Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just been informed the mid June delivery is delayed to mid July ..............
Still waiting .......... meanwhile stocked up on 28mm GP4000Sii's, Boardman Pro SPD's, and from China, stem mounted phone holder, the bar ends I prefer, and carbon bottle side cages - half the fun of a new bike is customising it.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

It's here:wahhey:- at last! Orbea D30 (the Tiagra one). Picked it up yesterday. Pics show it as fresh from the shop, SPDs and bottle cages to be added and one or two other little changes to be made -tyres to GP4000Sii (just what are Kenda Krankfish, other than very heavy?) 14.3kg as shown.

P1020231.JPG P1020232.JPG P1020233.JPG P1020234.JPG

NickWi

Guru
Nice One and :welcome: to the club. :bicycle:

Now, one word of warning, get ready for the questions. They start by just looking, wondering, it is, really, it doesn't look like an e-bike does it you can hear them thinking. They then ask where's the battery, what's that button for, is that the motor, how heavy is it, what's the range and many many more. They do attract the attention.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Still waiting .......... meanwhile stocked up on 28mm GP4000Sii's, Boardman Pro SPD's, and from China, stem mounted phone holder, the bar ends I prefer, and carbon bottle side cages - half the fun of a new bike is customising it.

What a lovely looking bike. I hope you have many years or enjoyment from it.

robgul

Legendary Member
Nice One and :welcome: to the club. :bicycle:

Now, one word of warning, get ready for the questions. They start by just looking, wondering, it is, really, it doesn't look like an e-bike does it you can hear them thinking. They then ask where's the battery, what's that button for, is that the motor, how heavy is it, what's the range and many many more. They do attract the attention.

The best comment I had with my Gain road-bike was : "I've never seen a bike with a Rohloff hub gear AND a derailleur" - obviously confused by the rear wheel motor!

Rob

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

First short try out ride today. Wow! Better than I remember from my test ride. Local hill I struggled to climb painfully in the past at 7-8 mph, climbed at 13mph, with minimal effort! As I'm a relatively old person I had a bit of stress trying to pair the Iwoc with my phone, but it linked up without my help eventually :huh:. Looking forward to tomorrows adventure .....

stevef069

I'm a US cyclist with the Gain M20i Limited on pre-order since early August. I received a call from the local shop yesterday and was informed Orbea has pushed back delivery to North America until mid January of 2019. Third such notice since I paid in full for the bike and getting concerned that at this rate the next generation of ebikes will hit the show rooms and I'll be stuck with older technology. I ask but nobody, including people in the Orbea USA, seem willing to answer my questions as to WHY. What's going on?

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I can't help with why the delay - demand maybe? But isn't the Gain M20i Limited one of the 2019 models anyway? - they are the next generation ebikes. Great looking bike BTW, and I note it is set up to assist up to 20mph - a more sensible speed than the 15.5 mph in the UK, where I find that it is sometimes difficult to stay with a group that is riding at 16 - 18 mph, though my alloy Gain is heavier than the M20i of course.
Be interesting to see the development of this genre of ebike over the next few years - eg Ribble's new ebike range. (edited for clarity)

Last edited:

robgul

Legendary Member
The delay, allegedly according to my Orbea dealer pal, is the supply of motors from the Far East to Orbea's factory in Spain. Not sure where you got the 20mph for the Ribble, the UK legal limit is 25 km/h which is 15.8 (Ribble's specs say 26km/h)

Rob

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Sorry for the confusion - 'Great looking bike BTW, and I note it is set up to assist up to 20mph' meant to refer to the Gain M20i that stevef069 has on order in the USA - see information at https://contenderbicycles.com/product/2019-orbea-gain-m20i-ltd/ 'This uses a hub-based motor that offers 40 Nm torque and 250 W power, and offers drag-free operation above the 20 mph assist limit'.- they still quote the same sort of range though.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It's here:wahhey:- at last! Orbea D30 (the Tiagra one). Picked it up yesterday. Pics show it as fresh from the shop, SPDs and bottle cages to be added and one or two other little changes to be made -tyres to GP4000Sii (just what are Kenda Krankfish, other than very heavy?) 14.3kg as shown.

View attachment 424583 View attachment 424584 View attachment 424585 View attachment 424586
How are you doing with this bike? Im thinking of getting the flat bar version to compliment my cube acid ebike

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Loving it - It suits me fine - reckon a range of getting on for 50 - 60 miles for me, generally fairly flat rides with the occasional incline. I can now ride with my club's leisure rides again, but when the speed rises over 15.5 mph I find I'm working hard to keep up, but then on the hills it's a hoot! I can now get up slopes that my knackered legs were totally unable to cope with. Most of the time I'm using the lowest level of assistance, as I don't want it too easy - can still make it hurt if I want to. However I've had problems connecting with the app - probably more to do with my phone. When it works it's very useful, giving comprehensive details re the electronics and range, ride etc.
I've changed the tyres to GP4000Sii, and the difference is very noticeable (although having just fixed a thorn related puncture in the rear after very few miles I think GP 4 seasons would be a better choice at this time of year - I might put one on just the rear). I've swapped the saddle to one I prefer along with a light Ritchey seatpost (only because I had it - the Orbea carbon SP is fine, if a little overlong for my setup) Roughly a Kilo weight saved, soon to be part replaced when I fit mudguards! So pretty satisfied - it's doing what I wanted. I think you need to try one - you might find it underpowered compared to your Cube - although much lighter? - but then I don't have much experience of E mountain bikes - the only one I've ridden was a friends top of the range KTM and that was very different - quite a beast. If I were buying again I'd be looking at the new Ribbles as well, and the 2019 Carbon Orbeas - roughly £1K more of course! BTW I find the 2018 Tiagra just as good as the 2014 Ultegra on my Rose - can't fault it. Hope this helps …….

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Loving it - It suits me fine - reckon a range of getting on for 50 - 60 miles for me, generally fairly flat rides with the occasional incline. I can now ride with my club's leisure rides again, but when the speed rises over 15.5 mph I find I'm working hard to keep up, but then on the hills it's a hoot! I can now get up slopes that my knackered legs were totally unable to cope with. Most of the time I'm using the lowest level of assistance, as I don't want it too easy - can still make it hurt if I want to. However I've had problems connecting with the app - probably more to do with my phone. When it works it's very useful, giving comprehensive details re the electronics and range, ride etc.
I've changed the tyres to GP4000Sii, and the difference is very noticeable (although having just fixed a thorn related puncture in the rear after very few miles I think GP 4 seasons would be a better choice at this time of year - I might put one on just the rear). I've swapped the saddle to one I prefer along with a light Ritchey seatpost (only because I had it - the Orbea carbon SP is fine, if a little overlong for my setup) Roughly a Kilo weight saved, soon to be part replaced when I fit mudguards! So pretty satisfied - it's doing what I wanted. I think you need to try one - you might find it underpowered compared to your Cube - although much lighter? - but then I don't have much experience of E mountain bikes - the only one I've ridden was a friends top of the range KTM and that was very different - quite a beast. If I were buying again I'd be looking at the new Ribbles as well, and the 2019 Carbon Orbeas - roughly £1K more of course! BTW I find the 2018 Tiagra just as good as the 2014 Ultegra on my Rose - can't fault it. Hope this helps …….
My budget will only be around 2k.......Rutland got some pretty good sales on right now, so I may head in their direction for a giant or another cube and roadify one of those instead like I have with the cube

IMG_0024.JPG

Mcar33

I'm a US cyclist with the Gain M20i Limited on pre-order since early August. I received a call from the local shop yesterday and was informed Orbea has pushed back delivery to North America until mid January of 2019. Third such notice since I paid in full for the bike and getting concerned that at this rate the next generation of ebikes will hit the show rooms and I'll be stuck with older technology. I ask but nobody, including people in the Orbea USA, seem willing to answer my questions as to WHY. What's going on?

Hi Steve, I'm in CA, I've had first a D20 on order since June, then changed my order to an M30. My shop has contacted me letting me know Orbea is shipping D20s (and probably other D-series bikes) from their distribution in Little Rock mid November (so should be now) to dealers, and the M30 (and probably other carbons like yours) shipping out mid January as you've found out. So I'm expecting to finally have my bike under me hopefully 3rd week in January, over half a year later.

I think Pinarello's Dyodo and Bianchi's Aria just became available in the US and they both use the same Ebikemotion and IWOC system as the Gain. So hopefully this technology will slowly mature over the next couple years and we won't be left behind too early.

Top Bottom