Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Mine is (Tiagra) expected mid June, and I haven't heard anything to the contrary as yet. Also, was in an Orbea dealer earlier today (not the one mine's coming from) and he said has one on order for a customer, again mid June delivery, he believed.

davids023

I got the D30 as well (Tiagra), I bought it from a store in Germany, I am based in Australia.
Hopefully you get yours mid june and it doesnt get delayed.
I heard 2019 models will be out end of June. Apparently D30 will come with 105 instead of tiagra, D20 (ultegra) M30 will be carbon model..

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
....... I heard 2019 models will be out end of June. Apparently D30 will come with 105 instead of tiagra, D20 (ultegra) M30 will be carbon model..
Hi - hope you are enjoying your D30. I half expected that Orbea would do this, though I suppose we would have to wait until this time next year to actually get the new 105 version. Be interesting to see what the pricing is like. In the UK the current D30 is £500 more than the D40 Claris - better brakes and one or two other upgrades but the difference seems rather excessive, and the D10 Ultegra another £700 more. Be interesting to see how heavy the carbon one is.

Craigandrew

Obea have plenty of bikes. It's the motor they're having trouble with the supplier
(Ebikemotion ) not being able to keep up with demand.
Just got mine 8 June 2018 after ordering it in January 2018,

davids023

Hi - hope you are enjoying your D30. I half expected that Orbea would do this, though I suppose we would have to wait until this time next year to actually get the new 105 version. Be interesting to see what the pricing is like. In the UK the current D30 is £500 more than the D40 Claris - better brakes and one or two other upgrades but the difference seems rather excessive, and the D10 Ultegra another £700 more. Be interesting to see how heavy the carbon one is.

i have spoken to the bike shop. Carbon 105 will be 3800Euro, DuraAce is 7500Euro. Weight of bike is 11.2Kgs..
He is taking orders now, but delivery wont be until Jan - April 2019.

Craigandrew

Any body been out riding on there obea gain in wet weather conditions ,
I was wondering about water ingress ware the charging point is.

gelfy666

Über Member
Anyone had a ride on one of these yet? I'm seriously considering an ebike due to medical issues and the possibilty of major surgery. Coming from a club riding, road cycling, road bike background I find most ebikes hideous looking and horrendously heavy. The Gain appears to be relatively light and good looking - and starting at around £1800, good priced too. (I find the Giant and Raleigh road ebikes ugly BTW). No one appears to have them in stock though. I'm prepared to travel to see and test ride one but meanwhile has anyone any experience of them?
They have a demo in Telford on Sunday.

Mcar33

Changing the subject, did you know the Gain is Bluetooth enabled!

There is an app available that connects your phone to your bike. On the surface it's your atypical bike computer app that give you the usual info, plus you can upload to Strava and use it as a sat nav, but a bit extra info about how much batter power is being used, is left, range etc. Digging deeper you can change the power settings, add a heart rate monitor, set alerts etc, and potentially very interesting, it can use your heart rate to automatically vary the assistance power level to help you keep in your desired exercise zone. Just who's in charge here!

NickWi, thanks for sharing the information. I have an M30 on order here in the US and getting your feedback has been helpful given there's no way to test ride these bikes. They are telling me delivery will be late August/early September, but I wouldn't be surprised if even that gets pushed back. I'm first in line at my dealer, so praying something happens soon. Also I understand the US experience will be different given the higher max assisted speed here (20 mph), but your impressions are still very helpful!

My question for you is do you also have a bike computer installed (Garmin, Lezyne, ?) that you use in lieu of the built in bluetooth and app on phone. If so, any issues to doing that given the multiple bluetooth signals that would be occurring from the bike and any sensors used for the computer? Thanks in advance!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
NickWi, thanks for sharing the information. I have an M30 on order here in the US and getting your feedback has been helpful given there's no way to test ride these bikes. They are telling me delivery will be late August/early September, but I wouldn't be surprised if even that gets pushed back. I'm first in line at my dealer, so praying something happens soon. Also I understand the US experience will be different given the higher max assisted speed here (20 mph), but your impressions are still very helpful!

