Hi, Cycling with health issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ged I

Hi,
Always wanted to cycle more than I could due to health issues, as an Asthma sufferer with traffic fumes, pollen, cold air and a whole load of other stuff that gets in the way. Been cycling about 18 months now when suitable conditions allow. Heres the bit: the bike I now use in an electric bike that takes away alot of the above issues due to not working so hard, hense not breathing so hard but enough to increase the heart rate, get the blood lungs and legs going. May be electric bikes are frowned upon by purists, but in my circumstances they have allowed me to enjoy the cycling experince of a 24 mile round trip commute to work.

When I was in the store choosing my bike (outside actually) a child and mother was walking past, when the child said "look mummy theres bikes for lazy people" I was a little annoyed at the time as they had no idea of my circumstances and I most certainly was not going to enlighten them. It just seems to me people draw their own conclusions before giving any thought as to why..

Any thoughts or comments on the whole electric bike scene? oh and by the way I'm lovin it.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Ged - welcome!

Electric bikes - if an electric bike suits you, just ignore the comments! It sounds like your electric bike is helping you to be less lazy!
I wonder if that child was driven to the store? Who would be the lazy one then?

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hi,
Always wanted to cycle more than I could due to health issues, as an Asthma sufferer with traffic fumes, pollen, cold air and a whole load of other stuff that gets in the way. Been cycling about 18 months now when suitable conditions allow. Heres the bit: the bike I now use in an electric bike that takes away alot of the above issues due to not working so hard, hense not breathing so hard but enough to increase the heart rate, get the blood lungs and legs going. May be electric bikes are frowned upon by purists, but in my circumstances they have allowed me to enjoy the cycling experince of a 24 mile round trip commute to work.

When I was in the store choosing my bike (outside actually) a child and mother was walking past, when the child said "look mummy theres bikes for lazy people" I was a little annoyed at the time as they had no idea of my circumstances and I most certainly was not going to enlighten them. It just seems to me people draw their own conclusions before giving any thought as to why..

Any thoughts or comments on the whole electric bike scene? oh and by the way I'm lovin it.
Hello and :welcome: from me too.
I'd ignore it. As I know from experience, people love to presume and will have their own opinions, so just leave them to think what they want.
You are out there, getting some exercise, which is brilliant. I wonder if they'd pass comment on someone in a wheelchair, pushing themselves along? I doubt it.
Your illness is one that can't be seen and you don't need to explain it, or your choices, to anyone.

Welcome Ged!

As the other's have said, ignore them and have fun on two wheels.
Over the past two years, the comments I've received being on the bike (I'm a large fella) have sometimes knocked my confidence, but the plus comments I've received by far make up for those idiots.

Just keep going!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Welcome Ged!

As the other's have said, ignore them and have fun on two wheels.
Over the past two years, the comments I've received being on the bike (I'm a large fella) have sometimes knocked my confidence, but the plus comments I've received by far make up for those idiots.

Just keep going!
:highfive: from a bigger gal :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @Ged I and :welcome:.

The electric bike scene in this country is still at quite an embrionic stage at the moment meaning snide comments are still quite likely from those not used to seeing them around. (Conversely, it's become a major part of the cycle market on the continent.) Don't let it get you down and just enjoy your riding.:thumbsup:

As an asthmatic and someone suffering with the tree pollen at the moment I can understand your position. My asthma has improved massively over the last few years thanks to cycling (to the extent that for the first time, my inhaler recently date-expired before running out of doses :hyper:) and I hope you will benefit the same way.^_^

Last edited:
Haha, much love for the curvy ladies!

Oh, Ged, may I add, I started cycling not only for my health (seriously obese), but I have arthritis in both feet and a knackered shoulder from an accident four years ago.
I'm unable to walk far, and if I ever ran, you'd know it'd be for something serious.
So cycling enables me to go out and about, but also to cover distances as fast or as slow as I want to.

fimm

Veteran
My boyfriend's mother got an electric bike because she has a heart condition. It means she can go places that she'd otherwise take the car to. As a retired nurse, she knows the value of continuing to do the excercise she can do. She's in her late 60s.
Ignore the ignorant child.

Welcome Ged :thumbsup:

I've cycled with asthma all my life. Exercise is the enemy of asthma, and you may find your condition improves as you get fitter.
Those peak flow tests (which I'm convinced are just an excuse to blow through used loo rolls) will likely show a difference.
You'll find your own pace and limits as you tackle different conditions.
Stuff anyone else's opinion. Get out there and enjoy it! :bicycle:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've contemplated one and I haven't got asthma, but sometimes find it very difficult in hard winters - luckily this winter I haven't had as much a problem with iron levels as I would normally. I wouldn't worry about what someone says, at least you are on a bike so getting some exercise and fresh air!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome from powys. Dont take any notice of things that are said to you. Using an electric bike means you are still getting out and about In the fresh air amd exercising as much as you can. Take no notice of ignorant people, and enjoy yourself. If things get difficult for me, I will certainly get one. Any amount of exercise is better than none, and while that child and her mother are sitting on theyre bums doing nothing, you, will be out and about in the fresh air. Enjoy.

Archeress

Veteran
Hi Ged, don't worry about the leccy bike, as long as you're out there on two wheels! I've had my eye on a beautiful electric trike with a huge basket over the rear axle in a local department store (Gardner Haskins). I like to imagine hauling great big loads with it.

Hugs
Archeress x

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hi Ged, don't worry about the leccy bike, as long as you're out there on two wheels! I've had my eye on a beautiful electric trike with a huge basket over the rear axle in a local department store (Gardner Haskins). I like to imagine hauling great big loads with it.

Hugs
Archeress x
I was overtaken going uphill (ok Zetland Road so not huge hill) by a bloke on an electric trike with two kids on the back - I was impressed!

Top Bottom