Hi! Newbie with a front derailleur question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm a slightly overweight 36 year old trying to get back into mountain biking after about 20 years away!

Recently bought a Lapierre Zesty (think it's a 2011 model) which I really love.

It was supplied with a single chain ring fitted, but with a big and small ring and front derailleur in a bag. I've tried running it single ring, but the hills are too steep here (Holmfirth, Peak District) and I've come off a couple of times because I can't maintain a decent speed up the rocky trails.

I can't work out how to fit the derailleur. It's a Shimano FD M770 10, which I assume but can't be certain has been previously fitted.

I've attached a picture of the mounting bit on the bike (sorry it's so dirty!).

The holes on the derailleur don't line up with those on the frame.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Attachments

• 32C74593-33DD-45B0-94D5-34DF7560B1A5.jpeg
    32C74593-33DD-45B0-94D5-34DF7560B1A5.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 29
Apparently, according to this thread there's a plate which spans the holes to allow the mech to fit. Maybe your LBS would be able to help.

Good job on getting back out there too!

OP
OP
Skyranger

Skyranger

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it.

Might drop a note to lapierre, maybe they've got a plate knocking about.

Failing that, I'll have to find my local shop. Nothing is local round here!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Does your bike have the L/H shifter for gears on the handlebars?

These are normally separate units from the brake lever and could also have been removed meaning you will need to source one of those as well.
Just as an aside, and slightly off topic. This just goes to illustrate my long standing belief that the 1x fad that has currently gripped the cycling world is not an improvement and actually reduces the versatility of the bikes in the real world!

Venod

Eh up
This just goes to illustrate my long standing belief that the 1x fad that has currently gripped the cycling world is not an improvement and actually reduces the versatility of the bikes in the real world!

This I find very true, I managed ti find a good deal on a Cannondale, it had single speed which wasn't my prefered choice but I used it for year+, I was never very happy with the gearing top and bottom end, so I now have fitted a double chainset that IMO improves the bike versatility and reduces the extreme chainlines if you avoid cross chaining.

OP
OP
Skyranger

Skyranger

Does your bike have the L/H shifter for gears on the handlebars?

This just goes to illustrate my long standing belief that the 1x fad that has currently gripped the cycling world is not an improvement and actually reduces the versatility of the bikes in the real world!

Hi. Yep, bike was supplied with a shifter which I've fitted and routed cable. It came with everything except an obvious way of fitting the derailleur.

I've really tried to get on with single chain ring, I like the idea of a bit less weight and complication, but it just hasn't worked for me. I can't turn the pedals fast enough to be smooth on very steep hills which leads to a pulsing at the back wheel, I then lose traction on the loose stuff, fail to unclip out of the pedals and fall over! This has happened A LOT.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
I'm going to move this to bike mechanics for a better response.

Top Bottom