Hi-Fi Upgrade Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've put all my CDs on the PC so don't have a CD player as such. Store them in lossless format rather than mp3 . Reading them in with full error correction and retries means you completly remove the quality of the CD drive aide of things from the equation. I use a Lynx L22 sound card which is the kind of thing you might have in a recording studio hence essentially perfect. Mine was a couple hundred quid 2nd hand, rather than£600 new. To be honest though it's only a bit better than the cheap on board sound, at least for playback - the cheap stuff is pretty impressive. Various high class sound cards / dacs are available and no need to spend a lot. Amp - I have a 30 year old Mission Cirrus 2 - which is pretty good. Cheap enough on fleaby though bought mine new back in the day. You only really need a power amp rather than a pre amp, if only using the PC as source. Speakers - Kef Reference 105/3 is the bargain of ny set up. Really "wow" quality - some saythe best Kef ever made - dunno about that but really really good. Mine were £500 off fleabay rather than the £3k new price . Don't fall for the expensive cable BS or expensive amp BS either. A couple of hundred should get you a great amp new or 2nd hand. If a fraction of the claims of hi-fi marketters were true, the engineers would dominate the Noble prizes for physics every year.

Basically any half decent amp is going to be fine. good DACs are cheap, and even originally very high end speakers are affordaable 2nd hand if you buys wisely. The kefs are huge though, so may not necessarily get past the site manager in every domestic arrangment.

Do the research then get a demo. Somewhere like Sevenoaks is only too happy to set a room up.

Another B&W 602s3 fan here. Denon amp, Rotel RCD1072 CD, Ecosse Reference cable, Atacama stands.
Although gotta say developing tinnitus screws all that up a bit!

Top Bottom