Hi from Derbyshire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RachelB

Hi everyone my name is Rachel in Derbyshire, England. I am a total beginner and I joined as a am wanting to learn about Cycling and to take it up to connect with my dad who is a HUGE Cyclist! I want to learn everything I can about road cycling and then to hopefully surprise him with my knowledge and riding abilities and to then go on a cycling holiday with him I think he will love it and be totally shocked! It's a secret mission basically ha, I hope to get lots of advice and tips here pretty please, I don't even have a bike yet!! Thanks, Rachel xx

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wow! What a lucky dad.

You have come to the right place :okay:. No need to say Derbyshire England, this is a predominantly UK website so we know where Derbyshire is :laugh:

Unfortunately, Derbyshire also usually means hills so you might have to work a bit harder than someone from say..... Norfolk.

I'm sure your dad would love to have you along on a few rides regardless of speed or distance so don't worry massively about getting super fit before surprising him. Has he not tried to encourage you to cycle with him already?

Despite the hills, Derbyshire has some amazing cycling locations, truly epic, mind blowing roads and scenery so you are already off to a head start compared to someone living in that grotty 'down south' :laugh:. If you want to do some rides with him before you take to the roads then maybe ask if he can join you for a ride on one of the ex-railway type trails like the Tissington, High Peak or Monsall trails.

What kind of cycling does your dad do, road, touring, MTB, etc?

Oh, welcome to the forum :hello:

Hi everyone my name is Rachel in Derbyshire, England. I am a total beginner and I joined as a am wanting to learn about Cycling and to take it up to connect with my dad who is a HUGE Cyclist! I want to learn everything I can about road cycling and then to hopefully surprise him with my knowledge and riding abilities and to then go on a cycling holiday with him I think he will love it and be totally shocked! It's a secret mission basically ha, I hope to get lots of advice and tips here pretty please, I don't even have a bike yet!! Thanks, Rachel xx

Hi & welcome.
That's a great backstory for getting into cycling^_^

I came here from your "what bike" thread. You're going to get a lot of help from folks far better equipped than me so I'll stay out of that.

I understand that you're on a secret mission but I wonder if you're not also missing an opportunity?
Surely your Dad would love the chance to encourage you in his passion?
Would he feel miffed that you went to online strangers rather than him?
You know the man best of all.

Best of luck in your mission!

And cycling holidays? They're the best!^_^

13 rider

Guru
Hi from the next county down Leicestershire . I often venture into the southern part of Derbyshire on my rides and I off to the peaks Buxton area for a week in June to climb some hills . Good luck on your journey

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's a great story and I'm sure it will work for you. I'm in full agreement with @HobbesOnTour if I was your Dad I would be delighted to help you achieve your aim. Please think about giving him both the pleasure of helping you along with the delight of cycling away on holiday with his daughter.

You say your Dad is a HUGE cyclist. My tips would be to enlist his help in choosing a bike and if your budget allows seriously consider an ebike as this would help bridge the gap in experience, fitness, stamina etc.

My eldest son has developed in to a very good rider. It delights me because I've always seen his potential. When he calls me to suggest a ride I'm always thrilled to be asked.

A friend approached me two years ago and asked if I would show her "what she was doing wrong." Her words. Basically I said if you don't mind what I say I'll be happy to help. We spent months working on every aspect of hee cycling. It was great. At one point I told her the time will come when you'll smash me. She laughed.

A few weeks ago as myself and a buddy, who knows the work we put in, gave everything to keep up with her he turned to me and said "I blame you for this!" We're delighted to see what she's achieved.

Two things here. The chance to help someone who wants to learn is wonderful and cycle touring or holidays are just the best cycling there is.

Have a great time and involve your Dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom