hi! another bike comparison thread. sorry! 600 quid hybrid Trek Ds3 Cannondale Quick CX4 Pinnacle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosimo83

hi. i live in the English countryside, Stratford Upon Avon to be precise. just moved here! hoping to cycle once a week to work, 10.5 miles, country roads and at weekends 5 miles. most of my time i hope to be cycling on the road and the occasional bike track path. 6ft 3, bit of a newb, sorry, which bike would you suggest i buy on ride to work at evans. can't buy Boardman unfortunately

looking at Hoy Shizuoka 625 002
trek ds 3 2018 625
cannondale quick cx4 599
pinacle Neon 3 600

any other suggestions?

comfort and speed would be cool!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hybrids at this price point tend to be much of a muchness. Almost down to which colour you like. Get down to Evans and throw a leg over them. You can cross the Trek off the list as it has suspension forks which you really don't need.
They'll try to sell you a Pinnacle as its their own in house brand.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you break down the bikes you mentioned cosimo, you have to think specifically what you want the bike for...the majority of its use.
Track and trail, road, path and quality of those. The bikes can be split into two groups really, the Hoy and Pinnacle are rigid forked, slimmer tyred, double cranked hybrids, 2x9 speed. They'e more suited to smoother surfaces, a faster ride with the gears they have available but if it' very hilly, you may find it a bit harder with these bikes. They're also the two lightest bikes at around 10kg.

The Trek and Cannondale are suspension forked which will give you a better ride on tracks etc but obviouly add weight. Tyres are wider, better for tracks, gearing is lower so won' be as fast on the road but better on hills.
The Trek is a 3x9 setup, more gears, and has a wide range back sprocket...a bit easier on hills again. , Cannondale is a 3x8 setup, which partly is why it' a bit cheaper.

Both those bike are around 13kg, mainly because of the suspension forks.

All 4 bikes will be ok on the road or track/trail, but each has it's slight benefits on specific surfaces...but they'e all good bikes.

Happy hunting.

vickster

Legendary Member
You say most time road thus, the Hoy or Pinnacle will be more appropriate. Get your local evans to get them in in your size(presumably XL) and try them out. Think you'll need to pay £60 deposit which is refundable

There may well be other options, go to Evans and see what floats your boat :smile:

Why will you only cycle to work once a week on your cycle to work bike? Once you get into it and fitter, 10.5 miles really isn't terribly far unless it's strIght up the side of a mountain

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I enjoy my Trek hybrid. It has a front suspension fork which I have found to help on the trails and the washboard roads that I encounter on my commute (and does not add that much weight). My two cents, if you want a bike that is just as confident on dirt and gravel as on pavement that is what I'd go with as it is a reliable and comfortable ride on all surfaces in my experience. The larger 'granny gear' is also helpful on some of our very steep hills here, but if you live in a mostly flat area that probably won't make a difference to you.

Drago

Legendary Member
Test ride 'em, see which one you like the bestest. Spec sheets are a good starting point for drawing up a shortlist, but are not a guaranteed indicator of a bikes ultimately feel and performance.

OP
OP
C

cosimo83

thank you so much everyone for the guidance. there is a trail path lane between fields i am considering taking, a 15 min cycle ride which may eliminate the Hoy. for the most part, it's road and it's Warwickshire so a few hills

vickster

Legendary Member
If you decide on suspension, make sure it’s a decent fork with a lock out or it’ll be hard work and slower on roads

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As you're in Stratford on Avon why don't you have a look at Pashley bikes which are made there, bit traditional but they have some cracking bikes. Might be nice to have one that's locally made I believe Evans do them.

Top Bottom