Hi from Brighouse in West Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It was nice riding on the flat for a change, so I was just wondering what lies beyond Brighouse on the towpath. (I know where the towpath goes, but I don't know what state it is in, or how pleasant it is.

You can't get from Brighouse to the A62 Cooper Bridge road very easily. However, from there you can use the Calder Valley Greenway (just up the A62 to Huddersfield a bit) to go from there through to Dewsbury ^_^ and it'll join Ossett to Wakefield and beyond in the next week or so.

Alternatively the Birkby Bradley Greenway goes from the same point through to Huddersfield, but it seems to vanish in the middle of an industrial estate :wacko:

Kevin Airey

Ah Brighouse I remember it well and used to live on Huddersfield Road, that was 15 years ago before moving to Southern Spain.

Only been cycling here since last October but with 7,000Km's so far I am feeling fitter and better than ever at 48!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hello from me... :smile:
It's actually over 3 years since Steve H started this thread!

We've done quite a few forum rides together since then and he got a lot fitter pretty quickly. I thought of him when I was in Brighouse yesterday and how it only seemed like a short time since he first posted here.

You can't get from Brighouse to the A62 Cooper Bridge road very easily. However, from there you can use the Calder Valley Greenway (just up the A62 to Huddersfield a bit) to go from there through to Dewsbury ^_^ and it'll join Ossett to Wakefield and beyond in the next week or so.

Alternatively the Birkby Bradley Greenway goes from the same point through to Huddersfield, but it seems to vanish in the middle of an industrial estate :wacko:
Thanks. New Greenways seem to be popping up all over the place!

I like the Padiham Greenway and was reading about some others in that area this afternoon.

It makes a lot of sense to make better use of canal towpaths and disused railway lines. It is so much nicer riding on decent tarmac than on battered dirt towpaths, especially after rain.

There were a lot of walkers and cyclists out on the Greenway between Sowerby Bridge and Brighouse yesterday. There is obviously a lot of pent-up demand for attractive, safe cycleways like that and there are a lot of unemployed people who could be paid for building them, so I say tarmac every towpath, and reclaim every remaining disused railway line before they get swallowed up by housing, retail and industrial estates!
Ah Brighouse I remember it well and used to live on Huddersfield Road, that was 15 years ago before moving to Southern Spain.

Only been cycling here since last October but with 7,000Km's so far I am feeling fitter and better than ever at 48!
Brighouse vs Southern Spain - difficult choice ... :laugh: Actually, it was nice here in the sunshine yesterday and today, but the last 6 wet summers almost finished me off - last year, literally!

7,000 km in 9 months is pretty impressive - keep it up! :bravo:

ColinJ

:rofl:

I meant Steve H as well you know!
He's a big lad, is Steve! I'm 6' 1" and was about 16 stone when I first met him and he towered about 5 inches over me and weighed about 3 stone more!

(As for the size of his 'nads and how hairy they are, you'd have to ask him. Actually, after seeing what happened in the recent Catherine Zeta Jones thread - don't! :thumbsup:)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
No I was just wondering if he always wraps up in a headscarf (actually a buff?) and wears sunglasses like that?

The sunglasses make him look pretty striking (its an avatar I have always found memorable), and from a distance i.e. With a small avatar picture that doesn't let one see enough detail (like I have viewed this forum before on other computers), he looks a bit like a Continental (particularly southern Europe) woman of a certain age and lifestyle/style! :laugh:

Yes, I'll start running now... BYE!!

mfc1876

I realise this thread is 3 years old but it's inspiring to read through it and see a newbie (like myself) go on to ride loads of miles and get fitter. Steel's my resolve to keep cycling! How often do these CC rides happen ColinJ and where do you announce them? I wont be nowhere good enough yet but just for future reference...

ColinJ

I realise this thread is 3 years old but it's inspiring to read through it and see a newbie (like myself) go on to ride loads of miles and get fitter. Steel's my resolve to keep cycling! How often do these CC rides happen ColinJ and where do you announce them? I wont be nowhere good enough yet but just for future reference...
I used to organise at least one ride a month but unfortunately the last one I did was in July 2012 because I became seriously ill a week later and am still recovering from that illness!

Other CC members organise rides too, of course, though I do notice that the frequency of rides in this neck of the woods has tumbled recently. :whistle:

I am riding again but it looks as though it will be months before I am well enough (and fit enough) to organise another ride. The rides are featured in the CC & Informal Rides and Events forum.

mfc1876

I used to organise at least one ride a month but unfortunately the last one I did was in July 2012 because I became seriously ill a week later and am still recovering from that illness!

Other CC members organise rides too, of course, though I do notice that the frequency of rides in this neck of the woods has tumbled recently. :whistle:

I am riding again but it looks as though it will be months before I am well enough (and fit enough) to organise another ride. The rides are featured in the CC & Informal Rides and Events forum.

Ok thanks mate. Glad to see you recovered and are riding again.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ok thanks mate. Glad to see you recovered and are riding again.
If you're looking for informal rides just post one up inthe rides section. Don't assume you aren't good enough yet, there's no better way to improve than to ride with others, but you perhaps need to make it clear you aren't into centuries at chain gang pace...... Other than that, let folk know you fancy a gentle excursion with no pressures, you'll be surprised how many people wan the same sort of leisurely outing.

Are you local to Brighouse?

mfc1876

No I'm from Redcar. I'll get a bit more practice in first though then maybe look into local clubs or see who's nearby on here.

Top Bottom