Hi-Fi; powering a passive subwoofer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Hi all,

I'd like some advice please. I have in my garage an old Panasonic stereo amp (with no sub outs) which I'm using to drive my 2 bookshelf speakers and a passive subwoofer. They are all connected with speaker wires and sound ok (Amp to [sub in], [sub out] to speakers). But, I've just found another mini stereo amp, so my question is could I run the mini amp "in line" to my sub to give it some more oomph, or would it just overdrive the bookshelf speakers too? If I can get a slightly punchier sound, I'd rather utilize the mini amp rather than having it sit in the loft!

Thanks,

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
As a matter of interest... I have been thinking about doing the same with an ageing Sugden amp and Kef Coda bookshelf speakers, (adding a subwoofer that is, not a mini amp) are you not using a crossover for the woofer? or is it built in?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
As a matter of interest... I have been thinking about doing the same with an ageing Sugden amp and Kef Coda bookshelf speakers, (adding a subwoofer that is, not a mini amp) are you not using a crossover for the woofer? or is it built in?
I'm not using a crossover, I don't know if the sub has one or not. It works fine, and adds a good deal of Bass but it has no controls on it, so I can't drive the sub harder without also making the bookshelf speakers too loud and distorted

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Use “tape out” on first amp to “aux” in on the second amp and use that to drive the sub. That way you have independent volume control for the speakers and the sub
Thank you, will give it a try but not sure I have any other outputs on the amp apart from 4 speaker posts

Top Bottom