Hi From Leics (outside lockdown - just) - 40 Year old Carlton Grand Prix Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jcbrown

Regular
:welcome:

Looks like a nice project. And the memories only make it more special. Should come up a treat when it's done. :okay:

A fairly standard toolkit (spanners, sockets, pliers, set of allen keys etc) will take care of most of the jobs. You will want *some* bike-specific tools, but best get as and when you need - pedal spanner, crank bolt spanner (you can get a 2-in-1 for those) and a crank extractor and a decent set of cable cutters.

WD40 or GT85, plus Barkeeper's Friend (an oxalic acid-based cleaner) are invaluable, as are the plastic meat trays / mushroom punnets for keeping small parts in, or for opening anything containing bearings over.

Don't be afraid to ask if you get stuck - CC has a wealth of knowledge, and someone will know something about anything... :okay:
Thank you very much. Already have a full set of spanners, sockets, Allen keys, etc. and a dedicated set of bike tools including some/most of what you mention (used on my Boardman and a couple of spanner-phobic mate's bikes). so should be pretty much OK, but might need a couple of items. WD40 is always on standby here, but GT85 & Barkeepers now to be sought. Various plastic boxes & trays to be picked up today if time allows

I'm sure there will be questions & advice requested as this project progresses

OP
OP
J

jcbrown

Regular
Initial assessment: It's a bike Jim, but not as we know it!

Looking over it last night, It really is in quite a sorry state:

New cables & Bar tape, plus a good clean & polish
There is a lot of damage & surface rust. Full strip down & respray of the frame I think. Plus of course new decals
I hope the mudguard can be saved - love the pin-stripes, but it is rather misshaped in places
551018 551019
Rust abounds, And reflecting :smile: on it I might need some new parts to keep it legal
551020 551021
Squaring the Circle! Should it be that shape? It might have to stay that way
More Cables & consumables like pads needed
551023 551024
More spots than it's teenage owner had - but structurally sound and not been got at by mice

I think this is going to be a bigger project than I first thought. But that just wants me to do it more :0

Drago

Legendary Member
Are you in oadby? My Ma is in the very last street under the lockdown (the houses opposite are outside the zone) but shes ignoring it and carrying on as normal. Both me and my Sister have given her a rollocking but she ignores us, daft woman.

OP
OP
J

jcbrown

Regular
Are you in oadby? My Ma is in the very last street under the lockdown (the houses opposite are outside the zone) but shes ignoring it and carrying on as normal. Both me and my Sister have given her a rollocking but she ignores us, daft woman.
I'm the other side of Leicester: Ratby. The extended lockdown originally was about a mile away

Barkeeper's Friend (blue bottle, sold in Wilkinsons and other such places) should take care of the worst of the rust and tarnishing on the bare metal parts. But if you can, do wear gloves, as it's not terribly kind on your skin. After that, some judicious applications of WD40 (or GT85 - they're more or less the same thing) and a few goes with some wet and dry.

The seatpost, chainset and cranks, and the stem and stem bolts are likely to be royally stuck after all this time, so I'd suggest you start by marinating in WD40, applying at least once a day for several days and just leaving it to penetrate under all the dirt etc. In the mean time, you can tackle other parts of the stripdown.

OP
OP
J

jcbrown

Regular
Is there a Cliff Pratt shop decal on the frame, just curious.
Not that I can see, no

OP
OP
J

jcbrown

Regular
Barkeeper's Friend (blue bottle, sold in Wilkinson's and other such places) should take care of the worst of the rust and tarnishing on the bare metal parts. But if you can, do wear gloves, as it's not terribly kind on your skin. After that, some judicious applications of WD40 (or GT85 - they're more or less the same thing) and a few goes with some wet and dry.
Thanks, forgot to look for Barkeepers whilst in Wilko's yesterday. Already have WD & gloves

The seatpost, chainset and cranks, and the stem and stem bolts are likely to be royally stuck after all this time, so I'd suggest you start by marinating in WD40, applying at least once a day for several days and just leaving it to penetrate under all the dirt etc. In the mean time, you can tackle other parts of the stripdown.
Spent a couple of hours on it yesterday. Seatpost stiff, but came out eventually. Stem & stembolts easy. Crank, chain set & pedals^_^ firmly welded in place, so 1st WD40 marinade applied.

other than that: Wheels out, mudguard off, front & rear brakes off, front derailleur off, both brakes and front derailleur cables removed (rear still in place). Bars & seat as above. Still to strip/remove: Forks (didn't want to tackle all those ball-bearing as it was getting dark), chain, rear derailleur, cranks, pedals, shifters

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Crank, chain set & pedals^_^ firmly welded in place, so 1st WD40 marinade applied.
Although it has good penetrating properties, WD40 is not the best penetrating oil.
It was designed as a water dispersant.
That's why it is great for drying out car or motor-cycle ignition systems and for protecting surfaces against corrosion.
Plus-gas is much better for those really tough jobs like cranks and pedals.

screenman

Legendary Member
Welcome,

I worked in Cliff Pratt during that period, towards the end though when I was working during my uni holidays. I might well have PDI'd it lol

That is why it has lasted so long. When did you leave Cliff Pratt we used to go in there often from about 1990 onwards, mind you Kingston Cycles looked after us a lot better.

Top Bottom