Hi from Brighton!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flick161

Regular
Hello from Brighton! I am possibly the world's worst cyclist but hate being bad at things so eager to get better.
I've got a battered old Rideback MTB. Want to buy a road bike but feel like I need to wait a bit until I can ride long enough to know I'll stick at it.
Hopefully I'll get lots of encouragement on here :blush:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: Ridgeback are very good bikes

OP
OP
flick161

flick161

Regular
So I'm told (I know next to nothing about bikes but learn fast).
Another member suggested switching the tyres to slick MTB tyres to help me a little

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @flick161

From the above comments and what you've said elsewhere I have to ask; is the bike set up right for you? I find it really common for new cyclists to have their saddle set much too low which makes riding hard work and makes the muscles round the knees hurt.

My oft repeated advice applies: set the saddle so that with your heel on the pedal your leg is just about straight at the lowest point of the pedal stroke. The bend in the knee should then be about what it should be when pedalling with the ball of the foot.:okay:

OP
OP
flick161

flick161

Regular
Hi and :welcome: @flick161

From the above comments and what you've said elsewhere I have to ask; is the bike set up right for you? I find it really common for new cyclists to have their saddle set much too low which makes riding hard work and makes the muscles round the knees hurt.

Hi Phil,
definitely got my saddle set to the correct height, I changed it when I bought a new one last week (it was too low). I just get really horrific lactic acid burn in my Legs which doesn't seem to go no matter what speed I'm riding at.

The handlebars however, are too high. But there's one rusty nut on them that I CANNOT get off! :cry:

Mrs M

Guru
Hello :welcome:

OP
OP
flick161

flick161

Regular
Thanks for the welcomes all!
Hoping to get out for a ride on my new tyres tomorrow. Will report back and let you know how I got on... *fingers crossed*

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hello Hi from Birghton and welcome to CC.

A few of us will be heading to Brighton on Sunday following the Vintage Vehicle Rally.
Hitting Brighton seafront about 12-1pm. Probs have fish & chips on the beach by the big wheel thingy.
Come say hello.

Top Bottom