Learning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daSmirnov

Nice work. So when are we doing the Milton Keynes group ride?^_^

Couple of tips on the gears, since I'm always trying to explain this to the other half (who commutes by bike and I'm sure only uses 2 gears!), and a couple of fellow semi-newbie mountain bikers who don't understand and spend most of their time walking when we go for a ride *sigh*, I'd like to say I'm quite good at it.

First up, most of your changes should be with the back gears. Using the rear dérailleur, which is usually controlled by the shifter on the right of your handle bars. Shifting on the back is less of a dramatic big-bang approach to gearing, and they shift pretty rapidly compared to shifting on the front where it can be half a pedal rotation before the chain has finished settling in.

Just dealing with the back gears is easy. The largest cog on the back is like 1st on a car, and so on until the smallest cog is your highest gear.

Then think of your front gears as the different terrain gears. So the largest cog on the front is your flat-out going fast mode, great for nice smooth surfaces and down hills, but a difficult grind on anything else. The middle is your steady run of the mill gears, probably good for riding on grass. And then the smallest cog on the front is your extreme hill climbing gears. A lot of my rides I don't even touch the front gears at all, so you shouldn't find yourself needing to change them that often unless you're doing some hill climbing.

Halfords should have it sorted now. If he was flicking around all the gears without any grinding noises it should be sorted. If it's a new bike, the cables have probably stretched a little bit, so they'd just need a slight tightening that's pretty normal.

But since your fixing punctures, maybe tuning your dérailleurs is next on the list. :-)

+1 for tucking trousers into socks.

Hatties

Hi I'm a learner too. I've very recently started cycling. I was about 10 the last time I cycled and now I'm in my 40s. I loved cycling when I was a kid and went everywhere on my bike. It was easy peasy and such a fun. But now I'm discovering how physically demanding cycling is. My age is contributing the factor but also I'm so unfit beyond I thought I was. I can't do any more than 2 miles at the moment. Let alone hills. I can't even do the gentlest and/or the shortest of the hills.

I seem to have forgotten how to balance properly at the slow speed too. Both at the start or when I'm stopping. I'm fine once I get going at a speed though. Turning a corner is also a challenge as my ride gets so unstable and both hands need to be on the handle, which makes me unable to give a turning sign. This problem actually puzzles me. I didn't have this problem when I was learning to ride a bike when I was a kid. As a kid, once I learnt how to balance, the bike became like a part of my body. It was as easy as that. I'm wondering if it's due to the small wheel of my bike (it's a Brompton btw).

I'm currently doing the on-road practice in a quiet residential area. It is very quiet but drivers in this area are so impatient with cyclists. There are hardly any cyclists in this area and those with the bike are mostly school kids on the MTB and they all cycle on the pavement. I guess people think cycling should be done on the pavement and seeing me going on the road must be an unbelievable sight to them. I've already encountered a close pass, verbal abuse and horns... but perhaps I was the one to blame. I'm still an incompetent cyclist anyway.

I meant to start commuting by bike in January but it doesn't look like it's happening so soon. There are so many to conquer. The balance problem, building the fitness level and the road skills. A very long way to go!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've already encountered a close pass, verbal abuse and horns... but perhaps I was the one to blame. I'm still an incompetent cyclist anyway.
Very unlikely you're the one to blame, unless you were veering all over the road :smile: Far more likely they were impatient drivers that would have had the same attitude to any other road user they thought was holding them up, same type of people that will beep at the learner driver that stalls at the lights. Unfortunately as a cyclist you're an even easier target :sad:
Don't let it put you off though, your confidence with other vehicles will grow as your cycling skills return and improve, it's all about the practice.
How long is the commute you're planning?
Welcome too :hello:

D

Deleted member 1258

Hi I'm a learner too. I've very recently started cycling. I was about 10 the last time I cycled and now I'm in my 40s. I loved cycling when I was a kid and went everywhere on my bike. It was easy peasy and such a fun. But now I'm discovering how physically demanding cycling is. My age is contributing the factor but also I'm so unfit beyond I thought I was. I can't do any more than 2 miles at the moment. Let alone hills. I can't even do the gentlest and/or the shortest of the hills.

I seem to have forgotten how to balance properly at the slow speed too. Both at the start or when I'm stopping. I'm fine once I get going at a speed though. Turning a corner is also a challenge as my ride gets so unstable and both hands need to be on the handle, which makes me unable to give a turning sign. This problem actually puzzles me. I didn't have this problem when I was learning to ride a bike when I was a kid. As a kid, once I learnt how to balance, the bike became like a part of my body. It was as easy as that. I'm wondering if it's due to the small wheel of my bike (it's a Brompton btw).

I'm currently doing the on-road practice in a quiet residential area. It is very quiet but drivers in this area are so impatient with cyclists. There are hardly any cyclists in this area and those with the bike are mostly school kids on the MTB and they all cycle on the pavement. I guess people think cycling should be done on the pavement and seeing me going on the road must be an unbelievable sight to them. I've already encountered a close pass, verbal abuse and horns... but perhaps I was the one to blame. I'm still an incompetent cyclist anyway.

I meant to start commuting by bike in January but it doesn't look like it's happening so soon. There are so many to conquer. The balance problem, building the fitness level and the road skills. A very long way to go!

