Hi, from an old guy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Hello all,
Well at 72 I probably should be comfortably seated on my commode devouring my toastie soldiers and my soft boiled egg, however here I am joining a cycling forum. Memo to self: maybe I would be better off joining a dominoes forum ? Hmm ! Ok, a minor abberation, now lets concentrate.

I live in beautiful North Yorkshire (near Richmond) been here 8 years now (moved from Leicestershire) only about another 20 years and the ‘good old’ Yorkshire folk will stop referring to me as a ‘southener’

I still love my cycling, I currently have two road bikes, a carbon Felt and a lovely Boardman Adventure 8.9. I cycled 5,300 miles in 2017 but plummeted to only 4,100 in 2018. This mileage is shared between fresh air cycling and a Tacx Neo smart trainer using Zwift ( weather dependant).
I have achieved a certain notoriety on Zwift which resulted in a complementary online article on the Zwift community and resulting from this I was interviewed by regional ITV news last year which appeared on the evening news. I watched from behind the settee, modesty prevents me sharing links here but if you are sad enough to be interested get in touch.

I am a big believer in ‘use it or lose it’ and refuse to believe we have to accept a sedentary lifestyle just because we are ‘a certain age’

Ok, I may have lost most of you after the 1st paragraph so I will desist now. Give me a wave when you fly past me on the backroads of Richmondshire

Ride On, as they say on Zwift.

Roy

tom73

Guru
:welcome: Great part of the world too. 20 years think your being hopeful :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hello. Just one year younger than you, I was 'using it' too, until recently my legs decided to 'lose it' - so now one of those Orbea Gain users. Welcome!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Collected mine July last year. It is the 2018 D30 alloy Tiagra version - oddly there was no 105 option last year. I've changed tyres to GP4000s fitted SKS guards for the winter, changed the saddle etc. It has made it possible for me to ride with the club again - up to 40 miles or so anyway. I haven't risked pushing the range much beyond that as yet, though I think 50 - 60 is possible. Best take a look at my posts in the ebike forum https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/orbea-gain.229793/page-4
No problems with the bike, but issues with the app which seem to have been resolved by recent updates.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Collected mine July last year. It is the 2018 D30 alloy Tiagra version - oddly there was no 105 option last year. I've changed tyres to GP4000s fitted SKS guards for the winter, changed the saddle etc. It has made it possible for me to ride with the club again - up to 40 miles or so anyway. I haven't risked pushing the range much beyond that as yet, though I think 50 - 60 is possible. Best take a look at my posts in the ebike forum https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/orbea-gain.229793/page-4
No problems with the bike, but issues with the app which seem to have been resolved by recent updates.

" No problems with the bike " That's good to hear youngoldbloke. Yes, I think i have read all your Orbea related posts. I am getting the 2019 D30 alloy (105) complete with fitted SKS mudguards and they agreed to fit Schwalbe G-One 40-622 tyres for me (they are actually 38c) I am a big fan of bigger tyres, very comfortable and I think safer on our broken/potholed roads.
However I had a call from the shop this morning apparently 38c tyres will not fit the Orbea with guards. ' Bloody Nora ' ! they advertise the bike as mudguard compatible and " will accept up to 40c tyres " but Whoa ! nowhere does it mention you cannot put the two together. It is disingenuous, marketing bulls**t and very annoying. The shop are going to fit the mudguards and test which are the largest tyre size that can fit. I ordered the bike under the impression not denied by the shop that I could have guards and my tyres of choice. Watch this space.
I am a pretty strong rider, until recently sold I used to 'propel' a 23 kg e-mtb around for much of the time (on the roads) over the 15.5mph motor cut-out and even on hills my stupid pride ensured I tackled many of them in eco mode so I don't forsee a problem with the battery range.
Cheers.

Welcome aboard.

Great attitude. Age is no barrier to anything you want to do.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As Dylan Thomas wrote.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Top Bottom