Hi, another newbee joining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Taz

Hi Taz and welcome

You really will save money using a bike, as well as feeling fitter and healthier, so I hope you really enjoy riding. If I were you I would put up a second post in the Bikes - What Bike part of the forum, with the headline "Should I buy this Raleigh Panache?" and swarms of advisors will descend. Just make it clear that you're a beginner, or you might get people suggesting you rebuild it from scratch or something (there are some serious techies on here!).

I used to drive a car for my commute and the worst expense was parking. I still have to use a car sometimes (for carrying stuff or being out very late or having to dress up), but even with a short, part-time commute I reckon I saved about £1,000 last year.

NB I drive a cheap-ish hybrid (less than £300 new) and it's great for commuting.
Hi,
Thanks for the advice, will do that now. I also have a car but I don't want to use it for everything, I only want to use it if the weather is really bad and which would be troublesome for cycling.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Taz and :welcome:.

I wasn't familiar with the Raleigh Panache either but I had a niggling memory of having seen the model mentioned which led me to this thread: link.

Is that the type you're looking at? If so it'll be from around the early to mid 1990s and the frame will made from either Raleigh's own blend steel tubing (entry level but good quality) or 4130 cro-moly if it's a slightly later one (also good) and should be decent to ride and easy to live with if it's been nicely refurbished.

As mentioned above, it would be a good idea if you can test ride it and see whether you get on with the gears.

Reactions: Taz

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Hi,
I'm on a pretty low budget as I'm a self funded post grad and with no part time job so it's roughly around £100-150, I could probably push it up to £200 depending on what comes with the bike as I'm hoping for one mudguards and rack. I know with the price I've put down I won't get a decent new hybrid but it would be something to get started on.

You'd be surprised! Have you identified your local independent cycle repair place? Our local (the Bike Doctor) does a fine line in bikes around the £150 mark, and you know you're getting a lot for your money.

OP
OP
T

Taz

Hi Taz and :welcome:.

I wasn't familiar with the Raleigh Panache either but I had a niggling memory of having seen the model mentioned which led me to this thread: link.

Is that the type you're looking at? If so it'll be from around the early to mid 1990s and the frame will made from either Raleigh's own blend steel tubing (entry level but good quality) or 4130 cro-moly if it's a slightly later one (also good) and should be decent to ride and easy to live with if it's been nicely refurbished.

Hi Phil,
It is exactly like that one. I tried it out and it was nice but I'm not sure about the drop-down handle bars and the lever for changing the gears.

OP
OP
T

Taz

You'd be surprised! Have you identified your local independent cycle repair place? Our local (the Bike Doctor) does a fine line in bikes around the £150 mark, and you know you're getting a lot for your money.

Hi Andrew,
I have been to two (bike station and gorbals recycles), both get donated bikes and they either refurbish them and sell them on or do custom builds. Gorbals recycle mainly does custom builds and they start of at £150, bike station on the other hand mainly do refurbish bikes but they don't get many hybrids.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Phil,
It is exactly like that one. I tried it out and it was nice but I'm not sure about the drop-down handle bars and the lever for changing the gears.
I can understand that. I used to have a Dawes which was a similar sort of spec and I didn't like the drop bars or the shift lever either (although mine was on the downtube - i'd probably have liked it better if it was on the stem like the one in the link).

It could be converted to a straight bar, or it might be worth talking to the people at the Bike Station, letting them know what you're looking for and perhaps they'd let you know when something more suitable comes in.

It might also be worth checking round to see if any of the local bike shops keep a few second-hand bikes. My sister got a scruffy but sound Dawes Mojave from one of our local shops for £100. Serviced and a new chain and freewheel on it - the only essential extra cost was some new tyres as the old ones were about at the end of their life.

OP
OP
T

Taz

[quote="Rickshaw Phil
it might be worth talking to the people at the Bike Station, letting them know what you're looking for and perhaps they'd let you know when something more suitable comes in.

It might also be worth checking round to see if any of the local bike shops keep a few second-hand bikes. My sister got a scruffy but sound Dawes Mojave from one of our local shops for £100. Serviced and a new chain and freewheel on it - the only essential extra cost was some new tyres as the old ones were about at the end of their life.[/quote]

They don't get many hydrids and you have to go in and check usually on a Saturday to see what they have (as thats the day when all the refurbished bikes are put on the floor).

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and a warm :welcome: to you.
I hope the advice already given will be of assistance.
I particularly liked Rickshaw Phil's advice.

Top Bottom