Well done for starting to cycle again, just keep working on it, be patient, don't try and rush it, and it will come. :thumbsup:

Hatties

How long is the commute you're planning?

err... it's 12 miles each way. I know it's way too far for a novice like me. I don't think I can cycle all the way so soon. I'll be mostly train and a little cycling first. I'll gradually extend the cycling part.

When I'm driving, I am often able to predict the next move of an SUV or a white van following closely behind me would be. Perhaps I can get this skills when I'm on my bike if I see more of those impatient drivers. :tongue:

Yeah I do need to practice more. I look exactly like a learner if you see me at a junction. Oh wait... would I get a little sympathy from non habitually impatient drivers if I stuck a big red L stuck on my helmet? I wonder...

Btw, where's swampy? I don't mean to hijack this thread though. Come baaack!

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

Hey, sorry people! Had a mad rush on at work (creating 16 XML webforms for our main system in a week!) and also I was behind with some Uni stuff!

Anyway, I'm back! Firstly thanks for all the people wishing me well. I'm glad I have warmed the hearts...certainly need it at this time of year.:cold:

Thanks Mr Smirnov...that could be the first explanation of the gears I've had where there arent words like cadence, gyroscopic and forwards thrust! That actually makes sense! So for me on the grass, leave front gear in the middle and flick between the rears to change the difficulty/speed...with the largest (or number 1) as the lowest speed, most resistance...and the smallest (or number 7) as the highest, least resistance! I dont even know what a derailleur is never mind what it has to do with shortened cables or how to tweak it! I think I need to read some kind of "bike maintenance 101"!

hatties...good to see you and well done for getting back on the bike! I know exactly what you mean about having no balance at low speed, but going faster makes it easier.

Sadly what with being busy...and the weather...I havent been back out since taking the bike to Halfords. I will make a point of ensuring I do check it this Friday when i'm working from home...

You're braver than me for going on roads anyway, I'm still nervous about coming off the grass!

I concur with DaveR though, it will just come to you. I should know, one minute I was unable to even push off from standing...then I could push off but instantly veered sideways and came off...then I could push off and go forward maybe 5 feet before loosing balance...then I could manage maybe 10-15 feet...now I can go for a good 20-30 seconds before stopping

I must say tho that I think its my fitness levels being so low and tbh my weight. I know being on grass wont help either. its so much effort to pedal round! Still, in theory I'm getting lighter (lost 5 stone so far this year) so the extra effort required can only help eh?!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Just get the practice in. Give it another go soon, and then get to the point where you are doing 5-10 minutes outside the house every evening when you get home. You'll soon get bored of this, but it'll get you to the next level.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nice one. Its easy to forget that not everyone rides a bike as a kid. I have a friend who is in his 60s and cant swim. He has lived next to the sea and worked on small boats all his life.

Re padded shorts you dont really need any special clothing unless you plan on rides lasdting several hours.I only wear padded shorts on rides lasting longer than about 5 hours. Maybe you did too much for the first attempt got to break yourself in gently.You may benefit from a smear of vaseline around the contact area.

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

Re padded shorts you dont really need any special clothing unless you plan on rides lasdting several hours.I only wear padded shorts on rides lasting longer than about 5 hours. Maybe you did too much for the first attempt got to break yourself in gently.You may benefit from a smear of vaseline around the contact area.

My first proper bike session (the one with the friend) was about 3 hours...but I think what didnt help then was because I kept coming to unplanned abrupt stops, I was jarring against the seat. Now that I generally am able to come to a calm stop when I want to, it doesnt seem to hurt anywhere near as much.

Also I keep meaning to tip the seat slightly upwards...as its flat at the moment

D

Deleted member 1258

My first proper bike session (the one with the friend) was about 3 hours...but I think what didnt help then was because I kept coming to unplanned abrupt stops, I was jarring against the seat. Now that I generally am able to come to a calm stop when I want to, it doesnt seem to hurt anywhere near as much.

Also I keep meaning to tip the seat slightly upwards...as its flat at the moment

be aware that raising the nose of the saddle may lead to numb nuts, I always set my saddles level using a builders spirit level, nose of saddle to high can cause numb nut, nose of saddle to low can lead to aching wrists.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
be aware that raising the nose of the saddle may lead to numb nuts, I always set my saddles level using a builders spirit level, nose of saddle to high can cause numb nut, nose of saddle to low can lead to aching wrists.
I've heard there's a special saddle you can get to help with that :whistle:

OP
OP
swampyseifer

swampyseifer

Funny you should say that, I have found that my wrists really do ache a lot. I assumed its because the seat is too high for the handlebars and all my weight is leaning forward...

Dan_h

+1 to that! On any new bike I would always start out with the saddle dead flat. If you find you are getting problems with too much weight on your hands then you could tilt it back a little, but be aware that we are talking a tiny amount at a tine, a change can be almost imperceptible to the eye, but your sensitive regions may well notice!

D

Deleted member 1258

Funny you should say that, I have found that my wrists really do ache a lot. I assumed its because the seat is too high for the handlebars and all my weight is leaning forward...

Its possible that your stem is a little to long or the bars are a little to low or your saddle is a little tilted down, these are things to sort out later perhaps, its more important to concentrate on riding the bike at the moment

Top Bottom