Learning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

Unfortuantely not...but this has been the third bike stolen in a few years so they are planning on it!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Really sorry to hear that:sad: . It's awful that they haven't even considered CCTV 'til 3 bikes have gone missing! I hope you'll be lucky and that it turns up.

Could I suggest that when you replace your lock you get a key type. You'd be surprised how easily some of the combination ones can be cracked.

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

whats even worse is the only people with access past the garage doors are people who park their cars there...so *in theory* its likely thats its someone who lives here!

Yeah, I've heard that its quite easy to get past combination locks. You just pull the cable where it connects into the lock and then slowly turn the numbers one by one, you'll feel the cable give slightly each time you get a number right...

Biggest annoyance is that I'm not sure I can afford another bike for a while now...as it was I sold my gorgeous Les Paul (which I admitedly didnt play anymore) to be able to afford the bike!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Terrible news Swampy. If there is anything positive that comes from this it's that you have learned another valuable cycling lesson..... Always be paranoid about bicycle security!

At least you have gained this valuable knowledge without losing the £1k dream machine you are sure to end up with within a year or two :blush:

I wonder if anyone on the forum has a spare hack bike they could donate to get you back on the road. I gave away an old but good Raleigh MTB a few months ago to a forum member but that was a lady frame :rolleyes:

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

I'm not sure about the insurance yet, need to find the documentation for it.

Oh and just to make this an even worse weekend, woke up to find one of our little hamsters dead!

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

Yo all...second time this evening that I'm ressurecting a thread!

Just to say that I was missing my riding, so I got in touch with some local bikeability people to see if they could give me an hours riding providing they supplied a bike! I ended working with a very nice man called Nick Pitt (http://www.ctc-maps.org.uk/training/trainer/2148/details) who brought a Giant MTB with him.

He was very understanding of my lack of confidence and we met in a quiet industrial estate where I had plenty of space to cycle with no concerns of cars or people going past! Also it beneficial that he could help to adjust the bike to suit my dimensions better than I can on my old bike.

I basically just did a large "bone shaped" (sort of (=======) shape) route over and over, learning to relax my body (as I really tense up on the bike) and keep my vision on whats in front of me and not whats happening on the floor. We worked on making my turns more free and relaxed and less jarring and sudden. Also managed to get me coasting on the straight between the turns at either end of the bone. No offence to those who have helped me out so far with my riding (in person, not you guys, you're great!) but have soneone there who could see the notice the small mistakes I made and have the knowledge to explain how what I'm doing wrong is affecting my ride. For example, my tensing up is not only causing undue strain on my muscles and means that my movements are jerky and not smooth, but also it holds my weight off the bike which means that I'm less "grounded", the centre of gravity is raised and the bike is less stable.

Hebe

getting better all the time
That sounds great Swampy. I hope you can sort out a replacement bike at some point - are there any police auctions near you at all?

The best thing I ever did for my riding was booking some sessions with a bikeability instructor, she got me riding so much more smoothly and confidently. That kind of stuff you only need to be shown once or twice as you can tell the difference on the bike so fast that it soon becomes second nature.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Gutted you lost your bike Swampy. I'd expect your home insurance to cover it, and having video footage of the bike should be proof enough? Failing that, Freecycle might have something suitable.

Nice to know you've not given up. Good on you :smile:

*I still nominate this for thread of the year

Top Bottom