Hi newbi needs help needed with avg speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

urbanrider

Hi newbi needs help with avg speed

Hi first time poster:biggrin:

i have been riding to work for about 3 months (20 miles round trip) and enjoying it very much (except battling with them metal things with 4 wheels) the bike that I'm riding is the giant escape M1, I also have a garmin edge 205. My problem is that my Avg speed is about 12-13 mph and has you can see that's very slow and getting a road bike is a no deal at the moment
So please could peeps give me some tips and help in getting the Avg higher
thanks all :ohmy:
urban.rider

P.S i am 43 years young :ohmy:

Noodley

thinner and less knobbly tyres?

or just try harder :ohmy:

And welcome to the forum. :ohmy:

Mr Phoebus

What Noodley said, slick MTB tyres pumped right up to decrease rolling resistance, you should go about 2 mph faster for the same effort you're putting in now.
BTW, 13mph average, you'll find that's about the average speed most people do.

Edit: Ah! I see you already have slicks, just keep at it anyway.

Noodley

riding in the town/city will inevitably involve lots of slower riding for avoiding obstacles and junctions etc. which will bring the average speed down.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Some people (including me:blush:) have their computer set to stop when you stop, so an average is of time actually moving, not total ride time.

This can give you a much better looking average speed!:ohmy::ohmy::tongue::evil:

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

zimzum42 said:
Some people (including me:blush:) have their computer set to stop when you stop, so an average is of time actually moving, not total ride time.

This can give you a much better looking average speed!:ohmy::biggrin::tongue::evil:

think i'll try that :ohmy::biggrin:

chris42

All you need to do is relax and enjoy your riding.
the further you ride more regularly the better your fitness will be.
the speed will come but will take a little time and consistancy in your riding.

jay clock

Massive member
that sounds pretty reasonable for the type of riding, and the bike. My neighbour has one and it is pretty hefty. They tyres are slick, but not very narrow - you could try narrower tyres pumped up hard. But I would realx and enjoy the ride

Top Bottom