and :welcome:
I would say that cycle helmets are becoming the norm in cycling and there is no need to make it mandatory.
I think that peer pressure and the fact that helmets are mandatory in pro cycling and amateur cycling events has gone a long way to cycling helmets becoming a normal occurrence in cycling.

Tyke

Should be left up to the individual not mandatory. In saying that I always have mine on or I don't ride. My choice though.

OP
OP
J

JakeSmith87

Thanks simon.r, will check that out ^_^
I've seen lots of arguments against them being being made compulsory, saying that it would actually discourage people from cycling. Do you think this is true?

simon.r

Person
Thanks simon.r, will check that out ^_^
I've seen lots of arguments against them being being made compulsory, saying that it would actually discourage people from cycling. Do you think this is true?

FWIW, my personal opinion is that it would discourage 'casual' cyclists, mainly because it reinforces the belief that cycling is dangerous (why would you wear a helmet it it wasn't?)

Watch this for some opinions from the Netherlands (start at 4 minutes for the helmet bit):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1IGKaol_M

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Jake and :welcome:.

Another helmet wearer here who thinks that helmets should absolutely NOT be compulsory. I started wearing one because of pressure from family and friends and now I feel comfortable wearing it.

I do however strongly feel that the choice of whether or not to wear a helmet should be down to the individual. Whatever happened to the idea of people being responsible for their own decisions/actions?:blink:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I wear a helmet partly because the Australian government started forcing its citizens to wear them for cycling a few decades ago, but also because I don't trust Australian motorists and so need something on which to mount my video camera. If our stupid MHL* was repealed, I'd continue wearing a helmet, for the 2nd above-mentioned reason.

The introduction of the MHL (in my opinion) had a significant deterrent effect on cycling in Australia, and cemented Australia's status as a nation focussed on the motor vehicle to the exclusion of common sense and regard for the environment. If I sound bitter about that, it's because I am.

* MHL = mandatory helmet law.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hi :smile:

I always wear a helmet (and always have done) but I think people should be left to decide if they want to or not.
You can fall over in the street, hit your head and cause severe trauma, just as easily as you can falling off a bike (at speed or otherwise).
What next? Make everyone who goes outside for a walk wear one? :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom