Hi new member in the West Mids :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HarleyQuinn

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Lizzie, 35 year old about to start cycling again. For a number of years I've suffered a number of health set backs, primarily to do with my hands but Christmas eve I sadly suffered a stroke that I'm still recovering from.

One thing it did do was make me realise how unhealthy I have become, in the last 2 months while trying to quit smoking I've gained 10 pounds in weight which I recognise wont help with my recovery.

Needless to say I want to get fit, healthy and lose the weight I've gained over the last few years, on seeing my GP the other day she agrees riding a bike would be good for me, I haven't got a bike yet but I'm hoping to have one soon. I've also become quite reclusive over the last few years as my confidence had dropped.

I'm hoping taking up riding again will also let me meet lots of new people and hopefully some great friends.

Thanks for readin

Lizzie :smile:

sdr gb

Falling apart
Hello Lizzie:welcome:. Don't be afraid to ask for any advice on here, even if you think it is a silly question. Getting a bike will be one of the best decisions you'll ever make.

Good luck.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Blimey Lizzie - that's very young to have such health problems! Cycling should be a big help in sorting them out. Definitely stay off the cigarettes. Cycling will help you keep your weight down, as long as you don't use it as an excuse for extra cake, as some of us do! :whistle: :blush:

If you are willing to make the effort to get out and meet people, cycling is a great way of doing it. I've met over 80 CycleChat members so far and they are all nice people. Lots of us organise social rides (in -> this forum <-) so it is worth keeping an eye open for local ones.

I'd also suggest that you contact Dudley CTC (Cyclists Touring Club) - details here. CTC members are typically very sociable and encouraging to new riders.

Enjoy your cycling!

paulb55

Über Member
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Lizzie, 35 year old about to start cycling again. For a number of years I've suffered a number of health set backs, primarily to do with my hands but Christmas eve I sadly suffered a stroke that I'm still recovering from.

One thing it did do was make me realise how unhealthy I have become, in the last 2 months while trying to quit smoking I've gained 10 pounds in weight which I recognise wont help with my recovery.

Needless to say I want to get fit, healthy and lose the weight I've gained over the last few years, on seeing my GP the other day she agrees riding a bike would be good for me, I haven't got a bike yet but I'm hoping to have one soon. I've also become quite reclusive over the last few years as my confidence had dropped.

I'm hoping taking up riding again will also let me meet lots of new people and hopefully some great friends.

Thanks for readin

Hi Lizzie,

Good luck and i would try the following links out, Breeze is women only and the local Sky Rides are very good

http://www.goskyride.com/breeze

http://www.goskyride.com/SkyRideLocal

OP
OP
HarleyQuinn

HarleyQuinn

Firstly, thanks for the warm welcome, I appreciate it.

@ Rockymountain - I should have a bike soon hopefully, a friend has an old mountain bike in need of just a little TLC, as far as I'm aware it just needs new tubes n tires and maybe a good clean and grease. From my understanding it's been in storage for at least 10 years, I'm hoping it wont need a complete overhaul but I'll have to see.

@ sdr gb - I will definitely be seeking advice, whether it's regarding bike maintenance, route planning or should I mount furry dice on my handlebars (grins).

@ ColinJ - Sadly you're right I am a bit young to have the health problems I've had, this is especially true for the stroke I suffered, then again I was told the stroke was caused by a tiny hole in my heart, well it was a combination of factors but the hole was a major contributor as it's where the clot first formed.

I was lucky though, probably because although I didn't seek medical help straight away I did spend a little time in the recovery position and I took some Asprin, the Asprin undoubtable broke the clot down, granted my CT scan showed damage but it could have been much much worse.

The stroke shook me up a lot, it was frightening going through it and I never want to go through one again, I was surprised myself to learn holes in the heart are quite common, most of the time they close up or are so small they cause very few problems. It's only when you combine several factors that it can become problematic. Needless to say getting fit will definitely be to my benefit.

@ paulb55 - Thanks for the links and welcome.

@ User - Thanks, I've got a ride lined up it just might need some tlc.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Hi Lizzie and :welcome: I can vouch for the fact that CC's are the friendliest cyclists on the net.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi Lizzie.
You will get lots of advice on CC and some of it may even be good:laugh:.
I have just got back into cycling but as a 'for instance' I did a 25 mile on the Penine Way today and the number of people I spoke to and got advice re' routes etc. was amazing......do all cyclists take 'nice pills' before going out?????
Obviously I dont know your financial situation but it is just possible that an old/bad bike will completely put you off cycling as it can be such hard work.....if it isn't 1/2 decent and you can possible afford one that is do think about it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Lizzie, welcome to CChat! The weather is just right for you to start cycling, enjoy! :hello:

OP
OP
HarleyQuinn

HarleyQuinn

Thanks for more welcomes,

@ marshmella - Thanks :smile:

@ GetAGrip - I have a few cyclist friends who I correspond with and it was they who suggested I join here, going by the welcome I've had I agree with you, I'm looking forward to joining in more with everyone here.

@ Dave7 - Sadly due to how long I've been ill I'm not in a position to be choosy, I'd love nothing better than to get a good light bike set up just for me but I can't. One of my main problems is prior to this recent stroke I'd been having problems with my hands, if I grip an object for 15 mins my "hands" seize up around the object, also I have very little strength in my left hand after having surgery on that arm twice.

I think I can avoid my hands seizing up but I'll need to adjust the brakes so they don't need much effort to work, it'll probably take a little time and experimentation, I may have to see if anyone here has issues with their hands and how they cope. I am excited about getting back into cycling, I used to love it in my late teens and wish I hadn't stopped. I'm hoping that excitement bypasses any negatives regarding it being an older bike.

I'm told it's in excellent condition other than the wheels, so long as it's big enough and works it'll be a good start, maybe I can look into saving for a better bike eventually.

@ Pat "5mph" - Seeing how sunny it was today and feeling the warmth, I've gotta agree, I'm looking forward to getting out in that sun, sun glasses on and plenty of water and just enjoying a relaxing ride at my own pace, I'll probably run out of steam after a mile but if I plan it right I could relax in a park for a bit before going again. Today was definitely the right weather, lets hope it keeps up :smile:

Welcome Lizzie. If you read around the forum, you'll find more than a few members who've overcome health problems through cycling and a few more who cycle despite health problems. There's a quit smoking thread somewhere as well. Hopefully we'll all be of some help.

Of course, once you get the bike, it's compulsory to post pictures of it.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Welome. Please keep us updated on progress. It is always great to hear stories of people improving their health by getting on a bike, and hearing them rave about improvements in distance, fitness, etc as they get more experienced. Also good for you, as it gives you someone (some people?) to be accountable to - people who can encourage you and keep you going when times look tough. Which I guess they will at some point.

Look up Swampyseifer for a good-news story about getting riding again, but with downs as well as ups.

Top Bottom