Hi, Can anyone advise on a route to Cornwall!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Striddy

Hi, I am completely new to planning long distance rides, but having done a few organised ones I want to break out and ride from near Tewkesbury in Worcestershire to St Mawes near Falmouth in Cornwall. I can manage around 70-80 miles a day on good roads. Any advise would be much appreciated!

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Do NOT ride on the A30

Low Roller

I used to live in Cornwall and have pedalled around it a bit on a laden touring bike. I didn't like the National Cycle route network. It takes you everywhere and in many places you plunge down short steep hills without pedalling then need to push back up the other side. If I was going south from Exeter I would take the back road to Okehampton go to Bridestowe ( decent campsite next to a pub there) then to Lifton and on to Launceston. Some might think this strange , but I would then stick to the main roads ( A 395 and A39) to Camelford and Wadebridge. If you can hit the A39 early on a Sunday morning there won't be much traffic. The gradients are much better than the cycle routes. Carry on the A39 to St Columb and meander through to the B3275 Ladock and Truro. Take the back roads from Truro to Carnon Downs and you are just about there.

Ther is a site called CycleStreets

This allows you to put in a start and finish position and will then give you a fast, quiet and balanced route to assess.

The tracks can then be downloaded and either used or entered into other programmes for tweaking

It is not perfect, but has always been a reasonable start for most route planning.

Top Bottom