Hi-Fi again - connect passive speakers wirelessly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Quick question in case I've missed something.

I have my amp and speakers in the dining room. The amp can run two sets of speakers, and I have a spare set, which I'd like to use in the front room - but I'm not particularly inclined to run the cable to them.

Is there any gadget I've missed that I can use to transmit the sound to the speakers in the front room?

Cheers

simonali

Guru
Even if there was such a device it would need to be connected to a second amplifier or have one built in. I think Sonos used to do a Connect amp, but not sure if they still do. It was over 300 quid, though!

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been looking at bluetooth for this... a sender in the headphone socket on the amp and a bluetooth speaker in the kitchen. I just haven't got round to buying a sender yet.

Regarding your speakers... as Simonali says, you can wirelessly send the audio signal but not the volume.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

MontyVeda

Only used it as a receiver - smart phone from the sofa - but I've no doubt it works equally well as a sender.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2in1-HIF...hash=item2aaf30d728:m:mCZOA-1_lc9KGPqZzJCrsww

Whether it would go to the next room, that's another matter...
Yeah... a lot state a 10m range but from the hi-fi to my kitchen is 10m through a couple of walls so i know they won't cut it. The sender i've been looking at is around £50 and claims to have a 50m range.. hence me not taking the plunge yet

sheddy

Legendary Member
Could I use wireless to provide sound from my TV to my existing amp and speakers or would the delay be too noticeable ?

MontyVeda

Could I use wireless to provide sound from my TV to my existing amp and speakers or would the delay be too noticeable ?
If the Tv has an audio out or headphone then yes. Different bluetooth devices advertise different delay times... check the reviews as I expect they'll be more accurate than manufacturers' claims. The more you pay the better you'll get, i expect.

edit. most bluetooth gizmos both send and receive, so one in the TV and another in the amp.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks all - as I thought it is the amplification that's the issue. I just wasn't sure if I'd thought of every option, and I knew you lot would help :smile:

I hadn't thought about the sync issue either - I can in theory stream the same thing from the same source in both rooms (one via the 'proper' hi fi and the other via the tv to the soundbar, which is perfectly fine for the football commentary I'm trying to listen to at the moment) but in practice the fact that one decodes with more of a lag than the other means it's really annoying.

Wires it is then ...

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I got rid of my wired speakers a while back and now have a Sonos Connect (without Amp) connecting my HiFi to my Sonos wireless network. I have a number of Sonos wireless speakers in various rooms throughout the house including a soundbar, subwoofer and surrounds for the TV in the living room. This gives me the flexibility to configure the speakers in any room for any combination of TV, HiFi or internet streaming and the sound quality is pretty impressive.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got rid of my wired speakers a while back and now have a Sonos Connect (without Amp) connecting my HiFi to my Sonos wireless network. I have a number of Sonos wireless speakers in various rooms throughout the house including a soundbar, subwoofer and surrounds for the TV in the living room. This gives me the flexibility to configure the speakers in any room for any combination of TV, HiFi or internet streaming and the sound quality is pretty impressive.
My mate has a similar setup and was very happy with it. Then an update a month ago seemed to kybosh the whole thing and he can't get it back. Sonos don't let you rollback to a previous stable state, and basically just tried one or two suggestions then shrugged their shoulders and said too bad. He is not a happy bunny.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My mate has a similar setup and was very happy with it. Then an update a month ago seemed to kybosh the whole thing and he can't get it back. Sonos don't let you rollback to a previous stable state, and basically just tried one or two suggestions then shrugged their shoulders and said too bad. He is not a happy bunny.
Funnily enough mine went unstable after a recent update and I tried lots of things to no avail. Then I dug out an old Sonos bridge I had stored away in a drawer and that seems to have resolved my problem. Whatever the update, it seems the Sonos speakers were no longer happy connecting directly to my WiFi network, but they work perfectly on the dedicated wireless network provided by the bridge.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Funnily enough mine went unstable after a recent update and I tried lots of things to no avail. Then I dug out an old Sonos bridge I had stored away in a drawer and that seems to have resolved my problem. Whatever the update, it seems the Sonos speakers were no longer happy connecting directly to my WiFi network, but they work perfectly on the dedicated wireless network provided by the bridge.
Thanks - I'll pass that on.

Reactions: JtB

simonali

Guru
I'm glad I didn't invest too much money into the Sonos ecosystem, as it seems unreliable. I have a Playbar, but never really went any further because I wasn't overly enamoured with the sound of the other speakers. It works fine as a soundbar for the TV, but always falls over when I try and play music on it. I then have to spend an hour farting about doing updates and reconfiguring to get it working again.

Top Bottom