Hi from East Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thesaintjason

Hi,

Like a lot of people I guess coming back to cycling after a number of years away. I'm mainly a middle/long distance runner and run for Sale Harriers in Manchester. Having competed several marathons with a best of 2:57 I decided to mix my training up a bit for injury prevention and using some different muscles etc.

The fact I needed to commute to work having spent 13 years in a car was also a major factor in getting a road bike.

I ended up getting a Trek 2.3 2011 compact which I am really, really pleased with. I went out over to Holmfirth last weekend as the first proper ride out on it since purchase and I loved every minute of it. Climbing and descending felt great (well maybe not the climbing so much).

Anyway, I hope to glean lots of useful info from here and excuse any noob questions I may throw out from time to time.

SJ

DTD

Veteran
Welcome from yet another Mancunian

wave.gif

OP
OP
thesaintjason

thesaintjason

Thanks all,

I think I read somewhere about Manchester being one of the fastest growing cities in terms of people taking up cycling! Guess from the comments this is true.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Welcome from Diddlesbury :hello:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is starting to give me an idea........

All these Mancunians (or thereabouts) should be herded together and go for a ride together. What better than a ride around Manchester, not just riding around in Manchester but a ride ROUND Manchester. How about a loop similar to the M60? A ring of Manchester....The Manchester Ring.

Just a very quick play with a basic route planner suggests a distance of between 50-60 miles and starting where I live in Ashton-under-Lyne would go something like :-

Ashton-Oldham-Middleton-Heaton Park-Whitefield-Kearsley-Worsley-Urmston-Flixton-Timperley-Northenden-Gatley-Bramhall-Hazel Grove-Bredbury-Denton-Ashton.

Hmmmm.... would it work? Could I organise my own CC informal bike ride?

This is starting to give me an idea........

All these Mancunians (or thereabouts) should be herded together and go for a ride together. What better than a ride around Manchester, not just riding around in Manchester but a ride ROUND Manchester. How about a loop similar to the M60? A ring of Manchester....The Manchester Ring.

Just a very quick play with a basic route planner suggests a distance of between 50-60 miles and starting where I live in Ashton-under-Lyne would go something like :-

Ashton-Oldham-Middleton-Heaton Park-Whitefield-Kearsley-Worsley-Urmston-Flixton-Timperley-Northenden-Gatley-Bramhall-Hazel Grove-Bredbury-Denton-Ashton.

Hmmmm.... would it work? Could I organise my own CC informal bike ride?

That sounds like a fab idea but for the fact that we're spread across the four corners of Manc so some people will be cycling a full 50% further than others... unless you start in city centre.

I be up for it so long as it was commuter pace :biggrin:

Top Bottom