My question for you is do you also have a bike computer installed (Garmin, Lezyne, ?) that you use in lieu of the built in bluetooth and app on phone. If so, any issues to doing that given the multiple bluetooth signals that would be occurring from the bike and any sensors used for the computer? Thanks in advance!

Wireless bike computers often do not work with ebikes, although some do.

A wired computer will work normally.

By computer, I mean a device with a speed sensor magnet.

What we in the UK call a Garmin - a stand alone GPX device - works on an ebike.

NickWi

Guru
Hi Mcar33,

I ride with a Mio Cyclo 505 GPS unit not a Garmin so I can’t comment on compatibility etc, however the Cyclo is Bluetooth enabled but I’ve never tried to pair it with the bike. I’ll give it a go and see what happens. I have also used the Emotion app as a bike computer and it's okay and does provide some useful post ride information, but I both prefer the Cylco and like to keep my phone safe in my rack pack rather than exposed on the bars. In terms of connecting other ‘tech’ I’ve got a real mix ‘n’ match, but none of it interferes with anything else or the bike/phone connectivity.

My phone, (a Galaxy S5) is connected to the bike via the Emoition app, my Fitbit, the Cyclo and a Tickr Heart Rate Monitor. Oh, and if I can be bothered, a Fly6 CE back light/camera and a Tomtom Bandit. In turn the Cylo is connected to the same heart rate monitor, a wireless but magnetically triggered Mio Magnetic Cadence & Speed Sensor, and of course back to the phone. Some are connected Ant+, some are Bluetooth and the Bandit is local Wifi if I can ever get it to connect. Not unsurprisingly when the phone is connected to most/all the phone battery drains faster than sieve with extra-large holes!

I have also used Emotion app in ‘Auto’ mode that varies the power assistance level depending on your heart rate. I tried it a couple of times but I didn’t like it. Where I live doesn’t have many long climbs, but plenty of short sharp ones and the app being reactive waits until you’re heart rate goes up and your huffing & puffing half way up the hill before the assistance kicks in; it then continues to give you maximum assistance after you’ve gone over the top. It also seemed to use the higher power setting more often than I do, thus giving less range. In practice I prefer the manual, simple and pre-emptive pressing of the power button.

As a matter of interest, what capacity battery are Orbea specifying for the US model? If they are just reprogramming the controller to give you up to 20mph of assistance but still using the same 36V/6.9A battery then surely this will draw more power from the battery and hence reduce the range. Just curious.

Mcar33

Thanks NickWi, amazing all the tech we can add on these days, am considering Garmin with their Varia rear radar. A lot of the electric and hybrid cars on the road spook me from behind because they're so quiet, rear radar will at least let me know something is coming up behind me.

I believe the US models still have the same battery, that is the spec given on the US website. My dealer said the bike would be Class 1, which here is pedal assistance to 20 mph. I don't know anyone yet that has a US model, so I can't say for sure that the battery is the same, but I'm not sure how they can fit a higher capacity one in the same frame, so range will end up being less like you say.

NickWi

Guru
............. A lot of the electric and hybrid cars on the road spook me from behind because they're so quiet, rear radar will at least let me know something is coming up behind me.

Tell me about it, but from the other side! My better half got a Toyota Prius later last year and it's quite an eye opener the first time you drive it in a supermarket carpark or down a busy town High Street. My car is a modern, but still noisy diesel and nobody fails to notice that behind them. But in hers, in the Prius, no, nope, people just haven't got a clue you're behind them, then they suddenly jump and try to rush out of the way when they realise you're behind them, (a bit like pinging a bicycle bell). There isn't even a way of forcing the ending to run and even if it did you should see the amount of sound proofing under the bonnet. So, apologies on behalf of all electric and hybrid drivers.

Top Bottom