Hi-Vis OR Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
We've covered the example of being taken for traffic or other lights already, and it's extremely unlikely. Even if it does happen, a red traffic light will make a driver stop.

As for being taken for a motorcycle. Bingo!!! That sort of uncertainly is exactly what I want. I'd be even happier if I was taken for an HGV trailer.

The point I'm trying to make is that if someone thinks you're a motorcycle in the distance (or a red traffic light in the distance), they'll behave as if you're, well, in the distance and pull out on you thinking you're far away. This is A Bad Thing if you're not actually in the distance. I grant you it may be less likely to happen with really bright lights, but not everyone uses these.
And yes, it is very unlikely that someone will mistake a bike light for a distant red traffic light (or vice versa), but it does happen. I know, I've done it myself.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The reverse happens, in my experience. Drivers don't pull out on you when they think that you're a motorcycle. Sometimes it's embarrassing, especially when I'm sweating and puffing uphill like an overweight snail. When they can't see anything around my bright tailight, they don't usually pass as aggressively or as closely. I see much more patience and holding back.

Bicycle

I find this 'motorcycle or bicycle' angle fascinating, but have nothing clever to add to it.

I am a very experienced former motorcyclist who is now too nervous to ride one.

I still ride bicycles (a lot) and suffer no fear apart from at the obvious times.

It's the speed of motorcycles that put me off - and the speed at which things go wrong if they do...

But getting back to the topic of the thread, I really think the trick is to look at other cyclists when driving and replicate where possible the dress, illumination and road position of those who appear most visible to car drivers.

I'm not sure that car drivers are often fooled by a cyclist who may appear motorcycle-like or vice versa. Some people seem to judge speed and distance poorly. I think it's that simple.

I've been hit by drivers who mis-judged my speed, but that wasn't because they thought I was a motorcycle or a jet-ski.... they just mis-judged the thing and then there was a bang.

A sensible combination of brightly coloured clothing and lights should keep the risk low. That's as good as it's ever going to get. The risk will always be there.

And never ride after dark without lights.

Jezston

Über Member
The reverse happens, in my experience. Drivers don't pull out on you when they think that you're a motorcycle. Sometimes it's embarrassing, especially when I'm sweating and puffing uphill like an overweight snail. When they can't see anything around my bright tailight, they don't usually pass as aggressively or as closely. I see much more patience and holding back.

While I'm sure there's a lot of truth in what you are saying, I still can't help feeling that confusing drivers as to what you are could cause potentially dangerous unpredictable behaviour. I'd rather be figuratively shouting "there's a guy on a bike here!" from as far away as possible and expect other road users to react to this in a safe and considerate fashion as prescribed by the highway code, but of course we know that doesn't always happen either.

Be nice to see some serious study into all this. Seems such studies that have been brought up here before have been a bit limited and often flawed.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I really really don't want to look like a cyclist. Uncertainty in drivers' minds never reduces safety, on the contrary it increases safety. Uncertainty means potential harm to the driver/the driver's vehicle, it means slow down and take more care. Certainty does the opposite, and it's much more likely to be bad and scary for the cyclist. There are lots of studies out there showing how naked streets, junctions with no traffic lights, no pedestrian railings, etc, all create uncertainty and also create safety, slower vehicle speeds, and more pleasant conditions for the more vulnerable road users.

Cyclists aren't as easily identifiable as cyclists at night, which is why so many people on here and other forums report how much better riding at night is, and how much further out drivers pass them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I really really don't want to look like a cyclist.

You don't mate, deckchair on wheels innit !:tongue: :biggrin:

Top Bottom