Hi from a (homesick) Brit Woman in the US!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Thank you for the welcome! I'm in CT. Lucky to have a heavily wooded and very green state with a lot of trails and good riding - except that little issue of forever being on the wrong side of the road ... : )
:smile: just curious as I worked for a while in North Carolina plus always fancied retiring to the outer banks :smile:

Welcome to CC.
Many moons ago I used to live a few hundred km NW of you. Nice part of the east US is CT.
Now residing in west sussex. So, when you visit here, let us know and we can organise a ride along green and pleasant lanes and potential pub visits.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Welcome to the board. Been in the States for over 30 years now... just up in Massachusetts outside Boston. I think there are a few of us on this board. i like to frequent this board as I still miss more the English sense of humour (humour with 2 "u"s by the way) and general cultural approach.

Alas, that means I can't help you with rides in the Oxford and Cambridge area :smile: Anyway I'll be visiting Wesleyan, Middletown in good old Connecticut soon in the hope that my son likes the University and can get accepted. I may be adding on a trip to Trinity too (Hartford, the insurance capitol of the world!), but we'll see.

Greetings from America’s east coast! I found the forum whilst looking for a guided cycling holiday back home (I call West Sussex home still); and come back every year to visit friends & fam in Oxford and Cambridge too.

I’d love to find some people to ride with when I visit, and hope to move home in the next year or so. I know... many of you will wonder why - but home is home! My ideal ride would be around the South Downs, stopping at a pub or three (see- still British ; )

I ride a Trek hybrid as often as possible (but really want a Colnago...) for as far as possible. A quick 10 mile ride before work is a warm up, then weekends I love to set off early and do 30-40 miles. I do organized rides for charity and my longest last year was 56 miles from Connecticut to Massachusetts. Mostly for the love of riding, but also to stay fit and healthy.

If anyone has ideas about good cycling holidays in England, or great organized rides /groups I could join, please give me a shout - and happy riding - I’m so jealous of you with spring right around the corner for some beautiful riding : )

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
Hello and welcome from an American originall from Central MA and now calls Bristol home. I spent a lot of time in CT when I was a kid/teen as we went camping there.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If anyone has ideas about good cycling holidays in England, or great organized rides /groups I could join, please give me a shout - and happy riding - I’m so jealous of you with spring right around the corner for some beautiful riding : )
If you're over and fancy making your jet lag worse (or better, or just different) have a look at The Fridays
https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hello and welcome. If you were here now you wouldn't be jealous. It hasn't stopped raining since November. :laugh: :welcome:.
Not far off here, my riding has been curtailed for the last month by universally pants weather i havent rode the bike to work all week as the floods have closed my commute route and the option has been a 70 mph dual carriageway

OP
OP
BritAbroadUSA1

BritAbroadUSA1

Regular
Welcome to the board. Been in the States for over 30 years now... just up in Massachusetts outside Boston. I think there are a few of us on this board. i like to frequent this board as I still miss more the English sense of humour (humour with 2 "u"s by the way) and general cultural approach.

Alas, that means I can't help you with rides in the Oxford and Cambridge area :smile: Anyway I'll be visiting Wesleyan, Middletown in good old Connecticut soon in the hope that my son likes the University and can get accepted. I may be adding on a trip to Trinity too (Hartford, the insurance capitol of the world!), but we'll see.
Thank you! Really nice to find some more Brits here. Wesleyan is a good school (so is Quinniapiac in Hamden.) Their York Hill campus used to be one of my "nemesis" hills to ride. Almost perpendicular, very challenging, but feels amazing when you get your bike up it. West Hartford is nice for places to eat and more boutiquey stuff but otherwise nothing but the insurance companies. I used to look for the "high street" in these places and wondered why they didn't have them : /

OP
OP
BritAbroadUSA1

BritAbroadUSA1

Regular
Hello and welcome from an American originall from Central MA and now calls Bristol home. I spent a lot of time in CT when I was a kid/teen as we went camping there.
Thank you for the welcome! Bristol CT is really pretty countryside. I used to live near Bristol UK once, it's a great town - guilty of many fun times at the Bristol Bierkeller. I imagine the cycling around the surrounding areas is pretty nice too. How long have you been there and do you miss home??

OP
OP
BritAbroadUSA1

BritAbroadUSA1

Regular
Welcome to CC.
Many moons ago I used to live a few hundred km NW of you. Nice part of the east US is CT.
Now residing in west sussex. So, when you visit here, let us know and we can organise a ride along green and pleasant lanes and potential pub visits.
Thank you, this is a great welcome, and I might just have to take you up on it! It really does have some nice parts on this stretch of the US, and I am pretty fortunate, but that pull.. the downs, just home. I just got back from spending Christmas over there, and I am ready to come right back!

rivers

How far can I go?
Thank you for the welcome! Bristol CT is really pretty countryside. I used to live near Bristol UK once, it's a great town - guilty of many fun times at the Bristol Bierkeller. I imagine the cycling around the surrounding areas is pretty nice too. How long have you been there and do you miss home??
I've been in the UK since 2011, and Bristol since 2014. The cycling around here is lovely, with Cheddar and Burrington being my favourite loop, followed closely by heading over the bridge into Wales. I love living in the city, but within about 15 minutes on the bike, I'm in the countryside. I don't really miss home too much, as I've always been one to travel about. You?

Top Bottom