Hi From Bath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I am awaiting confirmation of a vintage 1930’s frame which I hope comes good.

In the meantime this is a budget build on a Raleigh Chiltern, building it to use over reasonable distances so wheels are now aluminium with 7 speed hub gears, still a bit of cable re routing & aesthetic bits to complete but I’m aiming to complete the whole thing for under £70 including the bike. Pub bike

Welcome @Alwaysbroken and i like what you have done to that Chiltern , what made you pick a modern hub over an older sturmey 3 speed one ?

I have a couple of 1950's road bike's that are 3 speed equipped and love them , never tried any of the more modern sturmey offerings yet .....

Thanks @Heltor Chasca

OP
OP
Alwaysbroken

Alwaysbroken

Thank you

I wanted something practical and that would also look nice against my Wife’s Bianchi cafe racer, she has the Nexus 7 hub and it it a nice spread of gears, I haven’t had the pleasure of trying a 3 speed hub but made an assumption that it may be a bit restrictive on longer rides?

I need to turn the hub 90deg so the cable can be lost behind the chain stay, invert the grip shift to lose the horrible cable exit under the handlebars, I’m keeping the rack but will paint it black & fit an old varnished champagne crate to it. Some leather grips, loose the chain guard, tidy cables & itl be good for a ride to the pub in the summer

OP
OP
Alwaysbroken

Alwaysbroken

@biggs682

How do you find the Sturmey 3 speed, in that I mean is the jump between the ratios difficult or frustrating in very hilly areas?
Much of the leisure riding I would do on a vintage bike would be between Bristol & Bath, bloody hills everywhere!

I’m looking at dual top tube bikes, but the lower slung types rather than the taller frames, long slack rides that the riding position & weight likely makes them hard going & likely 3 speed if I’m lucky.

I’m not sure what manufacturer the bike on the attached pic is as I can’t make out the writing on top tube, the owner is on holiday at the moment, but aesthetically I love it.

Attachments

• EEAB8188-D2FE-4DB9-815D-51700E8D75E6.png
    EEAB8188-D2FE-4DB9-815D-51700E8D75E6.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 9E067937-D4B0-4D4B-9B32-9C232E9C2AD5.png
    9E067937-D4B0-4D4B-9B32-9C232E9C2AD5.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 32

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Alwaysbroken yes ratios can be hard but nothing stopping you from swapping cog's to find what works best .

I find that hills are slow slogs for sure but once conquered you can relax and celebrate .

If you like what you see why worry re make ?

OP
OP
Alwaysbroken

Alwaysbroken

Only that I already have a couple of bikes 30 & 35 years old bought old’ish but modern enough to hopefully use regularly & are not of any real value.
I like the look of the bike pictured but am also quite keen to get something that has some history, that I may invest time into. A known collectible model.

Top Bottom