Hi from the south west

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
Hi Pinky I'm on the edge of the Mendips so can't get away from the hills either (until I get onto the levels that is :biggrin:) and I too was quite fit when I started having done martial arts for quite a few years. The thing is that different forms of exercise will require different strengths and types of fitness.

It took me a few months on the road bike struggling with hills but it got better and now its nowhere near as daunting or hard.

Tips wise I'd say just do it! Don't worry or think about it too hard, if you need to get off and push once in a while there's no problem but the more you do the easier it will become.

OP
OP
P

Pinky2872

jeltz said:
Hi Pinky I'm on the edge of the Mendips so can't get away from the hills either (until I get onto the levels that is :smile:) and I too was quite fit when I started having done martial arts for quite a few years. The thing is that different forms of exercise will require different strengths and types of fitness.

It took me a few months on the road bike struggling with hills but it got better and now its nowhere near as daunting or hard.

Tips wise I'd say just do it! Don't worry or think about it too hard, if you need to get off and push once in a while there's no problem but the more you do the easier it will become.

you are right I think I'll take the hilly way home tonight and tomorrow is my day off so thinking I'd put the bike on the car rack and go find a new place to ride, I kinda get bored taking the same route... I've got the attention span of a nat.... I don't normally need to get off I'm just slow I'll work on it.

RSDave

Hi Pinky,

I'm based in Newquay and have been riding for the last 6 months or so.. basically to keep my fit over the long winter.

The only way to beat the hills is to keep doing them I'm afraid. As your strength improves they get easier (but then you want to ride them faster :smile:). Select the easiest gear and pace yourself.. you'll make it!

OP
OP
P

Pinky2872

RSDave said:
Hi Pinky,

I'm based in Newquay and have been riding for the last 6 months or so.. basically to keep my fit over the long winter.

The only way to beat the hills is to keep doing them I'm afraid. As your strength improves they get easier (but then you want to ride them faster :smile:). Select the easiest gear and pace yourself.. you'll make it!

Thanks dave, ah Newquay another place blessed with huge hills! The rolling Cornish countryside.... Thinking about moving to holland I like flat!

Sharethan

Regular
I am from the Southwest area and the hills are frightening but its an old cliche but practise does make perfect just a bit painfull, But don't be a marter get off if its too hard and make sure when you attempt it again you go a little further.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hallo and welcome ;)

OP
OP
P

Pinky2872

Thank you i've been Reading the advice given and some older threads too I must say I feel inspired now, bring on the hills!
The warm welcome is very nice thanks again.
Tracey

OP
OP
P

Pinky2872

I know I've lived down here my whole life and everyday I still think how lucky I am. At least you can home down for holidays my dilema often is where to go in the uk for a break I live in the best part!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Pinky2872 said:
I know I've lived down here my whole life and everyday I still think how lucky I am. At least you can home down for holidays my dilema often is where to go in the uk for a break I live in the best part!

Very,Very true,i cannot think of a better place to live,just wish i could make the move for a better lifestyle.Looking forward more so this year as i'm riding down for the first time and meeting my herd in Penzance !

OP
OP
P

Pinky2872

skudupnorth said:
Very,Very true,i cannot think of a better place to live,just wish i could make the move for a better lifestyle.Looking forward more so this year as i'm riding down for the first time and meeting my herd in Penzance !

I was born and work in Penzance now, it's a nice place to cycle around very pretty... I cycle from Falmouth to Penzance most weekends it's a really nice ride.

Top Bottom