Hi from Brighouse in West Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cubby

Über Member
Pmsl @ Colin .....

Ok i shall rephrase ... plenty which involve the canal tow path .... :blush:

shippers

Steve H- there's a 100km ride in Manchester- I know, I shudder when I type the word- on september 5th. I would think it's a reasonably flat route though I might be talking rubbish there.

There's a 100 miler ride on the same day, from the same start point.
No pressure...

Or the annual GYBR- Wetherby to Filey, though that's only in June, and Ithink it's 70 miles.

Hi, another newbie from Brighouse, myself and my daughter are getting fit cycling (well I am, my daughter sits in her little trailer behind my bike).
Managed a 15 miler yesterday (Brighouse to sowerby bridge), planning a 28 for next Sunday.

Prefer canal paths.
My bike is a hybrid (more commuter than off road).

Happy to have company if your up for it?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi, another newbie from Brighouse, myself and my daughter are getting fit cycling (well I am, my daughter sits in her little trailer behind my bike).
Managed a 15 miler yesterday (Brighouse to sowerby bridge), planning a 28 for next Sunday.

Prefer canal paths.
My bike is a hybrid (more commuter than off road).

Happy to have company if your up for it?
Hi Nij48!

It's 2.5 years since Steve's original post and he has really got into his cycling. I've ridden with him on several of my CycleChat forum rides.

I met him in Hebden Bridge this afternoon, actually, when he made a cafe stop during a local audax ride that he was taking part in. He treated me to coffee and buttered crumpets before setting off to tackle the second half of the route. (Thanks Steve - it was appreciated! :thumbsup: )

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
Oy! Get orf my land!

Only joking Nij. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for resurrecting my first ever post from 2 1/2 years ago. I've come a long way since back then - about 4000 miles!

I probably started in the same way as yourself - steady rides along the canal to Sowerby Bridge, gradually building up the miles over a few months.

Oy! Get orf my land!

Only joking Nij. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for resurrecting my first ever post from 2 1/2 years ago. I've come a long way since back then - about 4000 miles!

I probably started in the same way as yourself - steady rides along the canal to Sowerby Bridge, gradually building up the miles over a few months.

Thats my plan mate, tho looking at the map you more Baliff than Brighouse, I am Hove Edge, so have the nice hill to ride up at the end (tho it is a great starting off point lol)

Glad to see you stuck at it...I get the feeling its a bit adictive.

ColinJ

Hi @Steve H!

In a funny old twist of fate, it is now me who is the near-novice cyclist.

I rode the Calder Valley Cycleway/Greenway to Brighouse and back today.

I was just wondering ... what is the canal towpath like beyond Brighouse? I was wondering if it might be worth continuing to Mirfield or maybe Dewsbury? (I could then come back the same way or hop on the train if I didn't fancy the ride.)

ColinJ

Dude you're back on the bike! Awesome!
Yes - it's been a couple of months now, d_b! I am generally making slow progress, but I felt faint riding up Cragg Vale the other week - I think I was just pushing myself too hard. A 19 mile loop including the Cragg Vale climb is the hardest ride I've done so far, and the 25 mile towpath ride is the longest.

I was hoping to get back into doing forum rides quite quickly but I think that it is not really sensible to rush. Maybe I can get to that level by the autumn though? Only time will tell.

It was nice riding on the flat for a change, so I was just wondering what lies beyond Brighouse on the towpath. (I know where the towpath goes, but I don't know what state it is in, or how pleasant it is. I was surprised by how green the Calder Valley Greenway to Brighouse is! It is right next to the main roads between Halifax, Greetland, Elland and Brighouse so you can hear the roar of traffic, but there are lots of trees either side so it otherwise feels like you are riding in the countryside.)

Top Bottom