hi, does anyone know codes for paint on replica Raleigh Banana

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you have the original paint on the frame, take it to a car sprayers and they will match it up for you.

Don't get too worked up about the paint, just get it as close as you can.

Unless someone is a complete anorak, they will not know if it is the original colour or not.

Steve

OP
OP
thefensman

thefensman

If you have the original paint on the frame, take it to a car sprayers and they will match it up for you.

Don't get too worked up about the paint, just get it as close as you can.

Unless someone is a complete anorak, they will not know if it is the original colour or not.

Steve
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately frame has just come back from blasters so that option is out the window. Originaly was only going to give the bike a good clean and service etc then decided on a completely yellow paint job, but since its come back from being stripped and i can see how clean frame is i.ve decided to go with the original banana theme. Auto refinishers is a good idea though so will be going knocking on doors shortly.

OP
OP
thefensman

thefensman

My first stead was the banana many moons ago
hi icky, never had a drop bar bike when i was younger, my first real "big bike" was a Raleigh New Yorker coloured green,gold and white with 3 speed sturmey archer gears, had it from being around 13 and was still riding it to work when i was about 20.Happy days, wish i still had it now it was a real nice looking bike, amber wall tyres aswell.

OP
OP
thefensman

thefensman

Might be an idea to look on Raleigh web site see if they can help
would certainly be an option,but as i,m not doing a resto in the full sense something damn close would do.The gloss black should be pretty easy to match and as i,ve just been having a peak at some other bananas on internet the yellow looks very much like an old Ford car colour Daytona Yellow.But will do some more homework and see what i find. Cheers

ShipHill

My brother has got a Team Banana Raleigh festering away in his garage. I wish there was some way I could help, but taking photos wouldn't help much I suppose. I'd gladly take a pic though if you like.

OP
OP
thefensman

thefensman

My brother has got a Team Banana Raleigh festering away in his garage. I wish there was some way I could help, but taking photos wouldn't help much I suppose. I'd gladly take a pic though if you like.
Hi there and thanks for taking an interest, i think i,m just gonna go with something pretty close to original cos at the end of the day i,m not building a show bike and its only an 18-23 not a quality Reynolds frame. Its just something i feel i have to do cos sooner or later if we all neglect these poor mans racers they,ll all end up as scrap, so get your brothers "banana" out of the garage and give it some fresh air.By the way its not a Reynolds is it. Ha Ha

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi there and thanks for taking an interest, i think i,m just gonna go with something pretty close to original cos at the end of the day i,m not building a show bike and its only an 18-23 not a quality Reynolds frame. Its just something i feel i have to do cos sooner or later if we all neglect these poor mans racers they,ll all end up as scrap, so get your brothers "banana" out of the garage and give it some fresh air.By the way its not a Reynolds is it. Ha Ha
Did a search earlier & there are similar enquiries going back to 2006. All with no luck with getting the required numbers.

classic33

Leg End Member
Anything like this? If so its likely to be a 531c frame.
front.JPG

screenman

Legendary Member
All you need to do is take one into a bodyshop suppliers and get them to run a spectograph over it, or just match some swatches up. This may not give you perfect but as near as possible.

No use to the OP I know as his has not got any paint left on it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You sound as though you will be happy if you can get it somewhere close to looking like the original which is good because it won't drive you nuts. You would be amazed at how many yellows there are.

I know the position you are in because I have experienced it myself. I restored a 1956 Moto Guzzi motorbike and searched for weeks to get 1956 colour codes. It transpired that back in 1956 Moto Guzzi painted their bikes with whatever colour red that was under the bench, so a 1956 colour code either didn't exist or would not be valid now.

In the end I chose a red that I liked, after all its my bike and I am paying for it. It turned out just like I wanted it to and I only get positive comments about the colour.

279337_l.jpg

As long as you are happy with it, that is all that counts.

Steve

Top Bottom