Hi from Wymondham, Norfolk.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Liked the story of Binky and can certainly understand your attachment. A Pratchett fan too? Or is it coincidentaL...

biggrin.gif
You got me, I'm a big Pratchett fan and yes, he is named after Deaths horse, or should I say: DEATHS HORSE. But also, it's a cute name, for a bike with a cute personality
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 57
I'm sorry to hear that your bike was stolen but I would take issue with you over your comments that 'the Police were useless, of course' They may well have had superb clear CCTV footage of the incident but sadly it doesn't come with a tag on it giving the persons name and address does it!! For christ's sake don't be so naieve as to think that the officers in Harlow will immediately know who the person is from looking at a bit of CCTV. I happen to have a lot of knowledge of how their system works and following the viewing of the CCTV the images would have been circulated to all officers in that division and surrounding ones to see if anybody recognises them. If they don't then I'm afraid that's unfortunate. They would have also used other intelligence led information to look at possible perpetrators but it's no guarantee that it will give an answer.

So may I suggest that you keep these kind of comments to yourself as you don't know who is on this forum, what they do (profession) etc and you are likely to offend somebody.

Rant over, welcome to the site but take more care with your comments in future!

Having lived in Harlow for many years, I have had a great deal of experience of the police and the way they work, and frankly, they leave a lot to be desired, like police everywhere I've lived, they tend to be reactive rather than proactive. I reported the bike stolen within 5 minutes of its disappearance. It took them two weeks to pick up the footage from the security office at Asda, which was 200 yards from the station, and only then after I popped in to refresh their memories.

Harlow isn't that big, there are plenty of known cycle thieves and several areas where stolen bikes are more likely to turn up than others. If I'd been allowed a copy of the cctv footage, I would have launched a poster campaign and might have had the bugger caught. As it turned out, the guy who was caught trying to sell the bike at a boot sale was well known and from an area of Harlow that was top of my list as to where it might have been taken.

My opinion of the police is that, yes, they have been pretty useless in many past incidences over the years where I've needed to call them, and I'm sure there are many who would agree. However, there have also been times when they've been very helpful, but only when there was an ongoing incident that required them to switch on the blues and twos and come tearing up the road. Like I said: reactive, not proactive.

Obviously I've hit a sore spot, but I don't think I deserved quite such a tirade launched against me for one small remark I made during my introductory story, which you jumped upon and used to tear strips off me. Frankly, I think the only person I've unintentionally offended here is yourself, and you've responded by quite deliberately offending me. Or maybe I'm wrong, perhaps I'm just being naive? Might I suggest that you also take care with your comments in future, and perhaps brush that chip off your shoulder.

I joined this forum to talk bikes, not slag off other members, thanks for the rather dubious welcome, I'm sure
sad.gif

gds58

Über Member
Having lived in Harlow for many years, I have had a great deal of experience of the police and the way they work, and frankly, they leave a lot to be desired, like police everywhere I've lived, they tend to be reactive rather than proactive. I reported the bike stolen within 5 minutes of its disappearance. It took them two weeks to pick up the footage from the security office at Asda, which was 200 yards from the station, and only then after I popped in to refresh their memories.

Harlow isn't that big, there are plenty of known cycle thieves and several areas where stolen bikes are more likely to turn up than others. If I'd been allowed a copy of the cctv footage, I would have launched a poster campaign and might have had the bugger caught. As it turned out, the guy who was caught trying to sell the bike at a boot sale was well known and from an area of Harlow that was top of my list as to where it might have been taken.

My opinion of the police is that, yes, they have been pretty useless in many past incidences over the years where I've needed to call them, and I'm sure there are many who would agree. However, there have also been times when they've been very helpful, but only when there was an ongoing incident that required them to switch on the blues and twos and come tearing up the road. Like I said: reactive, not proactive.

Obviously I've hit a sore spot, but I don't think I deserved quite such a tirade launched against me for one small remark I made during my introductory story, which you jumped upon and used to tear strips off me. Frankly, I think the only person I've unintentionally offended here is yourself, and you've responded by quite deliberately offending me. Or maybe I'm wrong, perhaps I'm just being naive? Might I suggest that you also take care with your comments in future, and perhaps brush that chip off your shoulder.

I joined this forum to talk bikes, not slag off other members, thanks for the rather dubious welcome, I'm sure
sad.gif

I don't have any 'chip on my shoulder' as you put it! quite the reverse actually. I've been a Police Officer in Essex for over 29 years so I know very well the working practices of our Police Service and it is not as you stated. You clearly have absolutely no idea as to how they work. Essex Police are one of the leading forces in the UK on detection rates which currently run at around 30% which in simple terms means that 70% aren't detected but this is spread across all types of crime. Harlow area actually has one of the better detection rates but there are some areas of Essex such as Pitsea which is as low as 16%!!!

Having worked in Harlow myself some years ago I know first hand what a difficult area it is and with the current levels of cut backs and ever diminishing budgets much of the Policing has to be 'reactive' but I gues that in your 'TV Drama' view of the Police you wouldn't know this.

Clearly nobody is going to change your 'fashionable' dislike of the Police but I stand by what I previously said in that you should keep such 'know it all' derogatory comments to yourself in future.

It would be interesting to see what would happen in a similar situation in Norfolk which has a much lower crime rate but a correspondingly lower detection rate than Essex...

I don't have any 'chip on my shoulder' as you put it! quite the reverse actually. I've been a Police Officer in Essex for over 29 years so I know very well the working practices of our Police Service and it is not as you stated. You clearly have absolutely no idea as to how they work. Essex Police are one of the leading forces in the UK on detection rates which currently run at around 30% which in simple terms means that 70% aren't detected but this is spread across all types of crime. Harlow area actually has one of the better detection rates but there are some areas of Essex such as Pitsea which is as low as 16%!!!

Having worked in Harlow myself some years ago I know first hand what a difficult area it is and with the current levels of cut backs and ever diminishing budgets much of the Policing has to be 'reactive' but I gues that in your 'TV Drama' view of the Police you wouldn't know this.

Clearly nobody is going to change your 'fashionable' dislike of the Police but I stand by what I previously said in that you should keep such 'know it all' derogatory comments to yourself in future.

It would be interesting to see what would happen in a similar situation in Norfolk which has a much lower crime rate but a correspondingly lower detection rate than Essex...

Ah, the truth will out. What a surprise; so you're a copper, I never would have guessed...

There's nothing "fashionable" about my view of the police, it's based solely on my experience of them. So don't even go down that road.

Even if I watched tv - which I don't - I don't need to revert to any fictional drama, I grew up on a rough council estate and saw enough of the police - and their behaviour - to make my own mind up.

Your remarks have certainly not done anything to improve my view of the force, now kindly leave me the hell alone and find someone else to pick on.

gds58

Über Member
Ah, the truth will out. What a surprise; so you're a copper, I never would have guessed...

There's nothing "fashionable" about my view of the police, it's based solely on my experience of them. So don't even go down that road.

Even if I watched tv - which I don't - I don't need to revert to any fictional drama, I grew up on a rough council estate and saw enough of the police - and their behaviour - to make my own mind up.

Your remarks have certainly not done anything to improve my view of the force, now kindly leave me the hell alone and find someone else to pick on.

I can see from your attitude in your words where the 'chip on the shoulder' is fairly and squarely placed!! I will leave this alone now but let's just remember that it was your irresponsible and derogatory comments that started this off.

Get rid of that big chip on YOUR shoulder and your cycling will be so much easier!

Top Bottom