Hi from Taunton Somerset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am having trouble using CycleChat! I thought I had posted on this page a few days ago but apparently not! I have a Marin road bike and do about 30 miles about 3 - 4 times a week. These are hilly miles as the Quantocks and Blackdowns are a tad difficult to avoid around here! Ultimately I'm seeking a small group to do the LEJOG with in April 2015 so ideally I'm looking for some cycle buddies locally who might have that as a goal for 12 months' time. Or.... just some local cycle buddies !! (probably just one evening a week at present during the lighter evenings as my other rides have to fit round my other commitments - so their timings are often last minute...). My average speed over 30 (hilly) miles is between 11 - 12 mph. Hope that gives an idea of what sort of level I'm at! Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I am having trouble using CycleChat! I thought I had posted on this page a few days ago but apparently not! I have a Marin road bike and do about 30 miles about 3 - 4 times a week. These are hilly miles as the Quantocks and Blackdowns are a tad difficult to avoid around here! Ultimately I'm seeking a small group to do the LEJOG with in April 2015 so ideally I'm looking for some cycle buddies locally who might have that as a goal for 12 months' time. Or.... just some local cycle buddies !! (probably just one evening a week at present during the lighter evenings as my other rides have to fit round my other commitments - so their timings are often last minute...). My average speed over 30 (hilly) miles is between 11 - 12 mph. Hope that gives an idea of what sort of level I'm at! Hope to hear from some of you soon.
Hi Nic
11-2 over hilly miles sounds good to me - I usually only manage 12 -13 average over 20-40 not-particularly-hilly miles. I'm just north of Bristol, as you can see below my avatar on the left, so not really local, but there are others nearer you who may eventually appear!

Have you seen this write-up on LEJOG? I enjoyed reading it - just click on the link (the blue text below).
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
:welcome: Hiya, I'm just the other side of the Blackdowns, my other half lays hedges (yes, really) with the Blackdown Hill Association. There'll be a good few members from your area popping in to say hello soon, particularly I think renowned cake expert @coffeejo and @Peteaud from that side of the hills. Enjoy, have fun and if you're feeling social hangout in the CC Cafe area, it's all mostly friendly stuff! (May contain nuts) :rolleyes:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
:welcome:

Hi, I'm in your neck of the woods, loads of great cycling round here :becool:

There are several clubs in the area - Cycle Somerset, Wellington Wheelers, Bridgwater Cycling Club, Chard Wheelers, Somerset Road Club to name but a few.

And cake. Lots of cake stops. (Thanks @IanDuke!)

OP
OP
chainreaction-nic
Hi Nic
11-2 over hilly miles sounds good to me - I usually only manage 12 -13 average over 20-40 not-particularly-hilly miles. I'm just north of Bristol, as you can see below my avatar on the left, so not really local, but there are others nearer you who may eventually appear!

Have you seen this write-up on LEJOG? I enjoyed reading it - just click on the link (the blue text below).
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

Well.... perhaps a little poetic licence on my mph (!) but - its not far off, on a good day, with a tail-wind - ha ha. Thanks for the link and yes I had read (some of) it. Its a giggle and some of it rings bells with me because like him, I was all set to do the LEJOG but in my case, my plans got scuppered. (see my profile). I'm in Bristol a lot cos we used to live there, still have friends there and two of my kids live there so... maybe join up for a ride sometime?? I know the Burrington Combe area quite well. BFN and.... I am assuming this is taking the form of a PM?

OP
OP
chainreaction-nic
:welcome: Hiya, I'm just the other side of the Blackdowns, my other half lays hedges (yes, really) with the Blackdown Hill Association. There'll be a good few members from your area popping in to say hello soon, particularly I think renowned cake expert @coffeejo and @Peteaud from that side of the hills. Enjoy, have fun and if you're feeling social hangout in the CC Cafe area, it's all mostly friendly stuff! (May contain nuts) :rolleyes:

Hi Ian - well i never cos I do a bit of hedge-laying myself - in Taunton - with a conservation group I help out with occasionally! Your other half and I would have much in common! It looks as if maybe I am getting to grips with this forum business - I've spent hours going round in circles til a 'Staff Member' called Spinney took me in hand and talked me through how to use it! Still not sure even now if what i'm writing to you at this moment is a PM or a general post. Its all so confusing! Anyway - I have occasionally cycled with the Wellington Wheelers in the past - and may do so again a bit this summer once I';ve worked up to their mileage and hillwork!! - and once or twice with an Exeter group. If you - and your cycle-mates - fancy a pedal together sometime - especially if during a weekday or a weekday evening, do get in touch. Have bike-rack so can travel to join up! Good to hear from you.

OP
OP
chainreaction-nic
:welcome:

Hi, I'm in your neck of the woods, loads of great cycling round here :becool:

There are several clubs in the area - Cycle Somerset, Wellington Wheelers, Bridgwater Cycling Club, Chard Wheelers, Somerset Road Club to name but a few.

And cake. Lots of cake stops. (Thanks @IanDuke!)

P.S. You're not the potty Ian who used to do a zillion miles with Welly Wheelers/The Exeter Bike Bus lot (whilst the more sane amongst us were doing 50-60 miles) are you? Did you do bike repairs and used to live in Cullompton??

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
P.S. You're not the potty Ian who used to do a zillion miles with Welly Wheelers/The Exeter Bike Bus lot (whilst the more sane amongst us were doing 50-60 miles) are you? Did you do bike repairs and used to live in Cullompton??
Nope, not an Ian, potty or otherwise. :tongue:

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Well, that was a post!! Umm...Potty..no, potty-mouthed, sometimes... Oh, and I have no friends.. it's a long story.

I am near Cully though. To be found generally on my own in the lanes of East Devon, carrying a bit of flapjack and a banana in a pocket and looking slightly lost on either a Boardman Comp or a Scot hybrid depending on quality of the roads to be attempted that day. And grinning normally too.

Persevere, you'll get the hang of it! :thumbsup:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Well.... perhaps a little poetic licence on my mph (!) but - its not far off, on a good day, with a tail-wind - ha ha. Thanks for the link and yes I had read (some of) it. Its a giggle and some of it rings bells with me because like him, I was all set to do the LEJOG but in my case, my plans got scuppered. (see my profile). I'm in Bristol a lot cos we used to live there, still have friends there and two of my kids live there so... maybe join up for a ride sometime?? I know the Burrington Combe area quite well. BFN and.... I am assuming this is taking the form of a PM?

Nope - everyone can see this! :eek:

(Look at the pale blue bar near the top of the screen, that tells you which part of the forum you're in!)

OP
OP
chainreaction-nic
Hi Nic,

I'm from WSM in Somerset originally, now living in "Error: File: Spring cannot be found" Canada...
Thanks. Nice to meet you but. ahem... not TOO helpful on the finding of cycle-mates side of things.... :wacko: P.S. What does "Error:File: Spring cannot be found" Canada..." mean please?? I don't speak Canadian. :blush:

Top Bottom