Hi from a (homesick) Brit Woman in the US!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Greetings from America’s east coast! I found the forum whilst looking for a guided cycling holiday back home (I call West Sussex home still); and come back every year to visit friends & fam in Oxford and Cambridge too.

I’d love to find some people to ride with when I visit, and hope to move home in the next year or so. I know... many of you will wonder why - but home is home! My ideal ride would be around the South Downs, stopping at a pub or three (see- still British ; )

I ride a Trek hybrid as often as possible (but really want a Colnago...) for as far as possible. A quick 10 mile ride before work is a warm up, then weekends I love to set off early and do 30-40 miles. I do organized rides for charity and my longest last year was 56 miles from Connecticut to Massachusetts. Mostly for the love of riding, but also to stay fit and healthy.

If anyone has ideas about good cycling holidays in England, or great organized rides /groups I could join, please give me a shout - and happy riding - I’m so jealous of you with spring right around the corner for some beautiful riding : )

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Hi and welcome! I spend a lot of time in the US too, but Georgia where the heat and humidity are less conducive to riding.

On how you'd go about finding organised rides in a particular area... I do cycle with a group but it wasn't organised, it happened fairly organically. I was out solo on a nice day when I stopped at a country pub, there they were and they asked me where I was off to, and we ended up heading the same way. But I gather that's how many people end up in little social groups, you just bump into people at pubs and cafes. And cyclists can be a chatty lot so they aren't shy of saying hello and asking where you're off to.

Plenty of help here, enjoy!

OP
OP
BritAbroadUSA1

BritAbroadUSA1

Regular
Hi and welcome! I spend a lot of time in the US too, but Georgia where the heat and humidity are less conducive to riding.

On how you'd go about finding organised rides in a particular area... I do cycle with a group but it wasn't organised, it happened fairly organically. I was out solo on a nice day when I stopped at a country pub, there they were and they asked me where I was off to, and we ended up heading the same way. But I gather that's how many people end up in little social groups, you just bump into people at pubs and cafes. And cyclists can be a chatty lot so they aren't shy of saying hello and asking where you're off to.

Plenty of help here, enjoy!
Thank you for the welcome! Urgh, rather you than me on the heat and humidity. I make myself ride in it, and start no later than 5 a.m. before the brutality hits. We have an amazing trail (former canal) that is mostly shaded for approx 18 miles, and that helps a lot. BUT- as you will know- BUGS.

Great idea about just showing up and finding the chatty Brits, that's actually a lot of why I miss home :smile:

OP
OP
BritAbroadUSA1

BritAbroadUSA1

Regular
Welcome.
Bring some sunshine back with you next time you visit Sussex and send some over to Kent.
Thank you for the welcome! It's a deal. I'll ride and bring it over personally : )

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Connecticut to Massachusetts is a good clue I'd suggest, and probably all we need to know.

If anyone wants to stalk me on the other hand, I can usually be found most Thursday evenings at 1156 Euclid Ave NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30307. ^_^

Top Bottom