Hi from Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavieB

MIA
Just started cycling again. Bought a Specialized Hardrock 4 year ago with the same intention, but never really got round to the using it bit. Swapped my dad a GPS for an unused Carrerra virtuoso last year but I was living in a flat and could never be bothered taking it down the stairs:blush:

Moved house now and decided to use the road bike. Had to buy a decent pump to get enough air in the tyres already ;) my budget asda ones were not upto 90psi:angry: got a Mini G 20 quid :evil:

Anyway went out on bike for the first time today done about 5 miles and was knackered :tongue: (in my defence I forgot to take my inhaler before I started wont make that mistake again) I intend to ride a 20 mile round trip on monday all roads (very very poor quality and potholed all the way there )

By the end of the summer I hope to be capable of a 60 mile round trip. (probably aiming a bit high lol)

Thanks for reading and does anyone have any tips for a complete newbie?

Hiya,

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Hlab are you in any cycle clubs in Fife? I knew a boy who was in Dunfermline club. Guy had some bike. Used a tour de great britain fixed gear thing for training on.

Hi DavieB!

In real life I am also a Davie B! ;)

Good man for getting out on the bike. The best advice I can give is...get out on the bike! Seriously, the more you are out on it the easier it gets! The best way to train for cycling, is to cycle!

Oh and have fun! :evil:

Jane Smart

The Queen
Hiya Davie and welcome along from me too:biggrin:

As has been said, the more you do, the better it gets. I started cycling last year, first of all, learning to ride, then five miles, then ten, etc., tomorrow I am doing a 100 mile ride.

I am in Dunfermline Cycle Club for the record, who do you know?? :evil:

killiekosmos

Veteran
Hi, DavieB

Use your 5 mile trip as a benchmark to see for yourself how you are improving. Gradually step up the effort (ride faster, or go for a longer ride, or find a few hills) You will soon improve.

There are lots of good routes around Glasgow and you can take bikes on trains if you want to venture further.

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Jane Smart said:
Hiya Davie and welcome along from me too:biggrin:

As has been said, the more you do, the better it gets. I started cycling last year, first of all, learning to ride, then five miles, then ten, etc., tomorrow I am doing a 100 mile ride.

I am in Dunfermline Cycle Club for the record, who do you know?? :evil:

Its a boy I worked with. Jim ???for the life of me I cant remember his surname. He was a mechanic with Curtiss vauxhall I worked with him at MAN in Halbeath. If it helps he was over 20 stone when he started cycling and now their aint a bit of meat on him. He was from crossgates. Must be about 45+

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi DavieB and :evil:!

Now that you've started cycling again, watch out, it may become addictive :tongue:.

If you fancy joining a friendly (but slightly mad ;)) bunch of people for a ride some time, look out for the "CC Ecosse" rides in the CC and Informal rides section of the forum. There is one in the planning stages just now for July, see here.

T

P.S. Sorry to slightly hi-jack your thread - Jane, what 100M ride is that? Good luck anyway ...

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Telemark said:
Hi DavieB and :evil:!

Now that you've started cycling again, watch out, it may become addictive :tongue:.

If you fancy joining a friendly (but slightly mad ;)) bunch of people for a ride some time, look out for the "CC Ecosse" rides in the CC and Informal rides section of the forum. There is one in the planning stages just now for July, see here.

T

P.S. Sorry to slightly hi-jack your thread - Jane, what 100M ride is that? Good luck anyway ...

Be a long while before Im confident enough in my fitness to ride with anyone. as soon as I am I will be in tuoch through the forum.

Jane Smart

The Queen
DavieB said:
Its a boy I worked with. Jim ???for the life of me I cant remember his surname. He was a mechanic with Curtiss vauxhall I worked with him at MAN in Halbeath. If it helps he was over 20 stone when he started cycling and now their aint a bit of meat on him. He was from crossgates. Must be about 45+

I know Jim well, he is a great guy, very fit and yes very slim now!

I see him on the club runs most Saturdays, although I won't be doing the run tomorrow, as I have another ride and won't make next week either, as I am off to a wedding!

:evil:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
DavieB said:
Be a long while before Im confident enough in my fitness to ride with anyone. as soon as I am I will be in tuoch through the forum.

Don't leave it too long though, the motto of these rides is "nobody gets left behind". You miss out on lots of fun & banter otherwise, and we haven't even mentioned the cake stops yet (or scampi stops for Eldudino, if the latest thread is anything to go by ;). Most of us were the "lanterne rouge" at some point (except for a few greyhounds of course), there is no shame in it :tongue:.

[the current ride being planned may be a wee bit long for somebody who has only just started again, but we do shorter ones too, and you'll pick up the distance quickly, just keep cycling]

T

Jane Smart

The Queen
Telemark ( again sorry to hi-Jack thread)

I am doing a charity ride tomorrow from Blairhall ( Fife ) to St. Andrews. Some of the Dunfermline Club are going, but it is not a club organised event.

So this will be my first 100. I did 56 on tuesday and have been doing 40 + most rides, just to get some miles in.. .. ..

Ok back to the thread, and once again welcome Davie :evil:

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Jane Smart said:
I know Jim well, he is a great guy, very fit and yes very slim now!

I see him on the club runs most Saturdays, although I won't be doing the run tomorrow, as I have another ride and won't make next week either, as I am off to a wedding!

;)

Tell Jim Davie Bruce was asking for him and I took his advice and got a road bike. Guy has got some smashing bikes. He brought in his carbon fibre one day that his parents got him thing is feather weight. (and whats his surname :evil:)

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Telemark said:
Don't leave it too long though, the motto of these rides is "nobody gets left behind". You miss out on lots of fun & banter otherwise, and we haven't even mentioned the cake stops yet (or scampi stops for Eldudino, if the latest thread is anything to go by ;). Most of us were the "lanterne rouge" at some point (except for a few greyhounds of course), there is no shame in it :tongue:.

[the current ride being planned may be a wee bit long for somebody who has only just started again, but we do shorter ones too, and you'll pick up the distance quickly, just keep cycling]

T

Aye wil do I wil see how it goes with the fitness, hopefully I can build myself up for it in the next month or so. I intend on doing 5-10 miles a day all next week and gradually building up. If I feel upto it I will repeat the journey again at night.

Top Bottom