Hi, I'm based in Preston UK.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Triker

I've been on a learning curve the last two months when a friend in her late 80s bought an old trike. She has not even cycled much since her teens, when she did time trials. She says she is not ready for an electric mobility scooter yet. Her trike is only single speed and there is no possibilility of a rear derailleur. The gear ratio is very low and limits you to not much more than a fast walking speed. I have added an electric front hub. The low gear, combined with pedal assist, allows her to start up the steep slope at the entrance to her local park. But then she needs a higher gear. I've swapped the chainset from what I describe as 'kiddies cranks', with just 18 teeth and 110mm crank length to a temporary three ring set with 170mm cranks. The three rings combined with the electric hub should be adequate. Also added an old rear derailleur as a chain tensioner. There is no rear mount point so have improvised.

My original plan was to use a smaller rear cog (freewheel) but have no idea how to remove the old one. I wrote to the manufacturer, Teraplay, and was told that it may be possible to change the gear ratio and so I provided the serial number of the trike as requested. Since then I've had no reply. I would still like to replace the rear freewheel. The model is the Teraplay Tracker T5. This model has a fixed wheel device next to the freewheeI. You screw a bolt through the fixed wheel into the freewheel. The problem is that, with the bolt removed there is some friction between the fixed and the freewheel and so the rear chain tensioner does not operate once you stop pedalling. For that reason I wish to remove the fixie device and maybe then can replace the freewheel with a smaller cog. I would be very grateful if someone on Cyclechat can provide advice. Thanks.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
:welcome:
@mickle will be your best bet - what he doesn't know about adapted trikes isn't worth knowing.
He'll be along sometime - the @mickle thing pops an alert up that he'll see when he next longs in.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Get one with gears.

Attachments

• trike 001.JPG
    trike 001.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
T

Triker

Get one with gears.
Thanks, I agree - but it is not my bike. I think the 3 chain ring solution (maybe 20, 30 and 40 teeth) will work with a bottom bracket mounted front derailleur. The main problem at this point is the friction on the rear cog, so that it does not completely freewheel.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Ok so. Theraplay are one of those companies that operates in the margins of the mainstream cycling manufacturing industrial complex. They use standard / available cycle parts when it suits them, (rims, tyres, etc) but often they engineer their own solutions. This is well illustrated by their approach to the design and construction of their rear axle. I don't know from memory the layout of the trike in question, but hopefully they've moved on a bit from the era that I'm familiar with, when their rear axle mounted sprockets were non-replaceable. Yep.

I'm not going to beat around the bush. I admire very much the enormous efforts you've gone to to help your neighbour, but I think you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Theraplay trikes aimed squarely at the disability market and are designed for trundling around at no more than walking pace. Their natural habitat is the playground of a special needs school. They are extremely robust. At normal cycling speeds their shortcomings become impossible to ignore. Thanks to the combination of long wheelbase, narrow track and the location of the rider's centre of gravity they're not very stable. Thanks to the chronically underthunk shambles of mis-matched head angle and fork offset - and with handlebars mounted a long way behind the steering axis they don't go around corners with any dignity. And the single front brake, which is adequate at 4 mph when combined with a fixed wheel transmission - is wholly out of its depth at regular cycling speeds.

I'm sorry to be a party pooper, but I think you've made a mistake using this as a base. I'd suggest looking out for another 24" wheel trike of the sort imported by Mission cycles in the form of their adult Trilogy https://missioncycles.co.uk/product/mission-trilogy/ Put the Theraplay back as it was and sell it on, and transfer the front wheel motor. Trilogys run a regular rim brake on the front wheel combined with a drum on the rear, come with derailleur gears and a rear axle which you can actually work on - normal things like replacing the freewheel and fitting new bearings.

Sorry, I feel bad now.

What's the pro cycling bus station link?
A great 20th century building.
Which the council of course tried to knock down.
Preston’s Hugh Carthy, came 3rd in this year’s Tour of Spain including a win on the hardest stage. Those tasked with interviewing him have googled for background material on where he comes from hence the bus station has featured prominently in some of them ! He himself has waxed lyrical about butter pies and other local delicacies.
There’s a great interview with him by one of his team mates Mitch Docker...
https://lifeinthepeloton.com/2020/11/04/hugh-carthy-climbing-the-mountain/

OP
OP
T

Triker

Hi and many thanks. I am in awe of your comprehensive reply and your in-depth knowledge. Thank you for taking the time. From my limited knowledge I concluded that the design of this Theraplay model is the proverbial camel - a peculiar mix of front disk brake and suspension and, to quote their sales talk, "the T5 trike is designed for the more adventurous cyclist - created with a robust frame which is designed to absorb the bumps and hollows of our streets and pathways" and yet, as you explain, it is not desined for speeds greater than a fast walk.

I still cannot comrehend how Teraplay can market a bike with a single speed freewheel that looks like cannot be replaced. I suspect now that friction in that sprocket itself may be the problem so that it needs to be replaced. Initially I thought it was friction between the sprocket and the fixed wheel device. I agree with your advice and have passed it on and so she is considering her options. She needs a low step over and the Trilogy may be just a little too high.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom