Hi from Wymondham, Norfolk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,
Long overdue for me to join a cycling forum; I've been a cyclist my whole life and don't drive.

I moved to Wymondham in March, it's great to see that there are so many cyclists here. Always see serious racers out on time trials, and a great number of recumbents around here too, it seems.

I own a Claud Butler Urban 100, I've spent many hundreds on it over the almost 2 years that it's been with me, there's a bit of history there:

Certainly I could have bought a couple of brand new bikes with that money, but this bike has great sentimental value: A friend of mine, who is far from well-off, won it on ebay for £40 and drove all the way from Harlow to Portsmouth to pick it up and give it to me for a birthday present, bless 'er :smile: It was hard-ridden and in a poor state, but I was determined to keep it for good and show my appreciation for the effort she made to get me a bike that I wanted.

In September last year, it was stolen from a car park in Harlow, certainly not a town where you'd have any hope of seeing your bike again, the police were useless, of course, despite having clear cctv footage of the thief. I was gutted, being a non-driver, my only transport and my independence had been taken away.

Well, six weeks later, my friends other half, SB, called to say that he'd spotted a Claud at a local boot sale. It turned out to be mine, and I retrieved it immediately, with very little fuss from the thieving **** who'd been caught red handed.

Just hours later, SB was killed in a tragic car accident. To both myself and my friend, this bike now has a kind of iconic status. The bikes name is Binky, and I wouldn't give him up for a million quid :biggrin:

I'm not particularly fit, but Binky and I still manage about 11-15 miles per day, my record is 52 miles in a day: from Harlow to Broxbourne, then along the Lea to the Thames and back. Obviously it's nothing compared to many members here, but not bad going for an overweight smoker!

I'll doubtless be bugging members on this forum for all sorts of advice on maintenance, parts, cycle clubs etc etc, and I look forward to chatting about anything to do with cycling.

I've had a peek at some members pics of the beautiful restoration work that they've carried out on their cycles. I've done what I can with Binky, but I hope to do much more. This could turn out to be like Triggers broom, but the way I see it: if I retain the frame, it's still the same bike in spirit.

P.S: Please tell me I'm not the only member to have named their bike!

IMG_2107 for email.jpg

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Ask Night Train about Granville
biggrin.gif
whistling.gif

Welcome to CC!

Hello hedgehog

not from your neck of the woods but do a bit of work out that way, not a bad area for cycling.

also read the story about the bike, puts a lot of things into perspective.

good luck

Welcome. Hope you find it as useful and friendly and worthwhile as I have. By the look of the lights on your bike you don't have much difficulty seeing your way down what I imagine are quiet Norfolk lanes.

hybrid_plonker

Your Binky looks fab.
Just what I am looking for (I THINK)
but doing research I found a bad review. 'Barry' says ----
Nice looking bike but no good to ride.Cycle over a twig and it feels like a log.
Is Barry telling porkies ?
(I am new too so finding my pedals)

Your Binky looks fab.
Just what I am looking for (I THINK)
but doing research I found a bad review. 'Barry' says ----
Nice looking bike but no good to ride.Cycle over a twig and it feels like a log.
Is Barry telling porkies ?
(I am new too so finding my pedals)

Well, it's true that a twig can feel like a log with 700c's. But if you have a road bike, you soon learn to steer clear. I have considered front shocks, but they'd have to be pretty firm, as they make cycling a little harder by taking some of the energy out of your forward motion. (I never understand people who buy dual suspension mountain bikes for general purpose cycling, but it seems that so many people do it)
Binky goes like sh*t off a shovel, but then I don't know what Barry means exactly by "no good to ride", there are so many factors to take in when describing a bikes performance and what you're looking to get out of it. I like to think my bike has gradually been tuned to go the way I like it, and I think it's down to the individual to gradually customise their ride til it does what they want it to. First and foremost: lose the saddle that came with the bike and either buy a new one or transfer your old one, mine is oversized and it's like an armchair.

Ps: I passed on your compliments to Binky, he's currently bouncing up and down in the shed, full of himself and glugging pints of WD40
biggrin.gif

Welcome. Hope you find it as useful and friendly and worthwhile as I have. By the look of the lights on your bike you don't have much difficulty seeing your way down what I imagine are quiet Norfolk lanes.

Cheers for the welcome Fletch :smile: Yep I get a lot of comments on the lighting set up, if I keep on like this the bike will end up lookin like a Lambretta
biggrin.gif

I have two old Cateye halogens mounted on a Minoura Swing Grip, one is angled down slightly for "low" beam, the other is my "high" beam, and works well for flashing motorists who leave their high beam on and don't recognise my existence! Then I have a Minoura Space Grip, which holds my cycle computer and an led light, which I just use for urban cycling and for being seen.

The rear light is a Cateye LD1100, which looks like a disco in the fog
rolleyes.gif
and I've also added a little rear "Skully", mainly for decor but it is a surprisingly powerful rear light for such a small thing.

Attachments

• IMG_2102 for email.jpg
    IMG_2102 for email.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 62

gds58

Über Member
the police were useless, of course, despite having clear cctv footage of the thief

I'm sorry to hear that your bike was stolen but I would take issue with you over your comments that 'the Police were useless, of course' They may well have had superb clear CCTV footage of the incident but sadly it doesn't come with a tag on it giving the persons name and address does it!! For christ's sake don't be so naieve as to think that the officers in Harlow will immediately know who the person is from looking at a bit of CCTV. I happen to have a lot of knowledge of how their system works and following the viewing of the CCTV the images would have been circulated to all officers in that division and surrounding ones to see if anybody recognises them. If they don't then I'm afraid that's unfortunate. They would have also used other intelligence led information to look at possible perpetrators but it's no guarantee that it will give an answer.

So may I suggest that you keep these kind of comments to yourself as you don't know who is on this forum, what they do (profession) etc and you are likely to offend somebody.

Rant over, welcome to the site but take more care with your comments in future!

Top Bottom