Hi From Leics (outside lockdown - just) - 40 Year old Carlton Grand Prix Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jcbrown

Regular
Getting there.

Couple more hours yesterday evening. Just cranks and bottom bracket to remove really.
20201008_183753.jpg

But not sure where all these came from! More parts than a flat-pack wardrobe, and fewer instructions :ohmy:
20201008_183802.jpg

Actually, I have copious photos of every part being taken off, so I will be finea

RichardB

Slightly retro
Hi

Just rescued my old Carlton Grand Prix from where it has been rotting away for about 30 years.

I originally got the bike new for my 12th or 13th Birthday (I think) from Cliff Pratts bike shop in Hull - I still remember picking it up over 40 years ago :smile:.

I bought a Carlton Corsair from there in about 1982. I modified it extensively and then lost track of it during a divorce. Recently I found one on ebay and bought it. I was looking for a familiar bike to restore (same motivation as you, I think) but it turned out to be so original and in such good condition that all I have to do is ride it. I've bought another old frame to satisfy my bike-building urges.

I hope the mudguard can be saved - love the pin-stripes, but it is rather misshaped in places
View attachment 551018 View attachment 551019

Do not bin those mudguards! They are the original ESGE chromoplastics and are now unobtainable. Most people (me included) took them off and so 95% of the Carltons on sale from that period are missing them, and the bike won't ever be original without them.

Nice looking bike - good luck with the resto.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve just picked one of these up today, really nice original condition, complete with thermoplastic mudguards. just needs a refresh rather than a restoration. I’ll post some photos later.

Top Bottom