Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ebikefan

I've never ridden a mid engine jobby so I can't offer a compare them, but having done over a hundred miles on the Gain in the last week or so all I can offer you is my experience of that.

Firstly, what Orbea say about enough, but only enough is true. The power from the motor and the size of the battery are designed to assist rather than power you along. Both the power rating of the motor and capacity of the battery are a lot less than the mid engine bikes. You still need the gears for the hills and you (well I do) still huff & puff up the hills. I can't deny putting into full power makes it easier and I rode up one of Shropshires short but steep buggers the other day with ease, but the motor won't do it all for you. On the flat is different. You can set the power to high, just turn the pedals lightly and the motor will do it for you, but don't expect any great range from the battery if you do that, it's not what it's designed for. In practice what I've been doing is riding with the motor on its minimal setting for the flats (or even switching it off) and only using the assist for the hills, and only full power assist on the steepest hills. Eco power and the gears are more than enough for gentle hills provided you're not trying to KOM points.

One other comment I think I ought to make, brakes. Because of the extra weight of E-Bikes and the fact that race styled e-bikes like the Gain have a different set of design parameters to urban bikes, they drop like a stone going downhill. The first long downhill I went down really surprised me with how much speed I picked up. Add in the rotational mass of the rear hub motor (and in my case too much extra padding) and you've got a fair bit of mass to stop. The Sram hydraulic brakes on my D20 are excellent, but whichever model you chose, don't skimp on the brakes.

If you've got any specific question I'll be glad to answer as best I can.
I am very interested in buying orbea gain but i don't know if this bike will manage hard high speed gravel rides. How is the build quality? Battery or motor do not rattle on rough road? And what about swapping wheels for 650b with 47c tire? Do you think that this frame could accomodate that? And finally how would you rate the extra power in the strongest mode when going uphill? It is two Times easier or less?

Thanks!

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I am very interested in buying orbea gain but i don't know if this bike will manage hard high speed gravel rides. How is the build quality? Battery or motor do not rattle on rough road? And what about swapping wheels for 650b with 47c tire? Do you think that this frame could accomodate that? And finally how would you rate the extra power in the strongest mode when going uphill? It is two Times easier or less?

Thanks!
NickWi is obviously the one to answer regarding power etc, but as for 'high speed gravel' - the Gain cuts out at 15.5mph/25 kmph, then it becomes just a relatively heavy bike, and it's up to you and your leg muscles. I wouldn't think the battery or motor would rattle as the battery is bolted inside the down tube, and the motor is the rear wheel hub. As to swapping to 650B wheels - as the motor is in the rear hub you would have to rebuild it into a new wheel. So not that simple. Fitting 47c tyres might be pushing it too. (edited for clarity)

Last edited:

Ebikefan

NickWi is obviously the one to answer regarding power etc, but as for 'high speed gravel' - the Gain cuts out at 15.5mph/25 kmph, then it becomes just a relatively heavy bike, and it's up to you and your leg muscles. I wouldn't think the battery or motor would rattle as the battery is bolted inside the down tube, and the motor is the rear wheel hub. As to swapping to 650B wheels - as the motor is in the rear hub you would have to rebuild it into a new wheel. So not that simple. Fitting 47c tyres might be pushing it too.
You have mentioned a serious issue with this bike. Motor beyond 25 kmph is holding you back working as a brake of some sort so you have to work harder to maintain those kind of speeds. So for sure i would like to use some kind of dongle or try other ways of removing speed limit. Otherwise it makes little sens for my kind of riding. The question is if this is possible? Is someone already tried this with success?
In terms of wheel swap I know that this would requaire moving the motor but this is doable. The question is about frame clerance for 650b wider tire. Other option is to use lauf grit fork but this is more expensive solution and applicable only for front wheel.

NickWi

Guru
Thanks!

As far as I'm concerned the build quality is good. The welding is smooth and eveything seems to be bolted & screwed together well. The paintwork is also good but I'm still at the mollycoddling stange and being careful with how I treat it. As for rattling etc, no none, in fact how quiet it is one of the first comments I made to Mrs W after my first ride. This might be because my bike has a Sram 1x11 groupset so it doesn't have the extra chain slack a double chainring give, but as I said everything seems well screwed together.

Clearance for 47 tyres, probably. The inside of the fork measure about 55mm across at the tyre point, but I'm no expert on tyre shapes or profiles. Lasty riding uphill and being high speed garvel bike. That's got to be a subjective topic and depends on so many personal factors, so all I'll say it that, yes it makes it easier, but remember what Orbea's design brief is; Enough, but only Enough. It up to you to provide the majority of the imput and as youngoldbloke rightly said, the assistance comes to a holt at 15.5mph, (which is hardly what I'd call high speed).

Ebikefan

As far as I'm concerned the build quality is good. The welding is smooth and eveything seems to be bolted & screwed together well. The paintwork is also good but I'm still at the mollycoddling stange and being careful with how I treat it. As for rattling etc, no none, in fact how quiet it is one of the first comments I made to Mrs W after my first ride. This might be because my bike has a Sram 1x11 groupset so it doesn't have the extra chain slack a double chainring give, but as I said everything seems well screwed together.

