Hi, Cycling with health issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I own 5 so may be a little bit biased!

I see no problem at all

My late brother suffered renal failure and could not travel far due to oedema and fatigue, my elderly mother and mother in law both in their 80's found shopping by bike difficult

Electric bikes gave them all an extended mobility that made a real difference to their lives and extended their social lives as well

My wife is disabled and runs a Bionx powered recumbent trike, and I have an eletcric powered Christiania that enables me to carry an 80 kg mobility scooter

We can now travel by bike AND also have mobility at the destination

They are unequivoclly a benefit and there is no argument that I can see against them

.. on a positive note

When we bought my MiL her bike it was a beach cruiser from ZZap (ex Demo form Open Road) with the intention of changing the components to a suitable bike for a 68 year old

She would have none of it and loved the style, wide bars and comfy seat.

The thing was with a US bike and a frail OAP it was fast and could easily do 20 mph

She used to love it waiting for a youngster to overtake and then burning him up!

.. and slightly less PC

We were out one day and a group of lads came up behind us..... looked at this cruiser with a female on it wearing leggings and a fleece

"Look at the arse on that!" says young man

OAP looks round, "gurns" and say's "Thank you young man"

Young man nearly falls off bike and spends the next mile having the pi$$ taken by his mates

Hi Ged, don't worry about the leccy bike, as long as you're out there on two wheels! I've had my eye on a beautiful electric trike with a huge basket over the rear axle in a local department store (Gardner Haskins). I like to imagine hauling great big loads with it.

Hugs
Archeress x

Ride before you buy!

Trikes (electric or not) have unique steering characteristics that some people cannot get on with

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Some of the more expensive electric bikes do not even look like electric bikes, everything has been hidden away.
Welcome to CC Ged!
Take no notice of the wee one's comment, did not know any better.
Enjoy the benefits you get from your electric bike.
What others think is of no importance, if it was nobody would wear lycra shorts :laugh:
Saw a couple out cycling, on cool looking bikes fully loaded.
The couple was in their 80's, the bikes were electric, never would have guessed.

Last edited:
Hi & welcome.

another (severe) asthma suffered here - in fact I am typing this whilst using my nebulisers prior to cycling 22 miles to my parents home! I think my asthma endures me rather than the other way around: I'm too pig headed to let it be the anything else (I'm on 4 inhalers, 4 sets of tablets & nebuliser, plus my asthma meds affect my adrenal glands & have left me with secondary Addison's disease now as well).

As others have said, the more you cycle the easier your asthma will become with time and I have found that if I can keep my fitness really high, I have far fewer issues with my asthma when exercising. I just find I take much longer to warm up that others - anywhere between 30-60 mins and that is currently (winter takes longer), I cycle slower and I have to accept that I can't always do what I want, but I still try to get out there 4 times a week at least (spent 3 months off the bike last summer because it was too bad :sad: ). My approach has always been 'stuff what the rest of the world thinks' and just to get on with it: I just have to accept they have no idea of the medical implications or impact it has on our lives and ignore them.

Best wishes.
SNSSO

OP
OP
G

Ged I

Thank you guys' some very posative comments and feedback albeit from cycle fans. Anyone reading this or contemplating getting an electric bike due to whatever the reasons I would deffinately recommend it, as it has already helped me to loose weight and improve on my respiratory issues. I'm also thinking with the price of fuel now'a days and the extrac cost of running a second car anybike can offer great savings and benefits.

As a new member of this forum I'm looking forward to working my way through it..

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Thank you guys' some very posative comments and feedback albeit from cycle fans. Anyone reading this or contemplating getting an electric bike due to whatever the reasons I would deffinately recommend it, as it has already helped me to loose weight and improve on my respiratory issues. I'm also thinking with the price of fuel now'a days and the extrac cost of running a second car anybike can offer great savings and benefits.

As a new member of this forum I'm looking forward to working my way through it..

What bike did you get?

Mark White

When discussing asthma it can be too easy to jump in with an uninformed opinion, especially without knowing the severity of your condition. So, with that acknowledged...

I was a sufferer for 30-odd years, with a few hospital admissions and periods on the nebulisers, but mostly kept controlled with daily Becotide and Ventolin as needed, which was a few times a day. I was certainly not chronic, but it affected my life for a long time.

Then I came across the Buteyko Method. Within 2 days of reading about this and starting to practice it, I put my inhalers away and have not used them since, which is now 11 years. Naturally this has turned me into a huge advocate for the method, but I know it is not a miracle cure for all sufferers and you should not do this sort of thing without support from your GP.

There is loads of free information about this on the internet, and probably lots of paid information too. I didn't need the paid information, and I suspect it adds little to nothing compared to basic, simple, free method. I'm happy to receive private messages about this too as it's somewhat off topic. I urge you to look into this if it's not something you've explored before.

I appreciate this might sound spammy, but I have nothing to gain through this post except...well, after lurking here for a week or two I've initially joined just so I could post this message to you, So maybe now I'll de-lurk and post a proper Hello post and get chatting :-)

All the best,

Mark...

OP
OP
G

Ged I

I done a bit of research and it appears one of the key components and very much undersetimated is the battery pack' and the quality of it. I used a local Company and went with a bike called Smarta Bike, and have to say the bike is awsome, I was well overweight when I started and took this into account when choosing the bike, as I needed to think Tonka Toy approach. The bike has been amazing and helps me do what I do. I'm sure there are other bikes just as good and of course better, but I am really happy with my choice. it has a 9ah battery that is just right for my needs.
by the way I am now 3 stone lighter with the help of combined dieting..

Dark46

Veteran
Hi Ged and welcome to the forum! Hope you have as much fun here as you do on your bike!

I'm totally on your side about an electric bike, due to restrictions in health it's the right way to go .
(It gets my back up when people write jokes about being dyslexic! Unless you have to suffer with it you have no idea how much if a struggle it can be. )

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi Ged and welcome to the forum! Hope you have as much fun here as you do on your bike!

I'm totally on your side about an electric bike, due to restrictions in health it's the right way to go .
(It gets my back up when people write jokes about being dyslexic! Unless you have to suffer with it you have no idea how much if a struggle it can be. )

Do you have an ebike? Which one did you go for if you have?

MattE72

Hi,
Always wanted to cycle more than I could due to health issues, as an Asthma sufferer with traffic fumes, pollen, cold air and a whole load of other stuff that gets in the way. Been cycling about 18 months now when suitable conditions allow. Heres the bit: the bike I now use in an electric bike that takes away alot of the above issues due to not working so hard, hense not breathing so hard but enough to increase the heart rate, get the blood lungs and legs going. May be electric bikes are frowned upon by purists, but in my circumstances they have allowed me to enjoy the cycling experince of a 24 mile round trip commute to work.

When I was in the store choosing my bike (outside actually) a child and mother was walking past, when the child said "look mummy theres bikes for lazy people" I was a little annoyed at the time as they had no idea of my circumstances and I most certainly was not going to enlighten them. It just seems to me people draw their own conclusions before giving any thought as to why..

Any thoughts or comments on the whole electric bike scene? oh and by the way I'm lovin it.
Hi Ged, welcome to the Forum. I too am a fellow asthma sufferer. Didn't go for an electric bike myself (although there are times I wish I had!) I hope you get as much enjoyment out of cycling it as I do.

I've been back riding just over a year now and in my last asthma check up the nurse informed me that my peak flow had increased by 100L which has made it all worth while! Good luck and enjoy!

Top Bottom