Hi from South London - looking for feedback on my Covid-proof bike repair idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregoryEpps

Hi all,

I'm currently pretty concerned about the risks of close contact during the Covid-19 outbreak. The current solution has been to close our shop, so how do we keep customer bikes in working order? I have been testing a system of remote repairs - this starts with quoting for repairs from images in WhatsApp, then collecting and dropping bikes at home, and providing high-end road bikes on loan while doing the repairs. I figure this will solve most of the social distancing problems, as well as the current queuing problems. What I really need now is feedback from regular cyclists in South London so I can get this working for you properly so you can continue cycling as per normal. I would really appreciate if anyone has time for a quick call so I can find out more about the different circumstances you find yourself in - i'll post my email to arrange this if there are any responses! I'm not offering any services yet, just looking for feedback, so hope this doesn't infringe on the forum rues. (If I can I'll make a dedicated thread as well - if the moderators are OK with that?)

About me: I'm a long time cyclist, having raced DH for team BLOC many years ago and generally working in the trade - currently the mechanic at Stratton Cycles (closed for now) in Wandsworth, previously managed Putney Cycles and started bike-life at Psycho in Battersea. I have also built mountain bike frames with my own design suspension system and tested suspension for other developers - what could be more fun than getting paid to ride?!

Thanks and enjoy the ride everyone, Greg

Brooks

I live in bexleyheath and all the local bike shops are open and trading well. If you don't open soon I'm thinking people will stick with those shops that served them during the current situation. Be lucky

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I’m in Kingston and did have my bike booked in for a service (and me for a bike fit) in early April at a shop in central London- which was conveniently close to my office, less so now.

I still want the bike fit first though (which I have already paid for) in case I need new components, which could then be fitted during the service. So not in the market but happy to chat if it would help.

My only thought so far though is to be flexible on what medium you ask people to use to get quotes. I’m not on WhatsApp for example (and have no intention of joining), but would use email, FaceTime, Skype, Zoom or Teams if you needed pics or a live video demonstration.

Top Bottom