Clearance for 47 tyres, probably. The inside of the fork measure about 55mm across at the tyre point, but I'm no expert on tyre shapes or profiles. Lasty riding uphill and being high speed garvel bike. That's got to be a subjective topic and depends on so many personal factors, so all I'll say it that, yes it makes it easier, but remember what Orbea's design brief is; Enough, but only Enough. It up to you to provide the majority of the imput and as youngoldbloke rightly said, the assistance comes to a holt at 15.5mph, (which is hardly what I'd call high speed).
Thank you. Now I know that orbea gain is probably not for me. It is a bike with too many compromises. First you get only mild support below 25 kmph and above you get a motor that just slows you down due to the drag. Then you have a weight penalty which slows you even further and a hub motor in the rear which affect the handling on fast descends which i like very much. So i look forward to more bikes like cube agree hybrid c 62 with mid motor but with more tire clerance than just 35c (hopefully compatible with 650b wheel). Maybe something like this will be introduced this year...

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Thank you. Now I know that orbea gain is probably not for me. It is a bike with too many compromises. First you get only mild support below 25 kmph and above you get a motor that just slows you down due to the drag. Then you have a weight penalty which slows you even further and a hub motor in the rear which affect the handling on fast descends which i like very much. So i look forward to more bikes like cube agree hybrid c 62 with mid motor but with more tire clerance than just 35c (hopefully compatible with 650b wheel). Maybe something like this will be introduced this year...
I think you're right - not for you. BTW are you in the US? - I'm curious - why do you want an ebike? All the 'legal' road ebikes in the UK (excluding N. Ireland, where they have to be licensed, insured etc etc) are restricted to 25 kmph. Orbea advertise the Gain as 'just enough', it's not intended to be a high speed, high power ride.

Ebikefan

I think you're right - not for you. BTW are you in the US? - I'm curious - why do you want an ebike? All the 'legal' road ebikes in the UK (excluding N. Ireland, where they have to be licensed, insured etc etc) are restricted to 25 kmph. Orbea advertise the Gain as 'just enough', it's not intended to be a high speed, high power ride.
I am from Poland but i intent to remove speed limit from any ebike that i will buy because i look for constant support in any situation. Problem with orbea gain is that its motor is probably too weak to work above 25kmph without problems like overheating.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

............ If you've got any specific question I'll be glad to answer as best I can.
OK, very specific - what length inner tube valve for the Airline Corsa rims?
The bullet has been bitten - a D30 - delivery about 6 weeks ^_^

NickWi

Guru
OK, very specific - what length inner tube valve for the Airline Corsa rims?
The bullet has been bitten - a D30 - delivery about 6 weeks ^_^

Welcome to the club and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

To answer your question the OEM stems are 50mm, tho' I used 60mm ones as that was all my LBS had in stock when I swapped to narrower tyres.

robgul

Legendary Member
I bought an Orbea Gain D20 a few weeks ago - only ridden about 50 miles so far but seems pretty good - just getting the hang of gear usage and power. The very simple single button step-through presses for power settings is really neat, no big boxes on the handlebars. The only downside so far is that charging is in situ which I assume is an acceptable compromise to save the weight of the casing for a removable battery. Range is yet to be detremined but obviously dictated by power usage.

It looks like a road bike and rides like my venerable Galaxy (similar weight) ... that was the plan - ride without power most of the time, just kick in the motor for hills. I've added mudguards and rack, changed the rubbish OEM tyres for 32mm Marathons.

Rob

Mrs R

Anyone had a ride on one of these yet? I'm seriously considering an ebike due to medical issues and the possibilty of major surgery. Coming from a club riding, road cycling, road bike background I find most ebikes hideous looking and horrendously heavy. The Gain appears to be relatively light and good looking - and starting at around £1800, good priced too. (I find the Giant and Raleigh road ebikes ugly BTW). No one appears to have them in stock though. I'm prepared to travel to see and test ride one but meanwhile has anyone any experience of them?
I’ve just taken delivery of one and have borrowed the demo one from my local dealer a number of times - I love it as I have arthritic knees and it just gives me that little bit of support by taking some of the strain off the knee when out with the club - and it doesn’t look like an ebike

davids023

I’ve just taken delivery of one and have borrowed the demo one from my local dealer a number of times - I love it as I have arthritic knees and it just gives me that little bit of support by taking some of the strain off the knee when out with the club - and it doesn’t look like an ebike

How long ago did you order the bike? I ordered my D30 mid April, expected delivery was 15th May, then got pushed to 30th May. Now is expected 2nd July.
Did everyone else go through this too?

robgul

Legendary Member
I'm in the trade (but not an Orbea dealer) and had to buy mine retail from Tredz :-( - when I ordered it at the end of March mine was the only size/colour listed - when I place my order the delivery went out to July ... perhaps I had the last one in stock? A friend who is Orbea dealer (who couldn't get one for me) says that delivery of the whole Gain range has been pushed to mid, then late July (possibly) ... and he has 6 orders with deposits.

Everyone that has seen mine has been stunned at the appearance, quality and price points.... looks like Orbea is on a winner ifthey can get them made.

Rob

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm.genuinely staggered that they can cram that spec battery and motor into 11.3kg. Sounds like a bit of a game changer for the ebike, as most models are so heavy so you can't ride them if the battery runs out, at sub 12kg its lighter than a good proportion of Mountain bikes

robgul

Legendary Member
I'm.genuinely staggered that they can cram that spec battery and motor into 11.3kg. Sounds like a bit of a game changer for the ebike, as most models are so heavy so you can't ride them if the battery runs out, at sub 12kg its lighter than a good proportion of Mountain bikes

.... a lot of the weight saving is because the battery is not removable for charging, thus saving the weight of the battery case that would need to be pretty robust (the battery is removable by a dealer for replacement etc) ..... the downside is that you have to charge it in situ - not an issue to me and I knew that - BUT it's not made very clear on the Orbea website specs. The drive-train is also relatively light (Claris with hollowtech BB)

Rob

Top Bottom