Hi, another newbee joining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Taz

Hi,
I'm Taz and I'm in Glasgow.I'm currently a full-time post-grad student and I'm on a low budget (I've actually just decided to get a bike because its more environmentally friendly and saves me money in the longer run) but wasn't really sure were to look for help and while googling for reveiws on the raleigh panache (thinking of buying), I stumbled across this site. Read a few of the threads and really liked the advice given.

I know this is were newbees like me say hi and stuff, but I thought I would ask the question that I really need help with. I'm pretty new to cycling, but I have had a bike in the past (second hand mountain bike and I was only on it twice, the gears wouldn't change and there were many other problems with it, so I donated it to bike station). Anyhow, bike station get donated bikes and they refurbish and sell them, I went in the other day and saw the raleigh panache for £100 (looked great) had the original mudgaurds and rack. My question is, is the raleigh panache a good bike or should I look for another? I don't know much about bikes, so I have no idea.

Thank you for reading

Taz

jhawk

Veteran
Welcome mate! I don't know much about the Raleigh Panache and therefore can't speak from experience. But, you're definitely at the right place to learn all that stuff!

Reactions: Taz

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome: from me.
I also can't advise on the bike but I'm sure you'll get lots of help from lots of places!
I ride a full suspension mountain bike, mainly on cycle paths, towpaths and light trails.
Just back to biking after several years break and loving it!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Hullo! What's your budget? Folk round here can't get enough of the Triban 3 for £299

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Hi Taz, and :welcome:

Which Uni are you at? If UG, you can say hi to me if you see someone parking a bike in front of 70 uni ave in the morning:thumbsup:

I don't know about the bike you mention, but in general I would recommend getting a test ride to make sure the gearing is appropriate for you, and that brakes and shifters are set up nicely. Have a quick look over the frame, too, and check for any visible damage. For riding around town the requirements for a bike really aren't all that high - the most important thing is reliability and comfort.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi Taz and welcome

You really will save money using a bike, as well as feeling fitter and healthier, so I hope you really enjoy riding. If I were you I would put up a second post in the Bikes - What Bike part of the forum, with the headline "Should I buy this Raleigh Panache?" and swarms of advisors will descend. Just make it clear that you're a beginner, or you might get people suggesting you rebuild it from scratch or something (there are some serious techies on here!).

I used to drive a car for my commute and the worst expense was parking. I still have to use a car sometimes (for carrying stuff or being out very late or having to dress up), but even with a short, part-time commute I reckon I saved about £1,000 last year.

NB I drive a cheap-ish hybrid (less than £300 new) and it's great for commuting.

OP
OP
T

Taz

Hullo! What's your budget? Folk round here can't get enough of the Triban 3 for £299

Hi,
I'm on a pretty low budget as I'm a self funded post grad and with no part time job so it's roughly around £100-150, I could probably push it up to £200 depending on what comes with the bike as I'm hoping for one mudguards and rack. I know with the price I've put down I won't get a decent new hybrid but it would be something to get started on.

OP
OP
T

Taz

Hi Taz, and :welcome:

Which Uni are you at? If UG, you can say hi to me if you see someone parking a bike in front of 70 uni ave in the morning:thumbsup:

Hi Rasmus,
I'm studying at UWS (previously Paisley uni). It's roughly 8 miles from my house, depending on route, so that would be 16 miles a day when I get into cycling to uni and back. So, something that can handle that and not cause to much trouble is what I'm looking for.

Top Bottom