Learning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swampyseifer

poor title, I was going to put "first experience", but then thought that sounded more like something for a different forum!

Anyway, yes...finally, after an entire 7 days my shiny new bike got its first proper taste of the outside air. I drove it to a mates house and he was teaching me to ride! He checked it over, seeing as I had part built it myself and I had got it all correct(!), he also moved the gear from the one it was on when I got it (1 on the left and right handlebars) to a middle gear (2 on the left and 4 out of 7 on the right). I dont really understand the gearing on bikes yet but he said basically by putting it in a "higher" gear means that I get more movement for less peddeling...so I could do like a half pedal with one foot and it'd get me moving enough to keep balance, whereas the gear it was in I would need to do several full revolutions to get the same movement! I think...

About 90 mins went past and we didnt seem to be getting too far really, I kept veering sharply when trying to correct my balance, I kept catching my feet on the pedals when trying to raise my "push-away" foot off the floor, I kept putting my foot down and stopping as soon as the bike went to lean instead of trying to pedal through it etc

Also it was quite wet out and we were on grass (dont ask me why but I acually found it a lot easier than being on a tarmac!) so there was a lot of feet slipping off pedals.

The friend was running alongside me with a hand on my shoulder to help my balance, and calling out reminders like "keep peddeling", "dont slow down" "remember to make small adjustements" etc

Anyway, long story short...eventually it all started to come together. I was remembering to make tiny small adjustments with the handlebars and also to lean as well, I was consistently riding around 40-60 feet, and when I did finally loose balance I was using the brakes to come to a stop and put my foot down!

Anyway, we had finally reached the big moment, my first solo flight....I walked the bike back to the starting point and got on, stood there a minute while he ran over some last minute reminders. I looked down and *BOOM* the front tyre was flat!!!

Dont know when it went, I never felt anything on the ride before,I assume it happened at the end as I had veered off a bit to the left and stopped right before crashing into a bush...so I guess there was something in the leaves that I had run over and it had punctured the tyre!

So yeah, can you f-ing believe it...30mins before that I would have been glad of a puncture as I was starting to get sick of trying and not seeming to go anywhere, but man I was making some good progress at that point and now I couldnt go any further. It was also around 3pm so even if I'd driven to halfords/LBS and bought a puncture repair kit it would have been dark by the time we'd got back going.

Unbelieveably bad timing eh?

Still, I'm off out to buy a repairkit/inner tube whichever is cheapest and then I guess it'll be time to learn how to repair a puncture/replace an innertube!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What a nice post, I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing you're a little older than most people are when they learn to ride a bike. Just shows, you're never too old to learn to ride a bike or to enjoy it. Good on you and good on your mate too :thumbsup:
Bummer on the puncture, but it's all part of the learning experience :pump:
You'll be flying down the tarmac soon :becool:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Just so you know, you're not even half a proper cyclist until you've crashed into at least one bush, so you can cross that off your list already ;)

loops

its just a matter of minutes (can't commit to how many!) next time you hop on:bicycle: you are going to be sooo glad you did ^_^

Blue

Legendary Member
Now that you have joined the cycling community we may as well get the silly question, that will be asked by family and friends, out of the way. So are you going to enter the Tour de France, then?

Well done, and 'keep her lit'.

Nebulous

Guru
You know - I've read a few of your posts and I'm really impressed with your attitude. Although we all have gaps in our knowledge/ skills etc we tend not to share them with others, in case its seen as a sign of weakness. It takes courage to 'put youself out there' but you're certainly doing it.

Good luck - keep it going. Changing a puncture is pretty straight forward - but unfortunately is a common part of cycling. You'll soon find that you need more kit than you would have thought possible.

Cubist

Still wavin'
:highfive:
Get in! No time at all before you'll be cruising along! Thanks for sharing, it's a wonderful post.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A tip for you so you don't waste hours getting frustrated and hurting your fingers: when you change a tyre, sprinkle talc liberally all over the bead and the rim; talc is the best dry lubricant for sticky rubber and it will make tyre changing a breeze.

Martinm

Regular
Well done mate, keep up the practice (when you've done the repair). Just remember you can only get better and with your positive attitude it'll be sooner rather than later.

ATB

Martin

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

hey all...

thanks for the comments and the good luck wishes!

I am indeed a little older than your average person learning to ride, I'll be 29 in 2 months!!

Not sure about a tour de france just yet!

I did only get a repair kit today. I'm loathe to go out spending too much moola until I can ride and am certain its going to be more than a once every now and then thing.

Nebulous - I guess I have kept it to myself all these years as even though people wouldnt bat an eyelid at someone my age who couldnt drive a car, or couldnt swim...everyone always seems so amazed that I cant ride a bike! But I guess now that I am actually doing something about it, its not as bad...cuz if someone did question the fact I cant ride at my age, I can at least now say that I'm working on it.

Anyway, puncture all repaired. No real problems to report, the hardest bit was putting the tyre back on, as the more of it I had pushed back under the rim, the tighter it became. I checked the innertube with the good ol "under-water" method and found the tiniest hole that was smack-bang on the seam! Checked the rest of the innertube and couldnt find no more air escaping, also ran my hand round the inside of the tyre and couldnt feel anything out of place...so I hope its not just a bad innertube that going to keep going on the seam!

Anyway, you would not believe how much pain I was in last night and this morning with my buttocks...well, it feels more like the bone (bottom of my hip?) that is sore. I dont think I could have taken getting back on the bike today - I guess I'm just not used to sitting on something as firm as a bike seat, far too much squidgy sofa-action instead. Still, I am working from home tomorrow so I should be able to get an hour in during my lunch break!

Oh, one last thing....can anyone advise on why I might always seem to veer to the left when pushing off? Though saying that I veer more to the left than the right most of the time...so maybe i just naturally left leftwards?

snorri

Legendary Member
Oh, one last thing....can anyone advise on why I might always seem to veer to the left when pushing off? Though saying that I veer more to the left than the right most of the time...so maybe i just naturally left leftwards?
It's a northern hemisphere thing, same as the bathwater always swirling around the plughole in the same direction however much you try to persuade it to do otherwise. Something we just all have to live with.:sad:
Do you tend to look towards the left? There is a theory that you will run into a thing if you look at continuously. I think it might be in your mind, if you can stop thinking about veering you will probably stop veering quite soon now. Good Luck :thumbsup:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
hey all...

Veering to the left is entirely natural, eventually you learn to control it so it becomes more of a "steering" or "leaning" to the left. The very best leaners in the world become professional sprinters, this is why velodrome races are always anti-clockwise because of the natural left leanings of the riders. You could have a very bright future ahead of you! :thumbsup:
It also means you wont fall on your derailleur, which is why they are mounted on the right. :smile:
More seriously, it's just a learning thing and you'll soon be compensating for any little deviations one way or the other without even thinking about it. Which foot are you pushing off with?

Top Bottom