Learning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Watching QI the other night and they showed an item about how any blindfolded person told to walk in a straight line will always actually loop round in a clockwise direction even though they swear they are walking in a straight line. Weird if it's true.

Globalti

Legendary Member
"the hardest bit was putting the tyre back on, as the more of it I had pushed back under the rim, the tighter it became."

...as I wrote, if you had used talc it would have slipped on easily. I find I don't usually need tyre levers to replace a well-dusted tyre.

The sore sit bones are at the bottom of your pelvis and they are what take the majority of your weight. A small amount of weight should also be taken on your perineum, which is the bit between the legs. In order to achieve a comfortable sitting position you will need to experiment with the height and position and posture of the saddle - it can be raised and lowered, slid back and forth and the angle of cant adjusted. For most blokes a slightly nose-up posture seems to work best.

You are using padded shorts, worn next to the skin, I hope? A bike saddle will make you sore if you are wearing just trousers.

Bicycle

Excellent tale.

Cycling is one of those things that people can wrte off if they didn't learn in childhood.

There is something very good about just saying 'Fuggit' and jumping on and having a go.

Well done also to your pal for helping.

The really good thing is that you will not now lose the ability to ride.

In that sense, it's a lot like riding a bike. You just don't lose the ability.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Can't wait for the next instalment :hello:

Keep it going and you'll feel very natural on a bike in a short time - just in time for the snow, ice and the rest of winter ..... :laugh:

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

Thanks again for all the comments!

I do push off with my left foot and have the right already on the pedal, nearly at the top, so that as I push off I can get a whole have turn with the right foot to get an initial boost of speed.

I guess as you say I'll just get used to it and correcting it will be as natural as the rest of it.

Unfortunately I hadnt read your post about the talc to make tyre changes easier! I will certainly have a go with that next time.

I do think that the seat needs to be tipped back so the nose is pushing up, it is something I discussed with my friend at the time. I found myself slipping forwards a bit.

Umm, padded shorts? err...nope! Just jeans and pants! Could explain why I'm still feeling it now!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Thanks again for all the comments!

I do push off with my left foot and have the right already on the pedal, nearly at the top, so that as I push off I can get a whole have turn with the right foot to get an initial boost of speed.

I guess as you say I'll just get used to it and correcting it will be as natural as the rest of it.

Unfortunately I hadnt read your post about the talc to make tyre changes easier! I will certainly have a go with that next time.

I do think that the seat needs to be tipped back so the nose is pushing up, it is something I discussed with my friend at the time. I found myself slipping forwards a bit.

Umm, padded shorts? err...nope! Just jeans and pants! Could explain why I'm still feeling it now!

When I studied psychology (so long ago) they said that cycling was one of those things that you learn to 'over-mastery' - you are literally learning with every second in the saddle - that's why riding a bike is one skill that you never forget - even if you go years in between bikes.

As for the padded shorts, well they do help, but familiarity helps more - put simply - the more you ride the less your bum will hurt!

snorri

Legendary Member
Just keep at it and your rear end will soon get used to cycling!
There should be no need for padding unless you are doing big mileages. If you begin to believe you cannot cycle without padding you will not cycle as much as you could because of the inconvenience of getting changed first.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't wear padded cycle shorts and, apart from a flirtation in the 90's when I did a lot of MTB'ing with friends and we all wore padded lycra shorts because the summers were endless and cycle shorts pretty much all came with padding, never have done. If you are used to it it is fine. I wear regular briefs and either cotton/denim type shorts or, now the weather is cooler, running tights over the same briefs.

A forum member was surprised when I mentioned this on a recent forum ride where I covered 88 miles during the day and would have happily hopped back on into the saddle that night or the following morning without any wincing.

Don't think you have to rush out and get 'all the gear'. Sensible clothing choice will suffice for almost all riding at an early level.

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't wear padded cycle shorts and, apart from a flirtation in the 90's when I did a lot of MTB'ing with friends and we all wore padded lycra shorts because the summers were endless and cycle shorts pretty much all came with padding, never have done. If you are used to it it is fine. I wear regular briefs and either cotton/denim type shorts or, now the weather is cooler, running tights over the same briefs.

A forum member was surprised when I mentioned this on a recent forum ride where I covered 88 miles during the day and would have happily hopped back on into the saddle that night or the following morning without any wincing.

Don't think you have to rush out and get 'all the gear'. Sensible clothing choice will suffice for almost all riding at an early level.

+1 on the shorts, I've never worn padding, I wear touring shorts in the summer and tights in the winter, with bamboo support trunks underneath. As I like Skol said theres no need to rush out and get all the gear at the moment, your doing a Stirling job learning to ride the bike and you just need to concentrate on that for now, well done for what you've achieved so far.

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

LOL - "the ultimate in performance underwear" apparently! Very swish dave!

I think the model that Skol found has a cucumber stuck down there or something!

I will stick with common clothing anyway...I'm not sure about tight lycra though, I really dont have the legs for it!

The only thing I have avoided wearing is my combats because they are quite flappy around the ankle and the last thing I want is to get that caught up in the gears!

Unfortunaltely it was a busy day working from home yesterday and I used my lunchtime to go to the gym, I dont pay £30-odd a month for the priviledge of owning a bike, I do for the priviledge of using the gym - so that won! The next day I should have some time will be Friday - I will make sure I get out there though, as although you never forget how to ride, it wont help my learning to have too long between "lessons"!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That was me modelling the lingerie! :whistle:

By the way, once you have mastered the cycling skill there's nothing to stop you from riding to the gym, doubling up on the benefits of more exercise and lowering transport costs. I keep telling this to my partner but she doesn't listen :headshake:

daSmirnov

Whenever getting on a bike for the first time in a while your backside will be hurting for a day or so. After not riding for a couple of months at the end of last year, I just noticed I was sore getting on the bike the next day. Might last a few days, or maybe a week if you're not used to it.

I can happily do 40 miles in jeans without any discomfort. So don't feel the need to get yourself some shorts right away. Saying that lycra does have some advantages, so it might be something to look at once you start doing longer distances, especially if you're pushing hard and its a hot day. Or if you want to show off your new rock hard tree trunk sized muscle legs.:becool:

Anyway, you would not believe how much pain I was in last night and this morning with my buttocks...well, it feels more like the bone (bottom of my hip?) that is sore. I dont think I could have taken getting back on the bike today - I guess I'm just not used to sitting on something as firm as a bike seat, far too much squidgy sofa-action instead. Still, I am working from home tomorrow so I should be able to get an hour in during my lunch break!?
It does take a while for your rear to get used to cycling, I think mine took about 2 weeks before never complaining again :smile:

Top Bottom