Hi everyone, newbie here.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twinkletoes

Regular
so I've bought my first bike in 20 years i went with a giant escape 2 i will start commuting to and from work 24 mile round trip. I was just after a bit of advice in regards to what sort of things should i carry for repairs i will be using a back pack rather than panniers for now. and also what extra/type of food do you carry to work sorry for the daft questions.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My toolkit: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/how-and-what-do-you-carry-when-you-go-cycling.262174/

Food: I usually carry a flapjack or two. Often little shop-bought sugary processed ones like Frusli because it seems an OK mix when it's only for miscalculations (the dreaded "bonk" or hunger knock or man with the hammer) and they keep a while. I would probably take a home-made pot of muesli and yoghurt if riding 12 miles in and there was a way to make coffee when I arrived.

I'd really try to find some way to move the luggage onto the bike. Your less sweaty back will thank you.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it's for commuting then I might have a flapjack or fruit.

My commute's a similar 12 mile each-way route, or was until Covid meant I became home-based until September. I do use a backpack rather than panniers but got a proper cycling one; I've a cheap Aldi/Lidl £10 backpack for most things but also have a Deuter Speedlite 15 litre one that I use mostly - it's got padded back sections that let air get in.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
As you're communting you should be able to keep some stuff at work to save you carrying it back & forward. I used to leave my heavy locks at the station (lots of spare bike stands so not being anti-social) and things like waterproofs, spare clothes in the office.

I hate backpacks at anytime so panniers all the way for me.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Welcome Twinkletoes!

I don't think I'd carry food for 12 miles each way, just have your normal meals at your normal times (make sure you have some breakfast before you set off), you'll have enough energy from that.

MJR has provided a good link to a thread where pretty much everyone listed what they carry, I won't labour that as you'll get a feel for what the majority think of as the basics.
I personally wouldn't want a backpack on for more than say, 2 miles, I'd find that sweaty and uncomfortable. On the other hand a rack / pannier or a saddlebag is a bit of an investment so maybe see how you go and from there work out whether it's worth it for you.

Hello & welcome!
No such thing as a daft question!

Commuting is great! ^_^ Winter or summer, it was often the best part of my day!

Your questions have been pretty much covered above. I'd echo (loudly) the suggestion to drop the backpack. I used aldi/lidl panniers (just one).
I'd eat as normal then have a snack when I got to work.

A couple of other things to consider....

A decent lock, especially if work security is lax. No bike, no commute!

Puncture fixing confidence! Murphy's law and all that.

Lights.

Make sure you're comfortable on the bike!

Give yourself lots of time - a relaxed, "smell the roses" ride is more enjoyable than a race - at least to me.

Look for a decent route, even if a little longer. Sometimes, one route will be better than another depending on weather. https://cycle.travel/ is a great route planner for quieter roads.

24 miles every day is not nothing! On a similar length commute I "broke myself in" starting 1 or 2 days and slowly building up.

I used to stop and take photos on my commute. Over a year I had a record of particular places through the season, a nice record to have and a bit inspirational.

When I finally got a gps unit I started recording rides and competing against myself on Strava. It took a few weeks to cop on but I completely lost the enjoyment of my commute. I much preferred the relaxed, look around commute. Turns out I wasn't much slower. (That might just be me!^_^)

On morning commutes I'd vary my departure time depending on weather. Sometimes it was better to get ahead of a downpour and relax in the canteen.

Going from zero to 24 miles per day is a big jump and will have great benefits. It may not be easy though. It's ok to not enjoy it all the time - the good thing is you'll have lots of time to think about how to make it better.

Good luck!

OP
OP
T

twinkletoes

Regular
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions i will certainly look into getting panniers will need to get some lights sorted as its a 6am start so will be setting off in the dark. and also some mud guards also saddlebag for my repair kit i will definitely start riding one day a week then up it to two to start with. should be a lovely ride as decent amount of it is through the country side so I'm looking forward to.

weareHKR

Hello & :welcome:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions i will certainly look into getting panniers will need to get some lights sorted as its a 6am start so will be setting off in the dark. and also some mud guards also saddlebag for my repair kit i will definitely start riding one day a week then up it to two to start with. should be a lovely ride as decent amount of it is through the country side so I'm looking forward to.
Let us know how you get on. You're not going to need those lights for long - it's rapidly getting lighter in the mornings round here.

OP
OP
T

twinkletoes

Regular
just a quick update.. my bike was delivered yesterday so gave it a once over and adjusted where needed. and took the little beauty out for a spin! safe to say I'm loving it. i won't be commuting for a few weeks yet though just need to order some bits to make sure i arrive at work safely.

2x12 miles is a long commute for a newbie.
I suggest that you start with some weekend rides of 5-10 miles then commute every other day until you build up fitness.
Carry enough kit to fix a puncture and adjust saddle and bars. Carry one spare inner tube and patches and leave another inner tube at work.
Practice switching inner tubes before you need to.
Also carry a small flashlight or headlamp in case you have to fix in the dark. A first aid kit inc alcohol wipes, gauze and tape/plasters.

Carry a small water bottle on the bike. You should hydrate an hour before you leave work until you pee clear then no need to drink en route. A big mug of tea should be sufficient.

For that distance I would probably wear padded bike shorts( no underwear), clean every day.
Brigh reflective outer layer( windproof unless it is raining), gloves/mitts and helmet.
A large saddle bag or one pannier is better for your back. If you use a cycling top with rear pockets only carry stuff you are happy to fall on ie nothing hard.

Explore your route for the best way to avoid busy parts and for unofficial short cuts. Often there are ways through car parks etc that people have made.

Top Bottom